Why isn't Judas considered the greatest hero in Christianity? (4 Viewers)

I remember asking this question in middle school youth group and challenging the youth minister on the ridiculous assertion that Judas was in hell because of the “sin” of suicide and no longer being alive to “repent” from said “sin”.

I wasn’t very popular with the youth minister for this and several other reasons.

The very name Judas is synonymous with betrayal.

But if you believe the events of the Bible, here's a dude who was one of the chosen 12 who gave up everything to follow Jesus. They were a brotherhood. And then this event transpired that had to happen for the salvation of the Earth. In fact, Jesus asked that the cup be taken away, and God said no. That ish was going down.

So in comes Judas. Dude has to betray his friend and teacher because God is making it happen. So this pawn gets carried along in the tides of prophesy despite clearly not wanting to. And it damages him so much he kills himself and donates the money.

And somehow HE'S the bad guy. Dude is the definition of a hero. Sacrifices his own desires for the greater good.

(apparently there some apocrypha that suggest he was a good dude.)

And I did a search to make sure this topic hasn't been covered, but there was so much Judas priest to sift through I gave up, so sorry if repost.

If you believe Yahweh has a plan for everyone - you know, something happens to you, you ask why, people tell you "god has a plan for you" - then it was Yahweh's plan all along to have Judas betray Jesus. Pawn or hero? You decide.

My favorite "paradox" in the Bible is the "Jesus died for our sins" business. If indeed the Holy Trinity is true - and it has to be, otherwise by praying to Jesus and calling him "God"you are breaking the very 1st commandment, thou shalt no have other gods before me - then you have to believe that god sacrificed himself to himself, in order to atone humanity's sins against him.

I remember asking this question in middle school youth group and challenging the youth minister on the ridiculous assertion that Judas was in hell because of the “sin” of suicide and no longer being alive to “repent” from said “sin”.

I wasn’t very popular with the youth minister for this and several other reasons.

Mine was the idea that someone could live a wretched life of sin but be forgiven in one's death bed if one repented, but someone who lived a righteous and virtuous life who didn't believe will not be forgiven of his lack of belief.

Mine was the idea that someone could live a wretched life of sin but be forgiven in one's death bed if one repented, but someone who lived a righteous and virtuous life who didn't believe will not be forgiven of his lack of belief.
Yeah that one always got me too. There are so many to pick from.

The only way the Gospels can work logically is if Jesus asked Judas to betray Him.

If not, we are talking about predestination. We already have the predestination problem with Satan, but this is much worse.

The bible...best fairy tale every written.

so it is one tale is it. I used to think this way. I used to think of religious folk as all being hypocrites, talking of one thing while doing its opposite. And then I realized I didn't know a fraction of them - that I was stereotyping the whole and by doing so I wasn't the open minded, I was the hypocrite. Those books, too, were written by many people in different times and with very different end goals and circumstances from which they arose. There is wisdom for even our modern world in some of the books for those that are willing to look.

Apparently there are people here who dont know the difference between omnipotence and all-controlling
Knowing something is going to happen is not the same as making it happen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom