Why isn't anyone talking about Next Gen? (1 Viewer)

Predict your next gen future:

• OMG! I'm getting the Bone - give me Kinect and used games!!

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • PS4 - love me some rootkitz

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • BOTH@!! MOAR, MOAR, mAOR!!

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • PC Games 4 lyfe

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Pfft

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • (vote at your own risk - option to be edited later)

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
Brilliant article here: We can stop calling the PS4 and Xbone Next Generation consoles now - PC & Tech Authority

The overnight news that Microsoft is abandoning a lot of its plans for the Xbox One and going with a model analogous to Sony’s is one of the most disappointing decisions it has ever made. The inherent irony of moving away from an always-online future after being berated by those who spend their days *****ing and moaning on the internet should not be lost on anyone.

In one fell swoop Microsoft has joined Sony in setting back the evolution of the console by a decade

It is also fascinating to see that Microsoft’s shying away from a digital model that is designed to accommodate a household with multiple consoles comes on the same day that people have discovered a potential game lending feature built into Steam. This model is in many ways analogous to the now abandoned ‘family’ concept of Xbox One game ownership, designed to make it easy for games to be played across several consoles without having to keep track of ever deteriorating discs.

All I saw was a rant about disc based media, which I know will happen one day, but I personally am not ready for it.

I want to own something in my hand not necessarily on a HDD or Cloud located somewhere in never never land.

I also though understand the push to rid of physical media, which is more $$$$ for game Dev's and less need for publishers.

Also I don't see the Movie industy moving away from disc media anytime soon, if you have a blockbuster movie, lets say Iron Man 3, that movie will make an additional 50-100 million from disc sales, not including rentals.

I know Sony and MS hate/dont like Gamestop, because they are a middle man sucking away profits from Dev's, but right now, that's the current business model that's going strong.

In the end, for the Dev's it makes a little sense, to me, it's pure sickafantic greed, enough, can never be enough, especially for Microsoft.

Just my OP.

All I saw was a rant about disc based media, which I know will happen one day, but I personally am not ready for it.

I want to own something in my hand not necessarily on a HDD or Cloud located somewhere in never never land.

I also though understand the push to rid of physical media, which is more $$$$ for game Dev's and less need for publishers.

Also I don't see the Movie industy moving away from disc media anytime soon, if you have a blockbuster movie, lets say Iron Man 3, that movie will make an additional 50-100 million from disc sales, not including rentals.

I know Sony and MS hate/dont like Gamestop, because they are a middle man sucking away profits from Dev's, but right now, that's the current business model that's going strong.

In the end, for the Dev's it makes a little sense, to me, it's pure sickafantic greed, enough, can never be enough, especially for Microsoft.

Just my OP.

I want to address the whole post, I do, but right now I'm going into a meeting and it's "sickafantic" that's bothering me.

Be strong, I'll be right back.

onew_bunny__bucket_of_tears_by_kittykat91096-d504bw6.jpg

Time to leave the nest.

If you get a star named after you, they will send you a certificate.

This is a Good Thing.

Yes, they are. Netflix. Amazon Prime. Hulu. Vudu, itunes, et. al. And take a look at the bargain bins and how low those prices are - discs aren't selling like they used to. And with streaming/downloads, studios can sell direct and they don't have the material overhead of the packaging.

It's not going strong. Gamestop is making it's money on used games. Margins on new games are terrible. Without the revenue from online independent developers, creativity in development is going to be crushed - which will kill Gamestop as well, regardless if they can keep selling used games. With online distribution and big box stores like Best Buy, Fry's, Target and the like, it's a matter of when, not if, Gamestop folds.

I do commend you on this sentence though.

Just my OP.

Indeed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom