Why Ian Book was a steal. (1 Viewer)

It clearly states: long (20+) and intermediate (10-19) passes.
Long are on the vertical axis, intermediate on the horizontal axis.
I understand. I still think this guy can be a player in this offense and fits well to what Payton likes to do.

Projecting high on someone's board or chart does not take away from game film, intagibles and competivenes. He mirrors Drew Brees in every way outside of athletism which he blows Brees out the park with....he will be a mix between Brees and Mayfield.

Last edited:
Ian Book pre draft was asked what QB he is most like , the answer was Russell Wilson. And the film does not lie.

Identical games , Both scramblers but not runners , Both huge on intangibles , Both consistent winners in college but not overhyped , and book like Wilson will be coming into an beautiful situation.

That matters more than anything else. Who won what trophy, what championship , what bowl game hardly indicates any tangible success on the next level.

Andrew Luck had all the talent in the world , the Colts failed him. The Bengals are failing Joe Burrow. The list goes on and on and on.

Who was his coach ? Could they protect him ? Could they run the ball ? Did he have solid targets? Was he expected to be a savior from day 1 ? Was he allowed enough time to acclimate to the game before becoming gun shy getting obliterated behind a laughable offensive line ?

Who Ian book becomes has much less to do with whether our scouts got it right or wrong and much more about the quality of his development.

I believe he will go on to be our QB 1 one day. Taysom cant run into defensive lineman forever and Jameis is boom or bust.

Ian although a rookie is the stable reliable bet for the future.

Maybe the success of Brady , Rodgers , Mahomes , Wilson isn't so much about them being so elite and everyone missing it ( because it wasn't obvious coming out of college ) , but had far more to do with coming to the right coach , right situation, right time.

Kid is a winner. 2nd all time Notre Dame wins behind the Joe Montana. Hes got it. That Drew Brees , Russell Wilson spunk.

Seen CBS call it the worst pick in the nfl draft ...

But only time will tell. Too many things to like not to buy his stock early. We are setup for a QB to take the regions and give us another run as presently assebled.

Which is why we picked defense in the draft. Sp knows how to manufacture offense. Keeping our defense in tact is what keeps our window open.

Ian book.

Book it
Every QB from now until we are all alive will be in some way compared to Drew. Most and probably none will live up to that anointing.

Ian Book seems to possess some of those traits. Competitive, fiery, self-confident, etc. To me Ian Book reminds me of Jeff Garcia former QB of the SF 49ers. Hopefully Book will prove us wrong.

Those are for deep balls not intermediate passes. ND was not an explosive offense when it came to the deep ball they took strategic shots down field.

Very similar to the saints. We’ve always chipped away with dink and dunk then took a few shots downfield each game. We just had better deep ball receivers until recently.

If we land a starting QB in 4th round, he will certainly be a steal. Guessing what round a prospect would have gone, especially this year, is a crapshoot. Obviously the saints had him rated at this spot. Who is to say other teams didnt? In fact, i recall reading articles that leaked after the draft that other teams were interested in Book in this range
It was what most NFL Components said after his selection (we were hearing grumblings that his name would be coming up) Payton even said he got calls about him after the selection. He was valued in the 4th and was drafted there.

There are people asking for QB's who went undrafted and saying Book went to high and I'm totally confused what kind of draft board they would have by picking a guy who went undrafted over a guy who was drafted that they had as a UDFA.

Book has just as much chance as anybody to contribute to this team, whether this year or in the future. We got people projecting contributions from UDFAS but Book was a bad pick?

Last edited:
I talked to a member of the WFT staff, that will remain nameless (which gives him as much credit a Lawn-man Dave), but he is very involved with player evaluation and he knows I'm a huge Saints fan. We talked about Saints Draft and he was glowing about 3 of our top 4 Picks. Not any type of insider information but it was awesome to hear someone who is very involved with the business say nice things about some of our newest players and really made me feel good about what SP, ML, & JI are doing in 2021 but take it with a grain of salt.

Said Turner was an amazing pick late in round one and mentioned he was really liked by the WFT staff and we both talked about the down year from Cam and it was the perfect time to bring in a DE that is a massive talent and he really liked that pick saying we got a good one.

Werner was just a meh guy to him, doesn't hate the pick but doesn't like it either which makes him feel even more like Shanle to me than he already did :ROFLMAO:

Adebo, he REALLY liked; said they were eyeballing him when the Saints moved up to get him. I trust his evaluation on him the most. Says he is very smart and great size reminds him of a certain FA player that everyone wants to see possibly be signed. (Also that he will most likely not sign with the Saints because he really likes Adebo also and does not want to take away playing time from him, which really drives home what Sherman said when asked about the possibly of the Saints being a potential landing spot)

Lastly and the point of this post, is Ian Book. Said that he could not have asked to be in a better situation being able to come in with Sean P. Says he is very smart and knows the game, saying he thinks Book has the biggest potential to be something special. I was like, thats crazy because to me he will just be another guy on the roster. He put his drink down slowed it down with a big smile on his face and said I think he was a steal in the fourth and has the potential to be the best pick of the Saints draft saying, again Im really high on the CB and the DE; with the combination of fit in the system, current talent, ability to see the field, character, went on and on, lastly saying if your looking for the player most like Drew... he is the guy.

The rest of our picks he knew nothing about, which is not surprising because of what his role is.

Again none of this is massive information but he has lots of praise for what we are doing, and really made me want to find out more about Ian Book. Im excited to see what happens. Got to love the offseason

:gosaints:

I talked to a member of the WFT staff, that will remain nameless (which gives him as much credit a Lawn-man Dave), but he is very involved with player evaluation and he knows I'm a huge Saints fan. We talked about Saints Draft and he was glowing about 3 of our top 4 Picks. Not any type of insider information but it was awesome to hear someone who is very involved with the business say nice things about some of our newest players and really made me feel good about what SP, ML, & JI are doing in 2021 but take it with a grain of salt.

Said Turner was an amazing pick late in round one and mentioned he was really liked by the WFT staff and we both talked about the down year from Cam and it was the perfect time to bring in a DE that is a massive talent and he really liked that pick saying we got a good one.

Werner was just a meh guy to him, doesn't hate the pick but doesn't like it either which makes him feel even more like Shanle to me than he already did :ROFLMAO:

Adebo, he REALLY liked; said they were eyeballing him when the Saints moved up to get him. I trust his evaluation on him the most. Says he is very smart and great size reminds him of a certain FA player that everyone wants to see possibly be signed. (Also that he will most likely not sign with the Saints because he really likes Adebo also and does not want to take away playing time from him, which really drives home what Sherman said when asked about the possibly of the Saints being a potential landing spot)

Lastly and the point of this post, is Ian Book. Said that he could not have asked to be in a better situation being able to come in with Sean P. Says he is very smart and knows the game, saying he thinks Book has the biggest potential to be something special. I was like, thats crazy because to me he will just be another guy on the roster. He put his drink down slowed it down with a big smile on his face and said I think he was a steal in the fourth and has the potential to be the best pick of the Saints draft saying, again Im really high on the CB and the DE; with the combination of fit in the system, current talent, ability to see the field, character, went on and on, lastly saying if your looking for the player most like Drew... he is the guy.

The rest of our picks he knew nothing about, which is not surprising because of what his role is.

Again none of this is massive information but he has lots of praise for what we are doing, and really made me want to find out more about Ian Book. Im excited to see what happens. Got to love the offseason

Thanks for posting. This was awesome. I dont know much about Book, but he's a winner. While he doesn't have all the tangible you want (size, arm strength, speed), he has has the intangibles you like.

Last edited:

Post in Italian. Percentages on intermediate and long passes (each QB has multiple seasons plotted)

That's a nice chart thanks for posting.

One thing I'm curious about now is the year for his 3 points. I've had the idea that he steadily got better each year. I wonder if this would agree with that.

Every QB from now until we are all alive will be in some way compared to Drew. Most and probably none will live up to that anointing.

Ian Book seems to possess some of those traits. Competitive, fiery, self-confident, etc. To me Ian Book reminds me of Jeff Garcia former QB of the SF 49ers. Hopefully Book will prove us wrong.
You can do a lot worse than Jeff Garcia.

The Shanle gets too much hate around here. People need to put some respect on The Shanle's name.

I’m really looking forward to hearing about Book during TC, and see him play in the preseason.

He’s a dark horse/underdog, but I think he may have a decent amount of “it” in his game.

Book looking really good and becoming the “next” guy is really the best possible outcome right now for the Saints. A winner at QB on a 4th round rookie deal? The Saints keep the boys together for another stretch.

There's a quality no one can anticipate. I see it happen in sports ALL THE TIME. Players come in and show things they never did in college or before because they either were never asked to, or having zero other distractions like school to detract, the can finally FULLY concentrate on the sport. And they become better than anyone ever dreamed.

Some people like to say that there's no this player in the draft or that player. One of the common ones was JJ Watt. Well...JJ Watt wasn't JJ Watt in his own draft. He became JJ Watt through hardwork and letting his talent shine through.

I think Ian Book has some natural physical and mental gifts. He could fizzle and do nothing...but I didn't feel anything when watching snaps from Caufield, Grayson, or Daniel when they were in college. Nothing good anyway. But Book? I like me some Book.

Here's hoping my hunch is right again.

There's a quality no one can anticipate. I see it happen in sports ALL THE TIME. Players come in and show things they never did in college or before because they either were never asked to, or having zero other distractions like school to detract, the can finally FULLY concentrate on the sport. And they become better than anyone ever dreamed.

Some people like to say that there's no this player in the draft or that player. One of the common ones was JJ Watt. Well...JJ Watt wasn't JJ Watt in his own draft. He became JJ Watt through hardwork and letting his talent shine through.

I think Ian Book has some natural physical and mental gifts. He could fizzle and do nothing...but I didn't feel anything when watching snaps from Caufield, Grayson, or Daniel when they were in college. Nothing good anyway. But Book? I like me some Book.

Here's hoping my hunch is right again.
I see it too. A quiet confidence and sneaky tools and athleticism. Book is a winner, and he’s played on big stages.

*I think JJ Watt had a little extra help from PEDs, but he was great when he was great

Payton drafting a 6' QB tells me he really likes him for his leadership and other QB intangibles. I think Payton will take him under his wing and give him every chance to develop in practice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom