Why is Louisiana's incarceration rate so high? (1 Viewer)

Nice to know, again, that we're first in the bad things and last in the good things.

"Your town is low on the education chart, high on the obesity chart and
> > > you don't care because you know it is #1 on the PARTY CHART." :covri:

You consider it an honor on occasion to have coconuts thrown at you.
> > >

Your baby's first words are "long beads".
>>>

You're walking in the quarter with a go cup and it starts to rain and
> > > you cover your beer instead of your head

... Sorry, couldn't resist-- I can never get enough of that list. :hihi:

http://web.baz.org/funny/msg00520.html

no, the original point of this thread had nothing to do with drug offenders. it was really just a question based on the prosecution rate vs. incarceration rate.

nobody has answered my question about crime in the rest of the state,so i guess i'll just have to look up the stats myself.

edit: ok, got it. each of the major cities in LA (monroe, shreveport, baton rouge, lafayette, lake charles, alexandria, and of course new orleans) is at least as dangerous as houston, which itself has an abnormally high crime rate. suspected that, but wasn't sure.

Where are you getting your stats. That doesn't sound right to me. Link please.

Where are you getting your stats. That doesn't sound right to me. Link please.

sorry, these were just some very general stats, and possibly not entirely accurate, but-

Crime Rate Comparisons

like I said, possibly not entirely accurate, but keep in mind that Houston does have ~2 million people in the city proper and on the whole seems to be a relatively sage (relative to my prior experiences) metro area. not sure if the stats are based on metros or citys proper.

edit: just checked the official stats here-> Table 6 - Crime in the United States 2006

and the other ones don't appear to be accurate.

my mistake.

also, tying into what you said about "60 days" there is an article on time.com called "the gangs of new orleans" that mentions that. the exasperated houston police, after the storm, finally resorted to locking up suspects from New Orleans for several days before their hearing so that they would learn that no, in fact, they would not be walking after 60 days.

inet, I am interested in your thoughts about the new DA? i haven't heard much about him, and i am having to look up his name as i type, as i can't recall it.

Last edited:
If it doesnt make dollars it doesnt make sense.

Someone if profiting off of these incarceration rates or something else would be done.

Do you think the ******** we put in office just want to incarcerate people to protect society?

They are doing this for the good of the people?

If so it is the first and only thing.

We are a poor and stupid state, but so is Mississippi and Arkansas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's keep in mind too that Louisiana probably doesn't have the most sophisticated crime prevention campaigns and probably doesn't have a high number of police officer per capita, especially in post-Katrina New Orleans.

Here's a really interesting story that speculates about the reasons behind the drastic drop in violent crime in New York over the last 15 years, along with reductions in other cities. It raises the possibility that New York's drop is due primarily to innovative prevention techniques, as well as having more police per capita than most other cities. Oh, and this huge drop in crime has occurred while New York has lowered incarceration rates by 14%.

Bring Crime Back -- To The National Agenda, The New Republic: Our Leaders Must Consider Innovative Solutions To A Very Real Problem - CBS News

sorry, these were just some very general stats, and possibly not entirely accurate, but-

Crime Rate Comparisons

like I said, possibly not entirely accurate, but keep in mind that Houston does have ~2 million people in the city proper and on the whole seems to be a relatively sage (relative to my prior experiences) metro area. not sure if the stats are based on metros or citys proper.

edit: just checked the official stats here-> Table 6 - Crime in the United States 2006

and the other ones don't appear to be accurate.

my mistake.

also, tying into what you said about "60 days" there is an article on time.com called "the gangs of new orleans" that mentions that. the exasperated houston police, after the storm, finally resorted to locking up suspects from New Orleans for several days before their hearing so that they would learn that no, in fact, they would not be walking after 60 days.

inet, I am interested in your thoughts about the new DA? i haven't heard much about him, and i am having to look up his name as i type, as i can't recall it.

Keva Landrum is the interim DA until the next election. She accepted the position with the caveat that she agree not to run for office.

Since coming in she has prosecuted cases Jordan would have never touched and criminals are going to jail. The police chief, Warren Riley, was quoted yesterday saying that his officers are noticing the same people aren't being arrested over and over again. Her hard work is restoring faith in the DA's office with the public and the police.

She is a hard-nosed African-American woman that is a hold-over from the Harry Connick days which probably explains why she is doing so well. She has experience. If she were to ask to run in the election for DA, I believe she would be voted in easily.

I checked the link. For those not having the time to follow it there is interesting information there that runs counter to public perception.

Here's the ranking of cities in LA and Houston (Lafayette not large enough to be included)

Higher number means more crime per 100,000 residents.

Rate of violent crime per 100,000 residents

1187.9 Shreveport/Bossier City
821.1 Baton Rouge, LA
742.9 Lake Charles, LA
707.2 Houston
556 New Orleans
521.5 Monroe

So, New Orleans has a lower violent crime rate than Houston, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge or Shreveport/Bossier City.

Monroe has the lowest violent crime rate of any city in LA with population of 100,000 or more and Houston has a crime rate FAR HIGHER than New Orleans.

Thanks for the link,

Last edited:
Have you been to New Orleans in the last 10 years???

Question Answered

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom