Why not Briggs? (1 Viewer)

nextyear

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
It seems like all we are after are cheap, injured or old LB's. We should not pay Samuels that much so why not throw our money at Briggs. He will probally be looking for something in the 5-6year 45-65m range. He is the only BIG name defensive FA besides Asante "show me all the money you have " Samuels. He would help our "D" instantly and has no injury baggage.
He can be counted on from day one. This would allow us to take a DT or CB in the first round
instead of settling for USC's Rivers who is unproven. If the Saints and Payton are dead set on improving the "D" then why not get the best out there?

It seems like all we are after are cheap, injured or old LB's. We should not pay Samuels that much so why not throw our money at Briggs. He will probally be looking for something in the 5-6year 45-65m range. He is the only BIG name defensive FA besides Asante "show me all the money you have " Samuels. He would help our "D" instantly and has no injury baggage.
He can be counted on from day one. This would allow us to take a DT or CB in the first round
instead of settling for USC's Rivers who is unproven. If the Saints and Payton are dead set on improving the "D" then why not get the best out there?
Who knows? We might, and I sure hope we are, be planning on making a run at him. FA starts next week, so we'll see.

We can't sign Briggs yet. We can sign Dan Morgan.

Can we just sticky a thread called "Why haven't we signed anyone yet?" to the top?

I know we can't sign him yet but I was just saying that every broken down LB that is cut they are trying to sign. I don't believe that will help.

can we atleast wait until free agency actually begins

jesus u guys have no patience

I bet that the Skins sign him. Snyder was all over him last offseason, and you know he can't help himself. Also I think that their boy McIntosh had a pretty significant injury later in the year. Maybe it was his knee?

I know we can't sign him yet but I was just saying that every broken down LB that is cut they are trying to sign. I don't believe that will help.

Why not? You sign them to short, low-dollar deals and hope they recover. It's not too costly if it doesn't work out unless they represent your "plan A". Which they may, but you and I wouldn't know that yet.

Why don't we try waiting and seeing how this all plays out before critiquing?

Yeah, FA hasn't even started...so we don't know what their plan is.

But from what we've seen (pursuing of Zach Thomas, Morgan, supposedly Ian Gold), at least it looks like we will be active and aggressive...in trying to upgrade the D and be in the market for help overall.

Unlike before...sitting down and doing nothing. At least their trying.

Yeah, FA hasn't even started...so we don't know what their plan is.

But from what we've seen (pursuing of Zach Thomas, Morgan, supposedly Ian Gold), at least it looks like we will be active and aggressive...in trying to upgrade the D and be in the market for help overall.

Unlike before...sitting down and doing nothing. At least their trying.

Morgan, Thomas, and Gold all represent low-dollar/low-risk type signings. Which could mean any number of things

It could be
- Securing a "plan B" so that when we put together a strong run for someone like Briggs, if we get outbid, we're not left holding a jockstrap and nothing else

- Because we plan on addressing other positions in FA and plan to draft LB in the draft

- Or because we're going to shotgun the position, sign a bunch of long-shots and hope some pan out

Obviously not everyone will be happy with all of these options, but we really don't know where they're going yet. Since Free Agency hasn't begun, we're at best speculating on their gameplan.

What we do know is they've cleared a lot of cap space, and it's going to somebody.

Morgan, Thomas, and Gold all represent low-dollar/low-risk type signings. Which could mean any number of things

It could be
- Securing a "plan B" so that when we put together a strong run for someone like Briggs, if we get outbid, we're not left holding a jockstrap and nothing else

- Because we plan on addressing other positions in FA and plan to draft LB in the draft

- Or because we're going to shotgun the position, sign a bunch of long-shots and hope some pan out

Obviously not everyone will be happy with all of these options, but we really don't know where they're going yet. Since Free Agency hasn't begun, we're at best speculating on their gameplan.

What we do know is they've cleared a lot of cap space, and it's going to somebody.

I hope people can understand this Spam!

Seems like some folks think were going cheap this year, and doing nothing! From all signs it looks like were def going to fix the D up.

I hope people can understand this Spam!

Seems like some folks think were going cheap this year, and doing nothing! From all signs it looks like were def going to fix the D up.

The other thing people have to understand is intentions don't strictly translate into results.

We can "intend" to spend all kinds of money on all kinds of Free Agents...but they have to accept the offers. For instance, Zach Thomas' agent said we made a very good offer to Thomas, but he went to the Cowboys anyways. Thomas is from Texas if I remember correctly, so that may have been a factor, but it illustrates that it's not strictly in our hands who we get in FA or not.

These players are not automatons, it's not strictly an issue of offering them more money and they automatically accept. They have their own motivations and we need to come to terms now with the idea that, for one reason or another, some of them might just flat-out not want to play in New Orleans.

It could be

That's a perfect analysis - it's just a shame we're probably looking at option 3.

L.Briggs might have character issues. I seem to recall an incident with his "disposable" high-end sports car that he left at the scene of a crash and last year's training camp hold out drama.

Just my two cents.

hmm, who did they cut to clear more cap space, i know several other teams cleared a bunch.. but whom did we cut to alleviate space?

He's not worth the money he will get on the open market.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom