Why Ian Book was a steal. (1 Viewer)

As I see it, (if my opinion were to actually matter...) There's zero chance that Taysom Hill is the number 2, if he's not the starter. His value is his versatility. Unless he's drastically changed his perspective and instincts in the last couple months, I just don't see him at QB. He's everything that Tim Tebow could have been. But standing behind center every time? All season long? If you thought Winston had a lot of turnovers a couple years ago, this would be the equivalent of Taysom saying "hold my beer".

Winston, on the other hand, had a year in a different system than what the buccs system WAS. Under Drew Brees. With CSP and HIS staff coaching and tweaking. I honestly think Winston shows himself to be a very different player than the one we thought we knew.

Book? His place will be on the roster, but he may not be active until Jameis gets hurt or plays poorly enough to get pulled.

People don't remember that Tom Brady took around 6 years to become that guy that can shred you regardless of what offensive the Pats put on the field, when he was making mid level receivers looking like they were elite. Younger Brady was more of making plays when they needed him to, he was NOT the surgeon he became later down the road although he did have flashes of it in clutch situations. Brady was a huge benefactor of really good TEAMS when he was earlier in his career.

2001 when Brady takes over, New England has the 6th rated defense in the NFL
2002. Bucs win the chip, New England has the 17th rated defense
2003. Pats win the Superbowl, No.1 rated defense in the NFL.
2004. Pats win the Superbowl, No.3 rated defense in the NFL.
2005. Steelers win the Superbowl, Pats fall back to 17th rated defense in the NFL.
2006. Colts win the Superbowl, Pats had the 2nd ranked defense in the NFL.
2007. Brady has historic season, is now a surgeon on the field, huge upset loss against the Giants(Miracle throw and catch to Tyree). Pats had the 4th ranked Defense that year.

Those great defenses Brady had mask a ton of his early career success.

Last edited:

I started reaearching him a bit more
Hes better then i thought. He shows some skill in executing some throws in west coast concepts. JT pounted out one thing that shows up alot of his throws can be flat.

I am curious about his arm strength since people are talking about it. How strong or weak is it in comparison?

Russell Wilson had a top ball Velocity of 55 mph which is the same as Patrick Mahomes and Jameis Winston.

Wilson is technically the best deep ball thrower in the league over the past 5 seasons.

"Lockett (52.6 yards of air distance on his 43-yard TD vs. Dallas) and Moore (55.3 yards of air distance on his 38-yard TD against the New England Patriots) had the others. Over the past five seasons, Wilson's 25 completions with an air distance of 50-plus yards are eight more than any other quarterback.Oct 3, 2020"

You rarely see a pass completed with 60 plus yards of air distance in the NFL but there are several incompletions that go for 60-70 plus from guys like Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, or Aaron Rodgers.

There weren't any ball Velocity numbers this year so you will have to judge book by his longest completions by air yards.

The longest air yard completed that I could find was this one of 54 air yards from the 5 yard line to the opposing 41.

Statistically PFF had Book as one of the best deep passers in the nation in 2019 but they usually mean 20+ yards, not 40.

Russell Wilson had a top ball Velocity of 55 mph which is the same as Patrick Mahomes and Jameis Winston.

Wilson is technically the best deep ball thrower in the league over the past 5 seasons.

"Lockett (52.6 yards of air distance on his 43-yard TD vs. Dallas) and Moore (55.3 yards of air distance on his 38-yard TD against the New England Patriots) had the others. Over the past five seasons, Wilson's 25 completions with an air distance of 50-plus yards are eight more than any other quarterback.Oct 3, 2020"

You rarely see a pass completed with 60 plus yards of air distance in the NFL but there are several incompletions that go for 60-70 plus from guys like Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, or Aaron Rodgers.

There weren't any ball Velocity numbers this year so you will have to judge book by his longest completions by air yards.

The longest air yard completed that I could find was this one of 54 air yards from the 5 yard line to the opposing 41.

Statistically PFF had Book as one of the best deep passers in the nation in 2019 but they usually mean 20+ yards, not 40.

He threw the ball from the 5yrd line to the 55yrd line on a dime but people say he lacks arm strength?

Of all the picks that were made this year I don't know how people think THIS guy does not translate well to this Team, he literally SCREAMS Drew Brees 2.0 with more athletic ability so he has a bit of Baker Mayfield in him when it comes to extending plays.

I'd go out on a limb and say the Ian Book era will start by midseason.

He threw the ball from the 5yrd line to the 55yrd line on a dime but people say he lacks arm strength?

Of all the picks that were made this year I don't know how people think THIS guy does not translate well to this Team, he literally SCREAMS Drew Brees 2.0 with more athletic ability so he has a bit of Baker Mayfield in him when it comes to extending plays.

His mechanics looked great on that particular throw. It seems like he loses a lot of velocity when he attempts to drive the ball while on his toes.

We probably need to pump the brakes on comparing him to Brees or Wilson. Hopefully, our QB coach and Payton can get him to see his passing lanes better. One of the reasons he abandoned the pocket so much is that he could not see. Brees was very good at getting up on his toes and had a very high release point on his throws. Hopefully, that is something they work on with Book (moreso, the elevation of his view). Also, our blocking schemes have helped Brees, so that may aid Book as well. I am curious to see how he progresses with NFL coaching.

Most starting QBs can at least throw the ball 60 yards stepping into a throw.

54 is on the lower end but, yeah.🤣

Deshaun Watson is the Weakest armed starting qb in the league with only a 45 mph ball Velocity but is one of the most efficient deep ball passers and has the 2nd highest active career yards per pass attempt.

Watson also runs a 4.6 like Book.

Maybe they think that he will be more similar to Deshaun Watson.

That may be the case, but if that is the case, then we are almost certainly not competing for the playoffs because that means Winston and Hill were both bad enough to be supplanted by a rookie.

Not saying it can't happen - just that I honestly hope it doesn't - at least not next season.

I think Book ends up (if he makes the roster) as the 3 and that Hill possibly has his "joker" role slightly reduced to protect him as the 2.

I think Payton want Harris to fill the "joker" role, more like a Tyreek Hill. So Hill may see his gadget plays reduced anyway.

I believe if Book shows any potential in camp and preseason - and shows that the game isn't too fast for him, then Sean will try to work him into the future plans.

I've watched several of the highlight videos and what I see is a guy with a lot of poise and I'm drawn to his footwork. It looks really good in the pocket - and as Bill Walsh proved with Joe Montana and Steve Young, guys with good footwork can do amazing things in the right system.

We probably need to pump the brakes on comparing him to Brees or Wilson. Hopefully, our QB coach and Payton can get him to see his passing lanes better. One of the reasons he abandoned the pocket so much is that he could not see. Brees was very good at getting up on his toes and had a very high release point on his throws. Hopefully, that is something they work on with Book (moreso, the elevation of his view). Also, our blocking schemes have helped Brees, so that may aid Book as well. I am curious to see how he progresses with NFL coaching.
The comparison is not to say he is on par with these VETERANS players but that these type of players have paved the way for these 5'11 - 6'0 QB's
That may be the case, but if that is the case, then we are almost certainly not competing for the playoffs because that means Winston and Hill were both bad enough to be supplanted by a rookie.

Not saying it can't happen - just that I honestly hope it doesn't - at least not next season.

I think Book ends up (if he makes the roster) as the 3 and that Hill possibly has his "joker" role slightly reduced to protect him as the 2.

I think Payton want Harris to fill the "joker" role, more like a Tyreek Hill. So Hill may see his gadget plays reduced anyway.

I believe if Book shows any potential in camp and preseason - and shows that the game isn't too fast for him, then Sean will try to work him into the future plans.

I've watched several of the highlight videos and what I see is a guy with a lot of poise and I'm drawn to his footwork. It looks really good in the pocket - and as Bill Walsh proved with Joe Montana and Steve Young, guys with good footwork can do amazing things in the right system.

If we are competing for a playoff run then it may mean Winston has a good handle of the offense and things are clicking, but my projection is that Ian Book will continue to improve throughout the season and Payton may feel comfortable enough (because he has a vision for the player) to insert him into the lineup much like Wilson when he supplanted Flynn in Seattle.

I don't think Payton will bench Winston in favor of Book if Winston is playing well but if this offense starts to stall and Book is installed and the offense gets some life we've all seen these NFL Stories before, no different than Jimmy V vs Lance in SF or Cam vs M. Jones in NE these guys are the starters but the future is behind them.

Last edited:
I hope you are right but his agent and his dad were both very surprised to hear he was selected in the fourth round. They thought he would go in the sixth or seventh so I would not call this a steal. At all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom