Why no Reggie Deep Ball? (1 Viewer)

SpinnerSaint

Parking's a real bear.
Reaction score
I love this new coaching staff as much as the rest of you. Although, i for the life of me cannot figure out why they have only gone to reggie deep ONCE this year, and it was sneaking out of the backfield. I mean I'm no offensive coordinator but how hard can it be to kick reggie out wide and tell him to run down field as fast as he can and put horn or colston on some underneath routes that the db's would have to pick up. It just seems like with his speed he should be challenging defenses deep. I watch him when he goes on routes and they always send him in the flat or 5 yards in the middle of the field. Is it Drew's arm strength or is he that bad at running routes? They should at least try it once a game is all I'm saying.

I think the better question is why no deep balls more often to Horn and marques.

Bush gets the ball enough.

Well that 48-yarder at Carolina to him was kind of a deep ball, but you're right. Just about everythign else has been under 10 yards in the air.

I kept thinking during the pre season that I can't wait to see Reg go in motion from the backfield to see a LB covering him. What a mismatch, I thought. There are some really good cover LB'rs out there, but who can keep up with him long enough? Then, the season starts and I see him almost immediatly put in motion and I thought "here we go". Sure, it was benificial and he did his job, but it wasn't like what I had invisioned. Teams have prepared themselves for just a scenario and have adjusted by using DB's on the coverage.

I guess the best thing they could do is to have him run a pass pattern from the backfield. That way, we are probably going to see more LB's covering than we would see DB's when he is wide. No matter where he is set at the snap, they should try him deeper. In the open field, anyone can run wild, but Reg could really strike fear in a lone tackler with just the endzone behind him.

I'm with Mac504. Chuck it deep to 87 and 12. Then, the shorter routes may produce better results.

I think this staff has a lot in store ala the H-back pass!

I keep hearing this from the players. I hope you guys are right about this! I mean I can think of a few instances they should have pulled out some new stuff in the Baltimore game.

I mean I can think of a few instances they should have pulled out some new stuff in the Baltimore game.

I can think of at least one time (Bush interception) where I wish they hadn't. :D

No deep ball because Bress still cant throw the deep ball. That has been my observance so far.

Brees is never going to be throwing 65 yard bombs, but for the most part, I think he has looked pretty good in the deep passing game. :dunno:

He may not be able to whip it 65 yds, but I have seen some pretty good velocity on the shorter routes. Anyway, his deep ball has to be somewhat comparible to most arms in the league. After the injury he had, he, and we are just glad to see him playing.

His arm is fine, even if not 100% -- so that's not a concern of mine. The deep ball isn't really the right indicator of arm strength anyway, it's a QB's ability to throw the outs.

I don't expect Drew or any body to consistently hit 65 yd bombs (except for Jamarcus) but how bout a 30 yard strike over his left shoulder? The kid's got better acceleration than 90% of the league AND great hands. I would like to see more split backs with reggie and deuce w reggie being put in motion to either side and drew audibling into a run with deuce if they defense commits a db or go with a pass if they slide a lber over to "attempt" to cover him. Take what the defense gives you it's a high percentage play. I'm just disappointed at the poor showing of our offense in the first half last week. It just seems like if they keep runnin those swing passes to reggie and runs to the sideline, teams with defenses along the lines of the Ravens are eventually gonna sniff those plays out.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing more deep passes to Bush. He's got the speed to burn most corners in the league and if its a LB on him then its all over. Kinda off topic, but something else I wouldn't mind seeing is the direct snap to either Reggie or Deuce. I know under Haz we used to use this a couple of times a game with Deuce and it'd work effectively. I think this could work well with Bush since the defense would have less time to react to him getting the ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom