Why Ian Book was a steal. (1 Viewer)

I think the comparisons to Russell Wilson are a bit overextended, but I see why you have the comparison.

Here is my take on Book pre-draft from another post I commented on:

A pick I don't think many would see would be Ian Book, later in the draft. I don't think we will make a play for any of the top QB's and after the top 5 are off the board, if he is available, I think they would snag him over other QB's left. Of course we won't give up "vision" players that the FO thinks can contribute sooner than later to get him...but a sneaky later draft pick up.

So, my "dark horse" is Ian Book.

Pros: Book has pretty good pocket awareness and can escape a LOT and still keeps his eyes downfield and made some pretty ridiculous and accurate throws running, in awkward positions. Having active feet, ability to escape pressure, anticipation of throws and keeping eyes downfield are the intangible attributes at QB that you sort of have naturally or instilled early in playing career by HS or don't. You can only coach that into a player to a certain level once they have entered the NFL, but if not built into their football DNA, tough to instill. His pre-snap reads mostly are pretty quick and seems to diagnose fairly well, too.

Cons: His release is a big windup and a bit slow but has good touch on the "deep" ball despite limited arm strength. He is a bit "too footsy" sometimes and doesn't set up quick or solid in his foundation when he is "footsy". That can be coached. His release can be coached. His O line had some HORRIBLE moments and not great schemes offensively. He needs to drive the ball a bit more sometimes...again, refining the technique and setting up faster to have his power transferring from bottom up (hip rotation, etc). His negatives are coachable when it comes to release/windup and set up. He just has a bit of something that is intriguing with his running ability, active feet. As coach and trainer, I always look for active feet and set up. For the most part, he wants to do that...but sometimes he just doesn't.

The pros seem to outweigh the cons, as in the pros show what he is capable of and the cons are when those pros just weren't happening...LOL. I could actually see him being able to produce in a Sean Payton offense. His best best would be to go to the Saints with a great chance of developing that he wouldn't have on other teams. His success in the NFL is a 55% right now but I think he is a player CSP has an eye on with his intangibles fitting the mold he likes in a QB despite some height and arm strength which are "sexy" attributes but don't mean the player will be a good QB in the NFL or your system as a fit. Some players just seem to have a little something and some issues that are able to easily coach up. Some you just "HOPE" as a project. I think he would be a little more than a project. Franchise QB year 1 or 2...NO...possible progress and build within a system to have a shot at being "the guy" in the NFL, I will go on a limb and say yes, in the right situation.

Cons: His release is a big windup and a bit slow but has good touch on the "deep" ball despite limited arm strength. He is a bit "too footsy" sometimes and doesn't set up quick or solid in his foundation when he is "footsy". That can be coached. His release can be coached. His O line had some HORRIBLE moments and not great schemes offensively. He needs to drive the ball a bit more sometimes...again, refining the technique and setting up faster to have his power transferring from bottom up (hip rotation, etc). His negatives are coachable when it comes to release/windup and set up. He just has a bit of something that is intriguing with his running ability, active feet. As coach and trainer, I always look for active feet and set up. For the most part, he wants to do that...but sometimes he just doesn't.
Speaking of release, have you ever seen Aaron Roger and the way he held the ball in college. It was downright ugly.

Based on athletic testing, these were his comps.

Code:
src="https://www.mockdraftable.com/embed/ian-book?position=QB&page=GRAPH

HTML:
src="https://www.mockdraftable.com/embed/ian-book?position=QB&page=COMPARISONS
That's a cool site.

Brees' chart compared to Book looks really bad. Too bad you can't overlay the 2 charts.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/drew-brees

Jameis is under 50% percentile on everything but height and weight.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jameis-winston

Couldn't find Taysom.

Speaking of release, have you ever seen Aaron Roger and the way he held the ball in college. It was downright ugly.
What I liked is that he held the ball high, though. He could get it out quicker. He was a bit "robotic", though. I always loved his "feet" and that is a trait I always scout with QBs. I think his release has gotten looser and maybe even a bit more unconventional through his NFL career...LOL...especially those side arms. If a QB's mechanics are a detriment to execution, accuracy, ball placement (deep and short) then there is a problem. No matter what, it seems to work out well for AR12!

Most starting QBs can at least throw the ball 60 yards stepping into a throw.

54 is on the lower end but, yeah.🤣

Deshaun Watson is the Weakest armed starting qb in the league with only a 45 mph ball Velocity but is one of the most efficient deep ball passers and has the 2nd highest active career yards per pass attempt.

Watson also runs a 4.6 like Book.

Maybe they think that he will be more similar to Deshaun Watson.
The same Deshaun Watson who moved the Texans like 75+ yards with two perfect “deep” pass plays to almost break every Saints fan’s hearts in week one of 2019, if not for heroics by Brees, Lutz, and a very odd coverage call by the Houston DC with virtually no time left on the clock?

IMHO, pure arm strength is one of the most overrated traits of a great QB as well as being overcome-able utilizing quite a few other options. Reasonable arm strength is necessary, but elite arm strength is just lagniappe.

Case in point, would any Saints fans have taken Cam Newton, he of the back footed 60+ yard throws, over Brees at any point in the last 4 years, INCLUDING Cam’s “MVP” year?

The same Deshaun Watson who moved the Texans like 75+ yards with two perfect “deep” pass plays to almost break every Saints fan’s hearts in week one of 2019, if not for heroics by Brees, Lutz, and a very odd coverage call by the Houston DC with virtually no time left on the clock?

IMHO, pure arm strength is one of the most overrated traits of a great QB as well as being overcome-able utilizing quite a few other options. Reasonable arm strength is necessary, but elite arm strength is just lagniappe.

Case in point, would any Saints fans have taken Cam Newton, he of the back footed 60+ yard throws, over Brees at any point in the last 4 years, INCLUDING Cam’s “MVP” year?
86% of all passes by NFL qbs are within 20 yards so "deep" passing is overrated to a large degree.

That said, you still need to establish the threat of a deep ball to keep defenses honest from time to time so that they won't stack the box.

86% of all passes by NFL qbs are within 20 yards so "deep" passing is overrated to a large degree.

That said, you still need to establish the threat of a deep ball to keep defenses honest from time to time so that they won't stack the box.
I agree completely.

If he goes on IR after pre season, then he is the future. CSP may not even play him if he sees something in him during training camp.

or is relegated to the practice squad or cut if he not good

all these guys are talented, its just about what team takes them and how good are that teams teachers and leaders..

Just listened to Sean Payton's interview on the Rich Eisen Podcast. Apparently, after the Ian Book pick several GMs congratulated him on the selection. Ian Book may have been rated higher than we originally thought.
He was being talked about upon being drafted which is why I don't understand (well I do because they didn't like the pick) people on SR.com are clamoring about how he was a 7th rounder possible UDFA and we took him to soon as if people know how teams create their draft boards.

Ian Book was a 4th round pick, that's a good place to find a player at any position that could wind up being a contributed on your squad whether that's a LB, WR ,CB, RB, OL, DL, S.

Last edited:
Just listened to Sean Payton's interview on the Rich Eisen Podcast. Apparently, after the Ian Book pick several GMs congratulated him on the selection. Ian Book may have been rated higher than we originally thought.
If this man turn out to be the better quarterback in this draft, I will laugh at all the GM and draft analysis out there.

The Saints have to see him as their next Taysom Hill hybrid. If he's not the third string QB on opening day, he was claimed by another team while NO tried to slide him onto the Practice Squad. It's always exciting when the Saints draft a QB, even tho time has been less than kind recently (a part of me still thinks Adrian McPherson could've been a useful NFL player lol). I am certainly rooting for Book.

The Saints have to see him as their next Taysom Hill hybrid. If he's not the third string QB on opening day, he was claimed by another team while NO tried to slide him onto the Practice Squad. It's always exciting when the Saints draft a QB, even tho time has been less than kind recently (a part of me still thinks Adrian McPherson could've been a useful NFL player lol). I am certainly rooting for Book.
I don't think that is the vision. According to Payton it's not. He won't rule anything out but they didn't see that.

Taysom Hill is an elite athlete whether you compare him to QBs, WRs, RBs or TEs.

Ian Book is a good athlete if you only compare him to QBs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom