Why is Cadet still on the team? (1 Viewer)

But, when you can fill the third running back, fifth receiver, core special teams player, backup returner, and emergency quarterback with a single player, I think that player's value to the team should be acknowledged.

This is the issue I have with him...Yes he can DO all those things, but he doesn't do any of them well. The guy is just not a playmaker at all and we have already seen the best of him.

You're right, he is a bottom of the depth chart guy and the expectation should be low, but fans and most teams like to continuously have that bottom of the depth chart churned to look for guys with greater potential. Cadet is what he is at this point; I'd rather see a guy like Lasco get those touches or Marcus Murphy or Tommylee Lewis.

When an NFL skill player, especially at RB, has the ball in his hands, you should feel as though that guy has a chance to break a long gain or make someone miss in the open field, etc. Cadet does none of that. He is simply not a playmaker. The plays he does make are plays any competent NFL player should be able to make.

I honestly think that Payton simply trusts him to know the play and know what to do. Even if he doesn't do it well, he can still run the play . . . which apparently is a problem for some (e.g. Spiller).

But what the heck was Cadet doing fielding that kickoff at the 12 yard line running out of bounds to make the catch? The announcers didn't even mention what a bonehead play that was.

I don't typically get upset with players. I'm a fan and I think the coaches get to make those decisions. So I'm typically pretty supportive and positive about whoever is on the field. I lost it and was cursing that play. Or really any time Cadet decides to take the ball out. Why not take the touchback. Or in this case, the penalty to get the ball at the 40?! There's no way he should have caught that ball.

Different type of players. Murphy was supposed to be the Cadet replacement, and did so, until his fumbling and injury issues developed.

Lasco is a Hightower style player. And, seeing how Hightower is 31, which is pretty ancient in running back years, I think that he exists as the new Hightower once Tim is done.

I see Lasco and Cadet as having the same role. I didn't see Murphy and Cadet as having the same role. I'm probably wrong, but that's not unusual. :hihi:

I just don't get why we complain so much about some of the bottom of the depth chart players around here. Cadet is a solid and dependable player on this team. Is he great at any particular task? Probably not. Would he stick on an NFL roster as a single position on the depth chart? It doesn't seem likely, as both New England and San Francisco cut him loose after a few games.

But, when you can fill the third running back, fifth receiver, core special teams player, backup returner, and emergency quarterback with a single player, I think that player's value to the team should be acknowledged.

Yea he shouldn't be a core special teamer. I think that's the point people are trying to make. If they want him lining up as a wideout, perfect. Great. More power to him because he's not terrible in that role. But he's got to be the most lackluster returner I've ever witnessed. He consistently makes bad decisions when fielding kicks, So why is he still back there? That one where he went out of his way to catch the kick that was about to go out of bounds blew my freakin mind

With Payton's O, it's all about roles and who can play those roles. Some are better "actors for the part" than others, and Cadet is the better player b/c he hasn't had issues handling the ball like Murphy. Sadly, Bush- and Sproles-types don't grow on trees so this is what we'll have to make work. Lasco has a future in this league if he can run in a way that protects his head.

He's one of those players that stick around for some unknown reason. We can clearly upgrade, but it's confusing as to why we don't. We gave up on Murphy and TLL appears to be in the dog house. Both of those players can make Cadet expandable.

I will say this though, Cadet has made some crucial catches for us before.

The only one I can think of is the Jacksonville game last season that ended in a pointless W....

I honestly think that Payton simply trusts him to know the play and know what to do. Even if he doesn't do it well, he can still run the play . . . which apparently is a problem for some (e.g. Spiller).

between him and spiller... they should have just re-signed reggie. well, before he got his knee tore up in SF

Hard to know how much of it is Cadet and how much of it is our overall Special Teams ineptitude.

I don't think he will last the season.
Feel like I've thought this for a few years now yet he somehow manages to be on the roster come week 1 lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I just don't get why we complain so much about some of the bottom of the depth chart players around here. Cadet is a solid and dependable player on this team. Is he great at any particular task? Probably not. Would he stick on an NFL roster as a single position on the depth chart? It doesn't seem likely, as both New England and San Francisco cut him loose after a few games.

If we don't field 53 pro-bowlers, our personnel guys should be fired.

Why is he still on the team? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer has something to do with the 2010 Wildcard playoff game against Seattle.

Since that game it seems like Payton has always carried an extra "can do a little bit of everything and knows the full playbook" RB towards the bottom of the depth chart. If memory serves Reggie Bush was the only tailback we had available who had any significant playing time with the team, and he was a matchup chess-piece, not a true RB. If we had a Cadet-type RB - we win that game. I don't know that Payton has that sort of confidence in Lasco yet to be able to handle everything required should MI and TH go down.

Just my 2 cents.

Man that play where the Niners kicked off and it was going out of bounds and he caught it and ran out at like the 10 BLEW my mind.....the indecisiveness of bringing the ball out of the end zone or not and should have took a knee. He made some bone headed decisions. Probably why CSP was chewing out McMahon, like what the hell are you teaching these guys.

You are going to get different match-ups when Cadet is on the field. There are still times in different games when SP is going to want to dictate those match-ups.

I cringe every time Tommylee is back to catch a punt. The guy is just too nervous to trust in that type of situation right now. He almost never catches them cleanly. That being said, I agree Cadet needs to go.

Reggie Bush has fallen to 4th on the Bills depth chart, I wonder if the Bills cut him soon, if the saints would be interested in bringing him back like they did with Cadet last season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom