Why Ian Book was a steal. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Ian Book pre draft was asked what QB he is most like , the answer was Russell Wilson. And the film does not lie.

Identical games , Both scramblers but not runners , Both huge on intangibles , Both consistent winners in college but not overhyped , and book like Wilson will be coming into an beautiful situation.

That matters more than anything else. Who won what trophy, what championship , what bowl game hardly indicates any tangible success on the next level.

Andrew Luck had all the talent in the world , the Colts failed him. The Bengals are failing Joe Burrow. The list goes on and on and on.

Who was his coach ? Could they protect him ? Could they run the ball ? Did he have solid targets? Was he expected to be a savior from day 1 ? Was he allowed enough time to acclimate to the game before becoming gun shy getting obliterated behind a laughable offensive line ?

Who Ian book becomes has much less to do with whether our scouts got it right or wrong and much more about the quality of his development.

I believe he will go on to be our QB 1 one day. Taysom cant run into defensive lineman forever and Jameis is boom or bust.

Ian although a rookie is the stable reliable bet for the future.

Maybe the success of Brady , Rodgers , Mahomes , Wilson isn't so much about them being so elite and everyone missing it ( because it wasn't obvious coming out of college ) , but had far more to do with coming to the right coach , right situation, right time.

Kid is a winner. 2nd all time Notre Dame wins behind the Joe Montana. Hes got it. That Drew Brees , Russell Wilson spunk.

Seen CBS call it the worst pick in the nfl draft ...

But only time will tell. Too many things to like not to buy his stock early. We are setup for a QB to take the regions and give us another run as presently assebled.

Which is why we picked defense in the draft. Sp knows how to manufacture offense. Keeping our defense in tact is what keeps our window open.

Ian book.

Book it

Personally, I wouldn’t comp Book to Wilson. Wilson had an “it” factor that was noticeable. He just didn’t have the measurables that coaches/GMs covet. I don’t see an “it” factor with Ian. Not saying that he won’t be good or great in time, but comparing him to Wilson is an injustice to that young man.

I hope Book surprises everyone.

With that said, his athleticism and arm strength aren’t remotely near Russ. Not close.
Don't know about arm strength, but I get that it's the biggest knock on Book. But He and Russel Wilson have almost identical athletic scores.

I try to take a positive view on players until proven wrong. So lets say Book does not become a QB-1 at any point in his career, and all we get out of him is a cheap back-up for 3 years but he's good enough to keep his job over lower tier vets. For those 3 years at least, he will be a cheaper option than his competitors. So we will have spent a late 4th round pick to save a few million in cap space. However if he does develop into a quality starting NFL QB, we will have found our guy at the toughest position in all of sports to find a guy... basically for next to free.

And worst case? He doesn't even make it to our week 1 roster? Well, we've had oodles of 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks not make the team over the past few years.
What's one more? And that's partly to blame on us having a loaded roster, which is a good problem to have.

Regardless, I'm not going to dis him or dismiss his potential. I'm a Saints fan and he's a Saint. I mean, if I can pull for Jameis "eat the W" Winston, I can root for this Russel Wilson-esque, Drew Brees sized/shaped longshot-darkhorse with the odd birthmark on his face. Yeah, I can definitely pull for him.

I am curious about his arm strength since people are talking about it. How strong or weak is it in comparison?

Book is inaccurate and indecisive. Neither Brees or Wilson had these deficiencie.
He’s a bit gunshy, but he is not inaccurate. He completed 65% of his passes last year and 64% for his ND career. He throws very few ints because he’s careful with the ball. He threw 15 TDs with 3 ints last year, and 34 TDs with 6 ints the year before, and 72 TDs with 20 ints in his career. I like the nearly 4 to 1 ratio of TDs to ints. I think he knows that his ball velocity makes some throws suspect, which leads to him being gunshy. He’s the type of QB that won’t necessarily win games for you, but he also won’t lose them. Give him a decent run game and receivers, and I think he can win for us.

He’s a bit gunshy, but he is not inaccurate. He completed 65% of his passes last year and 64% for his ND career. He throws very few ints because he’s careful with the ball. He threw 15 TDs with 3 ints last year, and 34 TDs with 6 ints the year before, and 72 TDs with 20 ints in his career. I like the nearly 4 to 1 ratio of TDs to ints. I think he knows that his ball velocity makes some throws suspect, which leads to him being gunshy. He’s the type of QB that won’t necessarily win games for you, but he also won’t lose them. Give him a decent run game and receivers, and I think he can win for us.
I remember when Peyton Manning came into the league, he has some of the most ugliest throws I have ever seen. It looks so wobbly and didn't had any zips.

Unless Payton can help him make corrections in his game... his weaknesses does not translate into an NFL QB. Not a starter, backup nor practice squad player. I see people reference his record. have you seen who Notre Dame plays? The toughest games (traditionally) they have are against Michigan and USC... these programs have been trash for a few years now. They barely beat Clemson and they were missing a bunch of players due to C-19.

I'm not saying he won't make it... I'm just sayin he has a mountain to climb with his deficiencies. He seems to have the will... let's see what Payton can do with him.

Strengths
  • Three-year starter and two-time team captain.
  • Leadership is important to him and he's highly respected by teammates.
  • Feet are quick in his setup on play-action.
  • Climbs pocket when he feels the edge caving in.
  • Footwork and ball-handling for RPOs.
  • Expedites his operation process when he reads hot.
  • Hangs in tough to deliver throws in face of impending hits.
  • Throws the football with good touch and catchability.
  • Escapability to make plays outside the pocket.
  • Slippery runner once he's inside the red zone.
Weaknesses
  • Needs to get through his progressions faster.
  • Has issues with indecisiveness at times.
  • Carries ball low in the pocket and throws with a windup.
  • Lacks arm strength to make all the pro throws.
  • Will struggle to zip it between linebacker and safety.
  • Completion totals were abysmal outside the numbers.
  • Not a natural anticipatory thrower.
  • Ball placement is inconsistent.
  • Has issues air-mailing throws way over targets.
  • On the shorter side by NFL standards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom