Why is Egg Roll House? (2 Viewers)

My favorite pizza place in the 80's was Peter's pizza on Magazine. Non other than Saint alum Rich Mauti (i worked with the same company as him for a time in college) turned me onto it. The first (and best) real NY style pizza I had ever had.

You went to Penn State with Rich Mauti? I met him once (well, besides the few times i met him while collecting autographs in the bowels of the Superdome when i was a little kid in the 80s) and he showed me his ring, and spent a few minutes talking about playing for JoePa (this was prior to all the scandals that engulfed the school a few years later).. When i was a kid i wanted to be a WR like him, and even wanted to wear #84.. but alas, i was a little too .. husky.. and they put me on the offensive line. :-(

I know one thing. Do NOT use their parking lot to go to the Shake Shack next door.

Classic case of it you want trouble you found it.

And a Pheidippides running shoe store way in the back corner.. spent a few hours in there while trading for Crescent City Classics.
Either this place is STILL open, or they closed within the last few years. Every time I'd go to that TJ Maxx in recent-ish years, I'd keep seeing Phidippides and thinking "Man ... that place is still there?"

EDIT: OK, I went and looked it up -- Phidippides closed just last year on August 31, 2019. It was owned by a husband and wife, and the husband died of cancer in 2016.

Either this place is STILL open, or they closed within the last few years. Every time I'd go to that TJ Maxx in recent-ish years, I'd keep seeing Phidippides and thinking "Man ... that place is still there?"

EDIT: OK, I went and looked it up -- Phidippides closed just last year on August 31, 2019. It was owned by a husband and wife, and the husband died of cancer in 2016.

I remembered seeing an article about it closing, but I thought it was 3 or 4 yrs ago.. nice to see they made it to 2019, they must have had a run of 40 yrs or so.. And they shut it down just in time to avoid 2020!

Fongs - I think it was more across from Nicholson and Loup than the western store. Grandparents used to live not to far down from there actually neighbors with the Congemi family. There was a tale of the fire department entering Fong's one time and finding dog's hanging up, in which Fong declared that was for personal consumption.

Back when i was little we would go there. My dad would always say "Let's go get Fonged"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom