Why is Louisiana's incarceration rate so high? (1 Viewer)

Keva Landrum is the interim DA until the next election. She accepted the position with the caveat that she agree not to run for office.

Since coming in she has prosecuted cases Jordan would have never touched and criminals are going to jail. The police chief, Warren Riley, was quoted yesterday saying that his officers are noticing the same people aren't being arrested over and over again. Her hard work is restoring faith in the DA's office with the public and the police.

She is a hard-nosed African-American woman that is a hold-over from the Harry Connick days which probably explains why she is doing so well. She has experience. If she were to ask to run in the election for DA, I believe she would be voted in easily.

I checked the link. For those not having the time to follow it there is interesting information there that runs counter to public perception.

Here's the ranking of cities in LA and Houston (Lafayette not large enough to be included)

Higher number means more crime per 100,000 residents.

Rate of violent crime per 100,000 residents

1187.9 Shreveport/Bossier City
821.1 Baton Rouge, LA
742.9 Lake Charles, LA
707.2 Houston
556 New Orleans
521.5 Monroe

So, New Orleans has a lower violent crime rate than Houston, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge or Shreveport/Bossier City.

Monroe has the lowest violent crime rate of any city in LA with population of 100,000 or more and Houston has a crime rate FAR HIGHER than New Orleans.

Thanks for the link,

Interesting stats. I recall an SR poster calling Shreveport "Leave It To Beaver Land" or something like that the other day. Things are not all rosy up here folks.

I checked the link. For those not having the time to follow it there is interesting information there that runs counter to public perception.

Here's the ranking of cities in LA and Houston (Lafayette not large enough to be included)

Higher number means more crime per 100,000 residents.

Rate of violent crime per 100,000 residents

1187.9 Shreveport/Bossier City
821.1 Baton Rouge, LA
742.9 Lake Charles, LA
707.2 Houston
556 New Orleans
521.5 Monroe

So, New Orleans has a lower violent crime rate than Houston, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge or Shreveport/Bossier City.

Monroe has the lowest violent crime rate of any city in LA with population of 100,000 or more and Houston has a crime rate FAR HIGHER than New Orleans.

Thanks for the link,

Those rates are by metropolitan statistical area, and the population data used New Orleans MSA is way off for the actual population in 2006. I think if it were adjuster for the actual population at the time NOLA would take the lead. Shreveport-Bossier City MSA takes a hit for the high number of reported aggravated assaults in Bossier City. Similarly, New Orleans MSA crime rate is lowered by a relatively low number of reported aggravated assaults in Kenner.

Also, the population data used for Baton Rouge appears to be pre-Katrina numbers as well, which would cause the crime rate there to be artificially inflated - just as overestimating the NOLA population leads to an artificially low crime rate.

LA needs more Mexicans. That should fix it. ;)

Last edited:
Those rates are by metropolitan statistical area, and the population data used New Orleans MSA is way off for the actual population in 2006. I think if it were adjuster for the actual population at the time NOLA would take the lead. Shreveport-Bossier City MSA takes a hit for the high number of reported aggravated assaults in Bossier City. Similarly, New Orleans MSA crime rate is lowered by a relatively low number of reported aggravated assaults in Kenner.

Also, the population data used for Baton Rouge appears to be pre-Katrina numbers as well, which would cause the crime rate there to be artificially inflated - just as overestimating the NOLA population leads to an artificially low crime rate.

LA needs more Mexicans. That should fix it. ;)

It has to be by Metro area. Any other comparison is unfair. Houston is made up of its metro area as is Dallas-Ft. Worth and Shreveport-Bossier. So what if Kenner had fewer assaults. It is part of the metro New Orleans area. Can't cherry pick areas.

The numbers were for 2006, so I don't believe they are pre-Katrina. I'll go back and check it.

For the record though, Houston's numbers were higher pre-k as well.

Let's keep in mind too that Louisiana probably doesn't have the most sophisticated crime prevention campaigns and probably doesn't have a high number of police officer per capita, especially in post-Katrina New Orleans.

Here's a really interesting story that speculates about the reasons behind the drastic drop in violent crime in New York over the last 15 years, along with reductions in other cities. It raises the possibility that New York's drop is due primarily to innovative prevention techniques, as well as having more police per capita than most other cities. Oh, and this huge drop in crime has occurred while New York has lowered incarceration rates by 14%.

Bring Crime Back -- To The National Agenda, The New Republic: Our Leaders Must Consider Innovative Solutions To A Very Real Problem - CBS News

yeah, we had a drastic drop in crime, too, when Pennington was the chief- he came down from New York and brought that policing style with him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom