Why so few running plays (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I was surprised we only had 13 run plays. 3.25 run plays a qtr. Our oline didn't do bad enough for us to abandon it, and its not like 3.0 a rush was killing us (heck the Giants ran is 32 times for a 2.0 avg).

Did anyone is the pres conference ask Sean why we didn't run more?

Why would it matter? For the last few seasons his press conferences looked like:

07-minister.jpg

That's never been how our offense was ran, we pass to out up points and run to seal the game, you will see a few series a quarter where we establish the run game but we are always playing to score each series and pushing the tempo.

Just my own speculation but I think it was mostly that it felt like we were chasing the game for a large portion, even at the times we were tied.

I agree though, I'd like us to run more and in particular I'd like us to run Ingram more. For that matter I'd like us to throw to Ingram more, the guy can catch the football just as well as, if not better than Cadet. Maybe he doesn't have the height or the body type to contort for low balls as well but Cadet isn't catching them anyway.

Historically the TE threat has helped open up the running game but we don't have that so their LBs are able to play the run which hurts our running game.

I was surprised we only had 13 run plays. 3.25 run plays a qtr. Our oline didn't do bad enough for us to abandon it, and its not like 3.0 a rush was killing us (heck the Giants ran is 32 times for a 2.0 avg).

Same old, same old.

Payton gets the virus a couple of games a season where he passes entirely too much. This was one of those games. I think if we run more, even for a little lower ypc, the volume of runs can make a defense pretty tired and more mistake prone late in games. Really didn't see that today.

I thought we should have sprinkled in a bit more Hightower as well. He runs hard and defenses have to expend a lot of energy to keep him contained.

That said, passing is a definite strength, but we need to be balanced enough to keep teams guessing and make that passing game even more potent.

The point about the poor performance of the TE is a good one. It has a big impact on the effectiveness of the run. If the TE is getting in the flat or over the middle, the defense has to back off a bit to make sure Fleener is accounted for. Him catching only 2 of 7 passes really hurt the ability to do other things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom