Why is Marcus Murphy on an NFL roster? (1 Viewer)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The guy cant even catch a ball without bobbling it. He's slow, cant break a tackle, and practically useless anytime hes on the field. The only time he gets yards on a return is when he drops the balls and the defense shifts their attention to recovering it instead of hitting him. He can't even keep from fumbling the 3 times he touches the ball a game. It's ridiculous..especially considering Cadet (who I dont like) is on the team and he can do anything Murphy can better. The Saints need to move on and use that spot on a veteran that can actually contribute.

There are quite a few people I'd rather see returning kicks. Waste of a roster spot, imo.

The guy cant even catch a ball without bobbling it.

false

false

cant break a tackle
false

and practically useless anytime hes on the field.
The only time he ever sees the field is on returns. Today he returned 5 kicks for 86 yards and 2 punts for 11 yards. That borders more on "competent" than it does "great" but it is definitely not "useless" by any stretch of the imagination.

The only time he gets yards on a return is when he drops the balls and the defense shifts their attention to recovering it instead of hitting him.

false

He can't even keep from fumbling the 3 times he touches the ball a game.
touched the ball 7 times today, zero fumbles. false

false

false

false

The only time he ever sees the field is on returns. Today he returned 5 kicks for 86 yards and 2 punts for 11 yards. That borders more on "competent" than it does "great" but it is definitely not "useless" by any stretch of the imagination.

false

1. He ran a 4.61 40 at the combine which is very slow for any skill position let alone a returner. His game speed is even slower.

2. He's constantly bobbling the ball and the fact that Sean Payton commented on his fumbling issues is enough as evidence. Him not fumbling today doesn't dispel all the times he's fumbled in the past.

3. Those stats are nothing to be proud of.

false

false

false

false

so why not just let Hightower or, better yet, Spiller do the same thing and not have to cut a veteran CB who we could obviously use.

1. Willie Snead ran 4.67. Is he slow too? track speed ≠ football speed
2. he had one bad game this preseason and looked great the other three with no issues
3. Once again, I said they were "competent" not "great" but certainly not "useless"

I will never understand the need to prove a point with over-the-top exaggeration. You can argue Murphy's deserving to be on the roster without saying dumb things like "he's slow" when he's quite clearly one of the faster players on the roster, or that he's "constantly bobbling" when he obviously appears to have cleaned that up as of late.

so why not just let Hightower or, better yet, Spiller do the same thing and not have to cut a veteran CB who we could obviously use.

A reasonable take. I agree.

I think he was so concerned about hanging on to the ball that his returns suffered. He wasn't trying to run; he was trying not to fumble. Especially on that last return. He had plenty of room and ran right into a pack of people. Slowly.

1. Willie Snead ran 4.67. Is he slow too? track speed ≠ football speed
2. he had one bad game this preseason and looked great the other three with no issues
3. Once again, I said they were "competent" not "great" but certainly not "useless"

I will never understand the need to prove a point with over-the-top exaggeration. You can argue Murphy's deserving to be on the roster without saying dumb things like "he's slow" when he's quite clearly one of the fastest players on the roster, or that he's "constantly bobbling" when he obviously appears to have cleaned that up as of late.

A reasonable take. I agree.
The only one saying dumb things is you. Snead actually ran a 4.62 and a 4.5 at the proday. lol you cant compare a possession receiver to a return guy. Return guys have to be fast. WRs dont. Murphy had 3 fumbles last year and if you actually paid attention during the games you'd see him having trouble catching the ball almost every time. He had 2 fumbles on 14 attempts as a RB in the preseason which is utterly pathetic. He has never had a kick return TD which is more evidence that his game speed is slow. He may be fast compared to you personally but we're talking NFL standards here kiddo.

false

false

false

false

Is that you, Marcus?

false

false

false

false

Marcus? Is that you?...

The only one saying dumb things is you.

I'm not the one basing my entire argument on gross exaggerations, but OK

The guy had 3 fumbles last year and if you actually paid attention during the games you'd see him having trouble catching the ball almost every time.
nobody's arguing that he hasn't had fumble issues in the past. That does not mean he currently has them, in the present. Considering that SP basically called him out on it in the preseason, it's safe to say that coach is satisfied that Murphy has overcome those issues for now.

He had 2 fumbles on 14 attempts as a RB in the preseason which is utterly pathetic.
we've already acknowledged he had a bad game fumbling in the preseason, but do the other 3 good games count for nothing? Certainly it is not fair to pigeonhole the guy based on 1 bad game out of 4, correct?

He has never had a kick return TD
He had a punt return TD against the Panthers last season. See video below, it is a pretty impressive run.

He may be fast compared to you personally but we're talking NFL standards here kiddo.
Again, Willie Snead ran a slower 40 time. Who cares? Football speed and track speed are not the same thing. - oh by the way, Murphy ran 4.53 on his pro day but I notice you conveniently ignored that in favor of his inferior combine workout.

If you honestly watch Murphy run the ball and do not think he looks reasonably fast compared to other guys on the field, I don't know what to tell you...."kiddo"

slow player, breaks no tackles

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...694291/Marcus-Murphy-breaks-free-for-27-yards

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000509748/Murphy-3-yard-TD

aforementioned return TD, but "not fast," OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3beCqpMtL8M&feature=player_embedded

What Murphy is hands down is frustrating to watch. On that last kickoff return he ran right into the coverage...smh

It's bad when you get excited after the opposing team kicks the ball through the endzone.

Our idea of a big return is a kicker kicking the ball out of bounds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom