Why is it difficult to fire government employees? (1 Viewer)

Dre

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have heard this tons of times in my life. A lot of people I know in the medical profession joke about this with regards to nursing at the VA in Baltimore. Granted, there is such a shortage of nursing, the VA example clearly has an additional factor. But it did broach the subject for me in general of why there is so much security in government jobs. Is this even true?

Last edited:

wbbigtymer

Whodie I'm a Saints fan
Reaction score
My dad recently retired, but he worked for the federal government for 39 years, and has has asserted many many many times that it is insanely hard to fire government employees.

xpuma20x

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The fear of lawsuits is extremely high amongst medical and government positions.Mainly because they have a lot of money and everyone knows this

Bishop

shuffle-by Poster
Reaction score
Competing with private sector wages for top notch employees could play a role. Some entities may be reluctance to let people go that they've had a hard time attracting.

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Regulations and red tape. To even begin the process requires a mountain of paperwork. Each form has lengthy requirements and deadlines and overlapping forms.

That is, if you file a "Fire This Guy Now" form, you also have to fill out a "Performance Review" form and an "Investigation of Previous Performance Reviews" form and so on and so on.

At each step, various review committees look at everything and if one person on a committee says "NO," the whole process comes to a halt. From that point on, you become a target of the interest group that didn't want the person fired. You made waves.

Each committee is stacked with people who are there for no other reason than to to look out for people who belong to their particular interest group. If this sounds screwy, well, it's all perfectly legal and is in fact required by law.

Only rarely does someone screw up badly enough that all the review committees will agree that he or she needs to go.

Hasboy

The Homey
Reaction score
Not if you work for the Patent & Trademark Office. It's very easy to fire employees here, and they do it almost everyday.

Hoyasaint

Banned
Reaction score
Stink .....oh i thought this was a word association thread.

Agreed.

But back to the topic at hand, government workers are hard to fire because that requires another government worker to do work. And that my friend is not going to happen.

Saint Mike

Are you a Who Dat?
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Because, unlike the rest of us, government employees have a property interest in their jobs and are therefore entitled to due process before they can be terminated.

antipop

drool mop
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
government workers are hard to fire because that requires another government worker to do work. And that my friend is not going to happen.

i worked at the LA supreme court for a couple of years while i was in school, and i can verify that hoya is 100% correct

covingtondog

No freaking way...
Reaction score
At the state level it's difficult to fire civil service employees but unclassified employees can be fired at will just like anybody else. Not sure about federal employees.

keepoursaints

I hate American Airlines
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i worked at the LA supreme court for a couple of years while i was in school, and i can verify that hoya is 100% correct

As we all post on SR during a workday? :idunno:

:hihi:

I worked for the city of BR for 2 years and now work for LSU.. hopefully I never have to find out too much about the process :9:

keepoursaints

I hate American Airlines
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't kid yourself, most of these people don't work.

that's why I said workday and not "at work." :hihi:

I think I should have added quotes around workday

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom