Why I like Payton, and think this team is different: (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Quote from press conference

"We probably got too cute in the red zone and that cost us. That one is on me. I have got to do a better job."

Accountability on all levels. I love that about this coach and this team. Now, I was as hard as anyone on that gadget playcall for Reggie to throw the ball in the redzone. It was an uncalled for risk at the time, and gave momentum back full swing to the Ravens. But attitude is much harder to fix than playcalling and mistakes on the field. This team is still coached right, and still has the right mindset week in and week out. We never quit, and we WILL bounce back.

I know as a saints fan, we tend to let our minds drift to "Same ol Saints" Don't get out the lifeboats yet, these saints have no quit in them and neither should we. Payton will have them ready next week.

Link: <a href="http://neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?sectionbanner=img%5Fheader%5Fgameday%2Ejpg&articleid=3024""><b>NewOrleansSaints.com</b></a>

Last edited:
Most of the game is on him. Brees didn't have the time to throw and made a few errors. Coach Billick put the Ravens on O and D in spots to make plays. He scouted us better, and they out executed us. We squandered too many redzone opportunities and gave up two TD's on offense for the difference in the game. When your turnover margin for the game is -4 and 28 points are set up on those 4 turnovers (2 directly), you aren't usually going to win those games.

I did like one aspect of the team vis a vis Coach Payton's "never give up" mentality, which IMHO, we didn't. Just the same, Ray Lewis mentioned hearing all the "we can't be stopped stuff" all week while they kept their mouths shut and played football. They were the better team today and one I had been particularly concerned about since the Eagles game.

Now we've got a desperate Tampa Bay team in Tampa. We're the better team, but you hate to be facing a team in a must win scenario. They're liable to pull out all the proverbial stops.

TPS

It is so hard to fight that "Same ol Saints" mentality. I am struggling with it myself. I really dont think its true... but I feel like I have been burned so many times.

I agree though... this is a different kind of team. I just need to keep reminding myself.

GEAUX SAINTS!

Now we've got a desperate Tampa Bay team in Tampa. We're the better team, but you hate to be facing a team in a must win scenario. They're liable to pull out all the proverbial stops.

TPS

I almost think WE are in a must win..ATL has DET, and will most likely win, CAr is off, the Giants have HOU (again probably a win).

If we want to , and i think we do, keep pace in the NFC south, and the NFC in general..we NEED to win in Tampa

I really don't care how the Ravens played the game!!......THE RAVENS ARE, WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!......now if you want to crwn them...THEN CRWN THEIR AZZ!! BUT THE RAVENS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE, AND WE LET THEM OFF THE HOOK!....LMAO!

>>I almost think WE are in a must win..ATL has DET, and will most likely win, CAr is off, the Giants have HOU (again probably a win).

Obviously we'd rather be 6-2 than 5-3. And if you had to lose, it is most preferable to lose to an AFC opponent (not likely going to factor in any of the tie breaker scenarios except with members of your own division, a situation that usually doesn't come down to that tiebreaker).

And while I understand your argument, Tampa is 2-5 and (technically) 3 1/2 games behind us and 3 1/2 games behind Atlanta by virtue of losses to both teams. They can't afford to drop to 5 games behind us if we beat them (we'd be 6-2, they'd be 2-6 and would need to finish the season 1 game up on us with only 8 to go). To me, they are in a complete must win situation with no outs but to beat us. We've got to use that against them IMHO.

TPS

Most of the game is on him (Payton).
TPS

Besides the Reggie pass call, two INTs were returned for TDs. I don't see how that can be blamed on Payton. Was there something in the 4th quarter to blame on Payton (I missed that quarter when CBS swapped over to JAX-PHI)?

Quote from press conference

"We probably got too cute in the red zone and that cost us. That one is on me. I have got to do a better job."

QUOTE]

I feel so much better about next week after seeing this. Accountability is something I appreciate and respect. Haslett never took responsibility for his team play. It was his major flaw as a coach. Peyton has my respect. This team is in good hands.

TPS;9417 And while I understand your argument said:
point taken...tbh i expected we would win today and lose in tampa (because they played us fairly even in our house and it's tough to beat a team twice, bla,bla,bla). Now , having been embarassed in the dome, i would hope we go to Tampa fired up and focused, and take care of business. If we can't get fired up after today, then this could be 2002 all over again

Saintology, here is another quote from Payton. I love the accountability that he is showing. I believe that players will respond to a coach who will evaluate himself as well as the players.

Q: On moving on to the next game

A: "We are young enough now that we have to watch this film. We can't ignore this game we have to watch it and make corrections. We have to study what we did from a coaching standpoint and do a better job starting with me. We all have to look in the mirror and make corrections on things. We should have done better. Don't lose sight and you have to give credit to the team we just played as well."

>>Besides the Reggie pass call, two INTs were returned for TDs. I don't see how that can be blamed on Payton. Was there something in the 4th quarter to blame on Payton (I missed that quarter when CBS swapped over to JAX-PHI)?

Those can't directly, but we couldn't compensate for their pass rush. I think Drew hurried a couple of balls (at least one of the int TD's someone was already on him) in a way you haven't seen him do so much this year. But he didn't have time to throw. Overall, I thought the Ravens did a much better job seizing opportunities on offense and defense than we did. You could see how their receivers dropped into our zone spots and appeared to be almost wide open (they did beat us in man to man on several plays). And that's on the coaching staff. Players make the plays, but coaches call them. I thought that along with all of our units being outplayed, our coaches were too. You can disagree if you think otherwise, but that is my opinion.

In the 4th, we did turn the ball over on downs in Ravens territory. I thought we played mostly okay on offense in the 4th, but it was too little too late.

TPS

Saintology, here is another quote from Payton. I love the accountability that he is showing. I believe that players will respond to a coach who will evaluate himself as well as the players.

Q: On moving on to the next game

A: "We are young enough now that we have to watch this film. We can't ignore this game we have to watch it and make corrections. We have to study what we did from a coaching standpoint and do a better job starting with me. We all have to look in the mirror and make corrections on things. We should have done better. Don't lose sight and you have to give credit to the team we just played as well."

Towards the end of his tenure, I used to watch Haslett postgame conferences just to see how many time he would point the finger at his players for being undisciplined. He was hard to watch talk, and I'm sure that carried over to practice and the locker room. Payton gets it. He's not a bag of wind, he holds himself to the same standards that he expects from his players. Maybe even more. You just can't help but respect that.

I have to agree with lots of you. I like the accountability from the coach.

As for the same ole saints deal. The thing that keeps me out of that dark and scary place is the play of our team in the 4th quarter. Any of you who have been saints fans for long have seen Ditka and Haslett teams fold the tent (esspecially on Offense) after getting a couple scores hung on em.

The fact the final score was 35-22 makes me much more hopefull. All you have to look back to is the Indy Monday night game and Green Gay game over the last couple years to see how this team is different. They were battling. That and the way they have handled the loss shows character. That is what is different about this team.

I have been saying they would drop a few more down the stretch, but it didn't make it any easier to watch today. I feel confident they will get handed their rear ends this week in the film rooms and have lots of opportunity for "corrections" on the practice field. I don't expect to see another outing like this again this season.

I still believe! New Orleans Saints NFC South Champs 2006

-N

I probably would feel a little better if i got to see all those late scores... My affiliate changed games on me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom