Why is it so hard to run the ball effectively (1 Viewer)

2012 was because of horrendous predictable play calling.

2011 we had no problem running the ball.

2010 our running game was decimated with injuries

2009 we had no problem running the ball.

This.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

My goal as a defensive coordinator facing the saints would be stopping the run. Thats my #1 focus playing the saints. I want drew passing the ball on every play. The saints record is putrid when has 50 + attempts.

Last year it was more than just poor play calling...it was poor execution. Especially before Kromer was back coaching oline and rb game.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I think it has little to do with patience and/or running the ball 30 or 40 times a game, and everything to do with execution. A great offense can run the ball a total of 15 times for 80 to 90 yards and show they can run the ball effectively and look unstoppable. Running the ball 40 times for 90 yards is not an effective running game.

So the question is why is there a failure in execution, but the problem is that there really is not. If you run short yardage formations your expectations in terms of execution from your backs will be a short yardage output. If we run Ingram 40 times a game he will barely gain 3 yards a carry in those formations everytime.

I do agree we have to run it more efficiently
We will never b a team tht runs it 30xs a game. Which is y one running backs has to gi tgis offseason. Were a 20xs a game on a good day type of team....maybe 25 if we get and sustain a lead.

25 touches divided by 5 is 5

No way anyone gets anything going with 5 carries a game. Try t go with tge hot hand and tgen a guy like pierre disappears in the 2nd Q.

Be down by 10pts n we may run the ball 12xs

My goal as a defensive coordinator facing the saints would be stopping the run. Thats my #1 focus playing the saints. I want drew passing the ball on every play. The saints record is putrid when has 50 + attempts.

This

The more xs u put the ball n the air the better the chances a mistake will b made.

Thts why i scream when we come out in empty back sets on 1st down cuz i immediately knowvthe next play.

If the pass is completed were passing again....if its not then we are running the ball

I swear to moses we were tht predictable

OK, he stinks and he consistently runs into the backs of his own lineman.

But but but.... He's our most consistent back. You have to take out the outliers. Disregard all the time he gets tackled in the backfield and runs into the back of his blockers. That will take his YPC from 3.9 to 4.1. Lol, Ingram is our most consistent back....at running into his blockers.

In all seriousness, with SP back at the helm I full expect our play calling to he much more unpredictable and maybe the most exciting we've ever seen.

I don't think we struggle to run the ball.

2012- 13th in NFL in YPA, this number could have been much better if we didn't try to feature Ingram.

2011- 4th in NFL in YPA

2010- 28th in NFL in YPA, we certainly struggled this season because of mass injuries. If not for Ivory's incredible performance it would have been much worse.

2009- 6th in the NFL in YPA

We don't struggle running the ball, we struggle with sticking with the running game and it is understandable at times. We are a passing offense, we aren't ever going to be a pound and ground type team. When you run the ball you take the ball out of the hands of Brees and it has to be really hard as a play caller to force yourself to do that.

This is silly. Last year we were chopped off at the head. Why are we beating this dead horse?

And on top of that... how did we end up the 3rd highest scoring teams if we were always going 3 and out? My 10 year old nephew picks better plays on Madden than we picked last year and we still dominated on offense.

2012 was because of horrendous predictable play calling.

2011 we had no problem running the ball.

2010 our running game was decimated with injuries

2009 we had no problem running the ball.

This is spot on. Considering the pattern, I predict we have no problem running the ball this year even if we are decimated by injuries and Craig Heyward has to come out of retirement to do the toting.

the teams yards per carry is good, but at the end of the day , you have to call the running plays

When PT and Sproles line up in the backfield, the opposing D doesn't know if we'll run the ball inside/outside/ or do a screen. When Ingram lines up, they know we're pretty much going to go inside.... Plus running back by committee hurts consistency but on the flip side it keeps RB's fresh...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom