Why Ian Book was a steal. (1 Viewer)

That’s exactly it. There are even some other guys sitting on their second teams bench holding clipboards because there first team fired their coach a year after being drafted and the next coach wanted “his guy”. If Book has the traits that Payton looks for, then we should give him a shot. Or if there is another QB available cheap that Payton has a vision for, then go get him. Trying to force his system on an unnatural fit doesn’t make sense.

Exactly. Of the current QBs on the roster, Book fits Payton's system perfectly. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if he is the future.

Delhomme, wentz/Foles, eli manning (twice), Brad Johnson, Jeff hostetler (sp?), Flacco, trent Dilfer, Doug William's, mark rypien, Phil Simms,
Bradshaw

Just on 1st blush.
Every one of those guys were better pocket passers than Ian Book will ever be. Book was a really good college QB who wasn’t playing from the pocket making reads like he will be called upon to do in the NFL. Not even as good as Baker Mayfield. Like I said, it’s my opinion but the next QB that Payton drafts that turns out to be good will be his first just like mine. He is a genius play designer and caller but has not been good at identifying QB talent in the draft at least where the Saints are concerned. Book will never QB a Saints winning team as a starter. A wasted pick IMHO.
Now I hope Sean is right about Book and I’m wrong.

Every one of those guys were better pocket passers than Ian Book will ever be. Book was a really good college QB who wasn’t playing from the pocket making reads like he will be called upon to do in the NFL. Not even as good as Baker Mayfield. Like I said, it’s my opinion but the next QB that Payton drafts that turns out to be good will be his first just like mine. He is a genius play designer and caller but has not been good at identifying QB talent in the draft at least where the Saints are concerned. Book will never QB a Saints winning team as a starter. A wasted pick IMHO.
There is no way you watched Ian Book at Notre Dame and came up with that analysis of his ability or how the Notre Dame offense was ran.

There is no way you watched Ian Book at Notre Dame and came up with that analysis of his ability or how the Notre Dame offense was ran.
Go back and watch the draft highlight tape of Book. It runs about 5 minutes and it’s nothing but runs, throws out of the pocket and jump balls to skowrenski. Not one is a pocket pass where he throws a deep curl or in pattern or a long out. And this was his tape showing off his draft potential. He’s a better athlete but not as good a passer or throwing skills as Baker Mayfield. Now if you are saying because some really avg QBs got to a Super Bowl and even won a couple with really great teams and defenses, I’ll agree with you, but is that really the profile you want as your starting QB. If the Saints drafted him to be a long time backup at very little cost to save the $5 mil a decent vet backup costs, I’ll at least understand the choice. I still think that’s a bad idea as a good backup is probably going to have to play some and be able to step in and win a game or two.

Agreed, aside from Sean wanting Pat, from all I’ve read. That would have been his first great drafted QB. Still P'Oed we got leapfrogged for him.

Go back and watch the draft highlight tape of Book. It runs about 5 minutes and it’s nothing but runs, throws out of the pocket and jump balls to skowrenski. Not one is a pocket pass where he throws a deep curl or in pattern or a long out. And this was his tape showing off his draft potential. He’s a better athlete but not as good a passer or throwing skills as Baker Mayfield. Now if you are saying because some really avg QBs got to a Super Bowl and even won a couple with really great teams and defenses, I’ll agree with you, but is that really the profile you want as your starting QB. If the Saints drafted him to be a long time backup at very little cost to save the $5 mil a decent vet backup costs, I’ll at least understand the choice. I still think that’s a bad idea as a good backup is probably going to have to play some and be able to step in and win a game or two.
You summed up his college career in 5 minutes of a highlight tape?

Here I'll help you out.

Pay attention to formations and down and distance, the offense he ran is simulator to what the Saints bread and butter is. Surround this guy with talent and let him put the ball in their hands much like Brees.

There is no hype, just debating on the effectiveness of a player. Pretty standard procedure on SR.com.
How do you debate effectiveness if he hasn't played a live snap or in this guy's case, only a handful in preseason?

Garret Grayson had similar production in preseason, he's selling car insurance now.

What I see in Ian Book is short and under-armed QB...Brees wasn't knocked for having a non-NFL ready arm, Book is Brees without Brees' early 20s arm.

How do you debate effectiveness if he hasn't played a live snap or in this guy's case, only a handful in preseason?

Garret Grayson had similar production in preseason, he's selling car insurance now.

What I see in Ian Book is short and under-armed QB...Brees wasn't knocked for having a non-NFL ready arm, Book is Brees without Brees' early 20s arm.
Like this 🤷🏾‍♂️

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom