Question Why is there no more longevity with today’s RB’s? (1 Viewer)

My two cents:

1. Players and teams are wary of concussions now. So early retirements or other teams don't want to touch them if cut.
2. Because of how strict the helmet to helmet is now...defenders are going for the knees, legs, ankles. More season/career ending injuries there.
3. It's become a pass-happy game. So if you are not a running back who catches out of the back field...there is not as big of a market for you. Therefore teams can go with a cheaper option.

GPS tracking. I went to a seminar 8-10yrs ago and they showed us what could be done with one stitched into every player's shirt. Where they run, how fast they do it etc.

Further to your point, the lecturer gave the specific example of a great player who had been playing a 'full game' for most of his career. The analytics guys arrived, looked at the data and promptly advised exactly when in games the coaches should take him out, to preserve his overall health, based on the fact that his athletic performance and decision making fell off a cliff after that point, in game after game. It actually benefited both the team and the player to manage his workload that way.

Yeah, it’s the Zebra (had to look it up) technology. It’s used in game balls as well as jerseys for teams. I’m all about analytics and how they can help shape the game and preserve a player’s career.

Today’s athletes are bigger and stronger, but I don’t think the tendons and ligaments are any stronger than they were in the past. I believe that’s why we see so many injuries league wide and the running back gets the brunt of it if they’re handled as a workhorse.

With all the trade talks surrounding AK and the devalue of the RB position it’s left me wondering why today’s RB’s don’t seem to last like their predecessors.

Prior to say 2010, the Franchise RB was a staple of a strong dominate team. Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Terrell Davis, Marshawn Lynch, Deuce, Warwick Dunn, Eddie George, and so on and so on. These guys rarely ever came out of the game and were true work horses. Most have very long careers even though they carried the ball over 300 times a season. So why is today’s RB’s careers so low?

Don’t give me the “today’s game is more physical” because that’s not true. The Dome Patrol, The Steel Curtain, Monsters of the Midway, and individual players like Steve Atwater, Chris Speillman, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Troy Palomallu, Ronnie Lott, Kam Chancellor, etc would destroy RB’s consistently through those eras.

You would think in today’s modern medicine and training that RB careers would be longer and better but for some reason the opposite seems to be happening and I’m curious as to why?
It is very interesting that you put Deuce in there, because he had two great seasons and two solid seasons (with great moments). Ricky, was probably not as good as a peak Deuce, but he lasted a lot longer.
Deuce kind of epitomizes the problem with RB position. Injuries take their toll a lot harder there.

My two cents:

1. Players and teams are wary of concussions now. So early retirements or other teams don't want to touch them if cut.
2. Because of how strict the helmet to helmet is now...defenders are going for the knees, legs, ankles. More season/career ending injuries there.
3. It's become a pass-happy game. So if you are not a running back who catches out of the back field...there is not as big of a market for you. Therefore teams can go with a cheaper option.

These are all great points. To extend on point 3, in a pass happy league, we’re seeing more RBs in today’s NFL hovering around 200 pounds as opposed to the juiced up 230 pound bruisers.

With all the trade talks surrounding AK and the devalue of the RB position it’s left me wondering why today’s RB’s don’t seem to last like their predecessors.

Prior to say 2010, the Franchise RB was a staple of a strong dominate team. Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, Terrell Davis, Marshawn Lynch, Deuce, Warwick Dunn, Eddie George, and so on and so on. These guys rarely ever came out of the game and were true work horses. Most have very long careers even though they carried the ball over 300 times a season. So why is today’s RB’s careers so low?

Don’t give me the “today’s game is more physical” because that’s not true. The Dome Patrol, The Steel Curtain, Monsters of the Midway, and individual players like Steve Atwater, Chris Speillman, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Troy Palomallu, Ronnie Lott, Kam Chancellor, etc would destroy RB’s consistently through those eras.

You would think in today’s modern medicine and training that RB careers would be longer and better but for some reason the opposite seems to be happening and I’m curious as to why?
Bigger, better, faster, stronger

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom