Why is this team always so turnover prone? (1 Viewer)

Innotech

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
We have got to be one of the most turnover prone teams every year. Why cant we protect the ball better? Is our offense being too finesse? Even when we run we cant hold onto it. We muff punts, we get kicks blocked. We turn the ball over way way way way way way way way too much!!!

We don't turn the ball over too much, but when we do it's mostly because Drew holds the ball too long trying to make a big play.

He always looks scared and jittery verse physical teams (DEN, SEA, CAR). It takes him much longer to ease into those games, and we play poor early

The offense isn't turnover prone. Drew doesn't play "perfect" in every game, but today he did well enough to be in position to win.

It's just when this stuff happens, good teams overcome their mistakes.

I believe the Saints are turnover prone because let's face it...they are a finesse passing team. Think about it...take away the couple Mark Ingram fumbles and you'll see that the majority of the turnovers come on passing plays. You'll also notice most of the Saints multiple turnover games come against the more physical teams we've faced such as the Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos. The only exception was the Seahawks where the only turnover was the Mark Ingram fumble. I attribute that to it being the best gameplan and coached game of the season so far.

Listen... I love me some Drew Brees, but if Drew has one fault its he REFUSES to take an incompletion. The only time he throws the ball away under pressure is when its a designed screen, and he throws it tyo the ground.

Any other time he's under pressure he tries to squeeze a throw into a heavily-contested receiver. Sometimes he completes them. Most times its incomplete, and other times its a pick. Gotta be more careful with the ball.

Teams have started to figure us out.

We can longer get by with a patchwork offensive line, 1 serious threat at WR and a average RB (Ingram), and a soft TE.

DCs are also probably telling the players to lay the wood when we have the ball in our hands. They look at film and see all the drops, fumbles, etc.

I feel the problem is other teams get a ton of picks when our receivers are going over the middle and the ball gets jarred out and lands in a safety or linebackers arms. However on the other side of the ball, we see deflected balls fly up in the air only to fall haplessly to the turf.

Why do we always do this?? Drew is gonna throw some interceptions. When you pass with the volume and aggressiveness the Saints do it's gonna happen. His ratio is better than 3-1 TD/Int. Those are elite numbers.

We just aren't good enough to overcome ANY turnovers. We threw interceptions in 2009 as well.

We make risky throws and Drew trusts his guys to make a play on the ball. He's always been known for throwing it into traffic and having his receivers make insane catches (like Brandin Cooks' TD on Sunday)

On offense, there will be always be some turnovers because Brees is so aggressive in the passing game.

The special teams are a different matter--I consider blocked kicks to be turnovers--and are a reflection of organizational failure and bad coaching.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom