Why isn't there more fuss over wireless data pricing? (1 Viewer)

ATT is GSM, so something is wrong there.

Because they also resell VZW's service on their proprietary handsets (CDMA). VZW's coverage is good, but the handsets they sell don't utilize their 4G-LTE network. If you buy one of their SIMs, it is at&t, you can use any GSM handset, (even ones locked to at&t or t-mobile(which you have to specify when you buy if it is t-mo) and you can use the 4G-HSPA+ network which is nationwide.

The future is prepaid. MVNOs such as Straight Talk and Net-10 resell at&t's GSM service via the "bring your own smartphone plan". Unl talk, text and 4G (HSPA+) for 45 bucks a month. With net-10, you can have two lines on this for 85 bucks a month. The second my contract runs up with at&t, I'm porting my phone number to ST. It goes to show you how cheap the service REALLY is if they can sell to these third parties, and they can resell so much cheaper and still make money.

The phones they sell, suck. They are cheap CDMA handsets, they have to be cheap for the average user to buy unsubsidized by contract, but the sim card program works great, just buy any at&t phone and pop their sim in, no unlock required. no LTE coverage, but I get 700-800k all day on my HSPA+ here in MS (no LTE coverage here yet).

Can't wait.. I'm going to pay the $495 for the one year service, and not pay a bill for a whole year! Right now I'm paying that every 3 months!

Can you mms on straight talk? And is it truly unlimited if they throttle you at the drop of a hat per their whim?

Ppl don't fuss because it doesn't pay. When you fuss and actually make a difference, then more and more will fuss. Until then, do as majority do and pay! :ezbill:

Can you mms on straight talk? And is it truly unlimited if they throttle you at the drop of a hat per their whim?

MMS works just fine, you have to configure it, but there's an app for that, just go on the market/app store and download it while hooked up to wifi. No throttling, but supposedly if you're an abuser (or they catch you tethering) they will send you a warning text. I have a friend that regularly uses 8-9gb a month and hasn't been fussed at yet. On at&t's best current plan 9 GB would cost you 90 bucks.. enough for 2 lines of unl everything on Straight Talk. wireless internet is the 2nd biggest ripoff on mobile phones, with Text messaging being number 1..considering it cost literally nothing to send a text. The amount of data in 140 characters is piggybacked onto the same ping that your phone does back and forth with a tower thousands of time per day.

I'm grandfathered into unlimited with AT&T as well. I use my iPhone to stream music all day at work so I don't know what I would do if I had to pay by GB. I have gotten the message from AT&T saying that if I go over 3GB in my bill cycle, my speed will be cut down, but I haven't noticed any slow down.

2 phones, even with the lowest data plan, would still cost me $120+ once all the tax and **** is tacked on the back end. Which doesn't make it significantly cheaper than what I pay ATT now. Except with ATT I got the $200 dollar phone. Actually 2 $200 phones. Cost savings applied over the course of two years? Tmobile plan costs almost the exact same.

The Emperor still has clothes, he just changed outfits.

2 phones, even with the lowest data plan, would still cost me $120+ once all the tax and **** is tacked on the back end. Which doesn't make it significantly cheaper than what I pay ATT now. Except with ATT I got the $200 dollar phone. Actually 2 $200 phones. Cost savings applied over the course of two years? Tmobile plan costs almost the exact same.

The Emperor still has clothes, he just changed outfits.

I hear ya - I wasn't trumping up T-Mobile. I was just pointing out that the dialogue is starting to pick up.

I have AT&T with an iPhone 4S. If I upgrade to a 4G device (say the GS4), can I stay grandfathered in at $30/mo for 4G even though I had 3G with the iPhone? It seems I can based on the OP, but I just want to confirm.

Also, does anyone have T-Mobile and if so, what do you think about the cellular and data reception?

Just want to keep up with this for later.

Grandfathered in on Verizon unlimited.

Agreed and personally think its a manner of time before our home Internet is bought by the gb also... Should be more outrage

I have AT&T with an iPhone 4S. If I upgrade to a 4G device (say the GS4), can I stay grandfathered in at $30/mo for 4G even though I had 3G with the iPhone? It seems I can based on the OP, but I just want to confirm.

Also, does anyone have T-Mobile and if so, what do you think about the cellular and data reception?

Depends on what you mean by 4G. at&t's original 4G (HSPA+, affectionately referred to as 3.5G) is included in the unl data plan, just have to have a capable phone (4S is capable). In order to use their true 4G (LTE) you'd have to get an iPhone 5, gs3, gs4, etc. and your account will not have the features necessary to use LTE with that data plan. So, in short, yes you can get the phone, but you won't be able to access the LTE network

the reason that more people don't fuss is because they're too busy looking at pictures of cats

As long as you stay with a smart phone you should be able to keep your unlimited plan. Once you decide to change it or if you decided to purchase a non-smartphone you lose the plan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom