Why is it so hard to run the ball effectively (1 Viewer)

I think there are several good theories but I haven't seen my theory out there yet...

I think our tackles are below average and out tightend isn't very physical so it forces us to run up the middle, which is a strength, but somewhat predictable.

I believe it's a combination of things but I believe our sub par perimeter guys (blocking wise) are a big reason for lackluster rushing issues...

We dont stay committed to the run long enough for a RB to get in his groove. We dont give one RB the majority of the carries. PT can get a nice 4 or 5 yard run and we bring in MI or DS instead of letting PT pound it again. Plus, we have the best QB in the NFL and why run when more likely than not DB is going to bail out the O.

Part of it has to do with coaching. We're a passing offense whether the intent is for 2 yards or 10 or 30. If the past is any indication, our offensive line practices pass blocking and pass blocking assignments far more then run running. Things like that translate to gametime and is a good example as to why miami, who practices more run blocking, had more success with reggie bush than we did in the ground game.

For those of you who don't recall, stinchcomb once complained about our run blocking deficiencies being due to all the pass blocking they practice week in and week out and little to no practicing the run game.

And no, run blocking isnt so simple as to just push the guy in front of you. Its actually more difficult due to each lineman having multiple blocking assignments and correct timing to disengage blocking one assignment and moving onto the next, as well as being on the same page with other blockers changing blocking assignments as the play develops.

If I were the coach, Ingram would have a damn hard time making the team at all.

Maybe if you were a coach you'd get to see all the practices and all the players up close so you could see why Ingram plays....or maybe you'd get fired 3 days into it because you aren't qualified

Maybe if you were a coach you'd get to see all the practices and all the players up close so you could see why Ingram plays....or maybe you'd get fired 3 days into it because you aren't qualified

Lol. I find myself agree'ing with Canton. Either I'm on crack today, or Canton had a moment of clarity. Or maybe I'm the one having clarity? Hmmm, much confusion.

A Statistical Analysis of "Ingram vs. Ivory"

This has been an ongoing debate for some time and various members here like to argue their opinion on who the better running back is. I've always been a proponent of Chris Ivory, and sometimes some members take that as a slight to Ingram. However, this is not the case. I just think Ivory is the better running back and feel that he has all the tools. Anyway, it appears that stats are much closer than we thought and there is really not much to be debated here. Mark Ingram had an average yard per carry of 3.9 with a standard deviation of 5.1. Ivory, on the other hand, had a yard per carry of 5.6 with a standard deviation of 10.7. I know that every website says Ivory had 40 carries for 217 yards but I've gone through every game log and my totals add up to 30 carries for 169 yards. Essentially, what I've done is thrown out every carry for Ingram 1 standard deviation above and below his average, meaning if he had a run of 10 or more yards/-2 or less yards I didn't count those. Conversely, I did not count runs of 16 yards or more/-5 yards or less for Chris Ivory.

Here are the results. It is what it is, take it or leave it.

Attachments

• ingramandivory.jpg
    ingramandivory.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2
I go by what I see when I am watching the game, and Ivory is hands down much better than Ingram.

I honestly don't get the whole "Ingram vs ivory" argument. They are both solid players and the coaches obviously like them both. There has been and will likely continue to be room on this team for both.

More running plays = more 3 & out. Opponents don't care about our running game. Our 2 tackles are the reason why our running game is inefficient. Ask Reggie Bush?

More running plays = more 3 & out. Opponents don't care about our running game. Our 2 tackles are the reason why our running game is inefficient. Ask Reggie Bush?
We were like 6th in rushing in '09 and 4th in '11, and i don't remember having different tackles honestly :jpshakehead:

We don't get to play our defense twice a year like other NFC South teams do.

it is coaching and playcalling tendencies which teams have learned and I hope Payton has figured out better ways to see this when he stepped outside of the spotlight for a year.

But our scheme has good OGs and marginal OTs. Which means the outside blitz, or really good DE will collapse the run more easiliy. And we don't have a true blocking FB.

Further most of our offensive players are system types. They work well for us but there's a reason they were had so cheaply or as rejects to other teams. They aren't 5 tool players who can block, run, catch, break tackles and do it all. ....outside of graham and maybe colston, all of our players are role type....colston also...

There's nothing wrong with our running game. We run the ball just fine. The Saints have had the most dynamic offense in football over the last six years and people are complaining about it?

This is why the Gameday board is so necessary. It allows for all of the idiotic, emotion-driven posts to be collected in one place while freeing up the SSF for good conversation. Of course, since there are no games...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom