Why I can't get behind McCain... (1 Viewer)

I just cannot get behind him anyway. All his snide remarks about Ron Paul and making faces at the debates. Not a candidate in my book.

I'm starting to warm up to him a bit again but I doubt it will warm up enough for me to vote for him. Strictly on issues he's probably the closest to my politics when he's not pandering.

The joyful development will be watching Republicans get in line behind McCain to salvage what pitiful husk of the party remains in the fall. the saving grace of the Republicans remains the Democrat's yen for self-immolation. A hillary candidacy will make McCain attractive to even the most fervent McCain hater.

I think him tempermentally unsuited for the office. Reason magazine highlighted his authoritarian maverick streak, but even that may pale given the alternative.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/118937.html

Even though his popularity is surging right now, I just can't get behind McCain because of his abysmal record. From McCain-Fiengold to his record against Industry and for enemy combatants.

this article does a good job of highlighting much of what I cannot and will not support:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YjUzOGY0ODA1YzBmNjFhOWE5NWU0OTY5NTZiOGNhOGQ=
Come one, dude. Any time someone accuses someone of being "the worst ever" at anything, you can pretty much throw that article out the window as an objectively written piece. McCain is hated by the ultra-conservatives because his views are too moderate and he's susceptible to compromise. Makes sense for most Americans, but that's just crazy talk for the extreme right-wing folks. The basic argument here is that McCain opposed the ultra right-wing leaders, thus he's unfit for the Presidency. IMO, that makes him the best qualified.

McCain's pandering is hard to watch, but he's simply accepted it as a rite of passage if he wants to be President. No one will be President unless they swallow what must be a bitter pill. McCain took the high road in 2000 and was trounced because of it.

While McCain might show some authoritarian tendencies, I am not aware of any underhanded dealings to circumvent the checks and balances that have been placed in our government. That's not to say that there are none, just none that I have read. I would certainly invite anyone to share with me evidence to the contrary.

We can certainly do better than McCain, but I don't see them running in this election yet...

There is a lot to like about McCain, but some of his positions aren't conservative.

McCain has a shot. Though both nominations are still up for grabs, those wagering would probably give McCain and Clinton the edge.

In a contest against Hillary, McCain will be competitive with independents. And on every substantive issue and personal trait that you have problems with McCain on, is Hillary any better?

I have real questions about the temperament of McCain. He's a fighter jock, the type you want leading a squadron at Midway, not necessarily the type you want sitting in the Oval Office. But on national security issues, where I have had problems with McCain's Bush Lite approach, he has been to war, he was tortured as a POW, and his kid is a Marine grunt, so you have to cut the man some slack.

I just have huge problems with Hillary and will have problems voting for her.

There is a lot to like about McCain, but some of his positions aren't conservative.

There's on such thing as a conservative... or a liberal for that matter.

/nevergoingtoletthatissuedie

The born Episcopalian, grew up Episcopalian, went to an Episcopalian high school, but.. but.. but I've been a Baptist all my life McCain?

Or the John "Keating 5" McCain?

McCain's pandering is hard to watch, but he's simply accepted it as a rite of passage if he wants to be President. No one will be President unless they swallow what must be a bitter pill. McCain took the high road in 2000 and was trounced because of it.

Unfortunately that's precisely what I dislike the most. I was a huuuuuge McCain supporter in 2000 (my first election). To see him holding his hand out to the very elements I despise the most in the Republican party this time around was incredibly disappointing.

That said, I think he recognized the shift occuring because after nuzzling up back in 2006 it seems like he's "pandered" less and less.

Still, in my eyes, the damage has been done :(

I look at McCain and i see the old republican guard. I see a tired old man stuck in the ways of the 50's, no different than George H Bush. Put that image up against OBama, and don't think McCain can win in a general election.

Unfortunately that's precisely what I dislike the most. I was a huuuuuge McCain supporter in 2000 (my first election). To see him holding his hand out to the very elements I despise the most in the Republican party this time around was incredibly disappointing.

That said, I think he recognized the shift occuring because after nuzzling up back in 2006 it seems like he's "pandered" less and less.

Still, in my eyes, the damage has been done :(
If that's the case then you're going to have a difficult time voting for anyone unless Nader runs again...

I look at McCain and i see the old republican guard. I see a tired old man stuck in the ways of the 50's, no different than George H Bush. Put that image up against OBama, and don't think McCain can win in a general election.
You need to look closer because the old republican guard doesn't want to see him elected and they're going to turn their attention to him as soon as Huckabee burns out...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom