Why not?? (1 Viewer)

I don't know but I don't think everyone realizes how quickly we can run through cap space. We don't have the details on the contract yet of course, but given our propensity to front-load deals it seems likely Gay's deal is big enough to preclude a monster deal like Hall is expecting.

I guess if you really want a player something just about always can be worked out (unless you're the Redskins this year), but the more likely outcome is we're largely done at the CB position until maybe the draft.

Yeah. The only positions I really see us upgrading are TE (hopefully Troupe), WR (Patten) and DT if we can work out a trade.

It's looking more and more like we'll target one of the top CB's or DT's. My personal hope is that we move up for one of the DT's (cue REALCHRISM yelling at me about how we won't have to move up :D ).

Here's my point - you definitely won't find a better corner in the 1st. Whatever you have to pay, wouldn't it be better than paying some unknown commodity? You KNOW you will get a shutdown corner!

Yeah. The only positions I really see us upgrading are TE (hopefully Troupe), WR (Patten) and DT if we can work out a trade.

It's looking more and more like we'll target one of the top CB's or DT's. My personal hope is that we move up for one of the DT's (cue REALCHRISM yelling at me about how we won't have to move up :D ).

That's precisely what i'm seeing. I think a DT is possible, particularly if it looks like one of the DTs we like in the draft won't be there for us (think draft day trade for Robertson), I think a TE upgrade of some sort is desired, and I think we'll probably be happy with David Patten back who is testing the market similiar to Stecker.

Other then that, honestly, I suspect we're by and large done in Free Agency (much to everyone's consternation) until draft day.

I also don't think we're going to a target a CB in the first, rather I think we're going to move towards more zone and to de-emphasizing CBs. I think our priority list is DTs 1st and LBs 2nd for the first round.

You can't give our division rival 2 top 10 picks during a rebuilding year... no thanks, and besides we burn hall every year...i hope he stays in ATL.

I really don't think we'll add any other significant CBs having signed Gay.

I agree. I think they will now focus on TE, maybe WR and use the draft to add another CB...likely either in the rds 1-3 depending on who is available, etc.

This is one of those thoughts that bounced around in my head and made it past the brain filter. Could Charles Grant be dangled out there now that Bobby McCray is on board? Charles is a Georgia boy, although his contract would probably scare away any suitor. I like Charles as much as anyone, but his production is way less that his salary. He has 11 sacks over the past 3 years.

Last edited:
Here's my point - you definitely won't find a better corner in the 1st. Whatever you have to pay, wouldn't it be better than paying some unknown commodity? You KNOW you will get a shutdown corner!

That's the thing, very few people consider Hall a shutdown corner. Plus at 10, you have a shot a getting a much better player (Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, etc.) or a trade down. I feel Hall is very overrated and he's going to want a Clements type deal. I think we come down ahead staying at 10.

Hall believes he is the second coming of Deion Sanders. Sanders believes it also. I do not. Belief doesn't get you to the next level, making your best effort to bear your cross and become what you were made to be does. Hall beleives he is inherently something that he hasn't worked hard enough to be. He thinks he is already at that level, therefore will not do much more to get much further, kind of like Micheal Vick. He bought into the hype and blames his deficientcies and shortcomings on others. Why would we want to have anyone like that on our team for free, much less the compensation both Atlanta and he will want?

I wouldn't mind Hall on this team because he would a big upgrade to secondary but he's not worth giving ATL our number 10, especially when they already have a 3(and I think two second rounders). NO WAY.

This is one of those thoughts that bounced around in my head and made it past the brain filter. Could Charles Grant be dangled out there now that Bobby McCray is on board? Charles is a Georgia boy, although his contract would probably scare away any suitor. I like Charles as much as anyone, but his production is way less that his salary. He has 11 sacks over the past 3 years.

Impossible for a variety of reasons. We need 3-4 quality starting DE's. Grants signing bonus' would be accelerated and count against the cap all at once. Grant is an underated and intregal part to our defense, a mouthful considering what he makes. It simply would not make sense on any level to try and part with Grant in any fashion until 3 or 4 years from now.

Why wouldn't we trade our 1st to the Falcs for D Hall?

Go back and watch what Drew Brees does to him the last 4 times we've played the Falcons and I think you'll have your answer.

so you dont think they will try for lito sheppard?

Not at this point no. That isn't to say they didn't already try for Sheppard. For all we know while Gay was marinating and waiting for an offer they could have been gauging Philly's interest in a trade and the cost. Or not. No idea.

But no, at this point I would not predict any trade for any CB unless something dramatic happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom