Why is Greg Williams not under consideration in New Orleans? (1 Viewer)

Ray Rhodes was in the same position. He just took a job as a D-back coach. He was once a HC and then a D-coordinator. There are not a lot of HC jobs available right now.

There will be in the next 1-3 years. He'll make more money sitting out for a few years then becoming a D-coordinator for the Saints. If he does cooridnate again instead it'll be for some big defensive team willing to pay him alot. We aren't that.

Ray Rhodes was in the same position. He just took a job as a D-back coach. He was once a HC and then a D-coordinator. There are not a lot of HC jobs available right now.

There's a big difference between Rhodes and Williams at this point in there careers.

I love all these why arent we trying to bring in coach so and so, how come we didnt sign XXX player. Do you know for a fact we didnt send out feelers? Maybe he just didnt want to come here?

One thing I think Saints fans really need to understand is as much as we hate to believe it not it not every single coach and player want to play/coach for the Saints.

Now it isnt to say no one will come here, but all this why didnt we sign so and so or why didnt we talk to this person is silly. We dont know whats going on behind closed doors and god forbid maybe the persons agent told us flat out "no".

I love all these why arent we trying to bring in coach so and so, how come we didnt sign XXX player. Do you know for a fact we didnt send out feelers? Maybe he just didnt want to come here?

One thing I think Saints fans really need to understand is as much as we hate to believe it not it not every single coach and player want to play/coach for the Saints.

Now it isnt to say no one will come here, but all this why didnt we sign so and so or why didnt we talk to this person is silly. We dont know whats going on behind closed doors and god forbid maybe the persons agent told us flat out "no".

I agreed with you

I am _pretty sure_ I heard on Sirius today that Williams was going to possibly interview for the vacant D/C position in Jax.

that makes sense because they have so much talent that with GW at the helm they'll likely make the next D-Co there the same as they did for the most recently departed D-Co for the Jags.

We all know where he ended up.

On the other hand if someone could coach up our defense to a top 5 type of D (overall) then that would seem like a nice stepping stone up on the path to HC.

Many people on this board have said to draft all defense in this draft, so it seems to me that it is more of a lack of talent than anything that is the problem with this defense. I say give Gibbs some players then decide. Of course if we stink again next year i will wonder why we didn't hire someone else too.

lets give gibbs a chance with some talent to work with...

Many people on this board have said to draft all defense in this draft, so it seems to me that it is more of a lack of talent than anything that is the problem with this defense. I say give Gibbs some players then decide. Of course if we stink again next year i will wonder why we didn't hire someone else too.

I agree. let's see what the guy can do with some talent. I think we are all willing to admit that there isnt a lot of talent on D, if we have a good defensive draft and a big name free agent pick up and Gibbs' defense is still porous, we can kick him to the curb, until then I say give him another shot.

How many times do we need to point out that the reason these DC's aren't getting consideration is that Loomis and Payton believe they already have a DC and that the production of the players is the problem, not the DC? We lack playmakers on defense and have already replaced the DB coach. No DC can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Let's buy some silk for Gibbs before turning him out to pasture. Some of you act as if the FO is searching for a DC. They aren't; get over it.

How many times do we need to point out that the reason these DC's aren't getting consideration is that Loomis and Payton believe they already have a DC and that the production of the players is the problem, not the DC? We lack playmakers on defense and have already replaced the DB coach. No DC can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Let's buy some silk for Gibbs before turning him out to pasture. Some of you act as if the FO is searching for a DC. They aren't; get over it.

+ eleventy billion.

Agreed, I'm sure every DC would want to blitz every down and sack the qb if they had the talent to do so. I can't blame Gibbs, we need playmakers on D.

Our ends are decent and highly paid so they will have to do.

Our Dts aren't signed to long term contract and aren't highly paid, therefore we can make a move or two there. We need to get that inside push that'll draw double teams freeing up our good/ave DE's

LB: We have no franchise LBs. Fujita will start. Shanle was signed to a 3 yr deal but it's not too much where he HAS to start. Therefore leaving 2 positions that can be upgraded thru the draft or free agancy.

CB: We have MM (jury is still out on his injury tho). Unfortunately we paid starter money to JDavid so he will definitely be here next yr and will probably start especially if MM doesn't comeback in time for the season opener. However, one spot is definitely open and can be filled thru the draft or free agency.

Safety: KK filled in nicely matched with Harper. However, KK is no spring chicken. This position can be upgraded but it isnt as high of a priority as the other D piece of work.
Bullocks is 2nd string. Its good we dont have a ton of money tied up in the piece of work. therefore we have some flexability.

Priority 1:
DT If we have a chance to draft Ellis @10 then we do it. In FA ,if possible, take a look at Shaun Rogers (maybe his poor team (Lions) had an effect on his lack of motivation.
Make a serious run at A Haynesworth.

Priority 2:
MLB or WLB Keith Rivers or Dan Conner (if we miss out on Ellis) or maybe trade up in the second or get lucky and draft Ali Highsmith with our #2. In free agency SIGN Dansby! somehow someway.

Priority 3:
Select Michael Jenkins if all else fails. (IMO he's the better Jenkins) or in FA sign ONE of the following: ASamuel, Drayton Florence or Trufant.

If we have anything left over, make a serious run at Justin Smith to rotate in @ DE.
If Gibbs cant get it done with this revamped D then he needs to hit the HWY!
agree?

One thing you have to think of before you bash the op is that D.C. , especially in our staff, is a big factor in free agency and the draft. Gibbs does not have a good record of evaluating defensive talent for his scheme, whih im not sure what his scheme is. I do not think he does either.

Agreed, I'm sure every DC would want to blitz every down and sack the qb if they had the talent to do so. I can't blame Gibbs, we need playmakers on D.

Our ends are decent and highly paid so they will have to do.

Our Dts aren't signed to long term contract and aren't highly paid, therefore we can make a move or two there. We need to get that inside push that'll draw double teams freeing up our good/ave DE's

LB: We have no franchise LBs. Fujita will start. Shanle was signed to a 3 yr deal but it's not too much where he HAS to start. Therefore leaving 2 positions that can be upgraded thru the draft or free agancy.

CB: We have MM (jury is still out on his injury tho). Unfortunately we paid starter money to JDavid so he will definitely be here next yr and will probably start especially if MM doesn't comeback in time for the season opener. However, one spot is definitely open and can be filled thru the draft or free agency.

Safety: KK filled in nicely matched with Harper. However, KK is no spring chicken. This position can be upgraded but it isnt as high of a priority as the other D piece of work.
Bullocks is 2nd string. Its good we dont have a ton of money tied up in the piece of work. therefore we have some flexability.

Priority 1:
DT If we have a chance to draft Ellis @10 then we do it. In FA ,if possible, take a look at Shaun Rogers (maybe his poor team (Lions) had an effect on his lack of motivation.
Make a serious run at A Haynesworth.

Priority 2:
MLB or WLB Keith Rivers or Dan Conner (if we miss out on Ellis) or maybe trade up in the second or get lucky and draft Ali Highsmith with our #2. In free agency SIGN Dansby! somehow someway.

Priority 3:
Select Michael Jenkins if all else fails. (IMO he's the better Jenkins) or in FA sign ONE of the following: ASamuel, Drayton Florence or Trufant.

If we have anything left over, make a serious run at Justin Smith to rotate in @ DE.
If Gibbs cant get it done with this revamped D then he needs to hit the HWY!
agree?

I like it. I also say we take a hard look at al wilson since he is cleared to play. IMO on defense this is my ideal offseason.

DT-Ellis or Dorsey in draft(one will be available ,trust me)
MLB- Wilson at MLB, release Simmons, Mayo in second round
LOLB-Fujita is a perfect fit and i like Mccoy as backup
ROLB- We need a guy who can compliment Smith on the pass rush and the fastest FA ROLB is Boley. I also say we give Lavar Arrington a tryout.
CB- Trufant.This is a position i am skeptical about because most CBS do not cut it once they switch teams but i think he might be the closest thing to another mckenzie without breaking the bank.
FS- Trade our third and KK to get us Phillips at the end of round one to the colts or someone who needs some veterans on D.
SS- I like Harper and Reis but Donavus Darrion deserves a look and also like Steltz in the fourth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom