Why take so many shots at Peat? (1 Viewer)

Peat's strength is run blocking. Look at the 2017 season when Ingram and Kamara went bananas. When the Saints were running 40 times a game, Peat wasn't a problem. He actually looked solid and the mood about him on this forum was changing from negative to positive... Peat wasn't an issue when the Saints were playing smash mouth ball when Brees was injured... then Brees got healthy and then Payton went back to airing it out like crazy, and here we are. Peat is NOT the OL you want out there when you're airing it out 45 times a game, which is what the Saints did when Brees came back this year.

Peat would be fine on a run first team like the Bills where they run so much the defensive line has to slow down their pass rush. But an "air raid" offense that the Saints often run because Payton gets "the fever"? Peat's not the guy.

It was him who the Falcons defensive coaches attacked with twists and Stunts
Peat only allowed 1 of the 6 sacks in that game. Additionally, 4 of the sacks came after Peat exited with a broken arm. Hard to say he was targeted by the Falcons' coaching staff when the majority of the sacks came after he exited the game.

The only sack that can really be credited to Peat in that game was at 3:41 left in the 2nd quarter when Clayborn slammed into him while he was already preoccupied with Grady Jarrett, who would himself collect 2 sacks on Clapp in Peat's absence. Warford and McCoy also both gave up sacks that game so everyone on the interior got beat that game, not just Peat.

But the rest of the post you said it yourself, it was Aaron Donald and Everson Griffen. Both elite talents in the league. Can't knock someone for that.

revdeucewindham that does in-depth analysis of plays and players says he is the weakest link, and goes into detail why. I respect his opinion, and I've seen Peat on his butt more often than anyone else on the OL in the past 2 years. He isn't worth 9 mil a year.

Because #1 he is CONSTANTLY hurt which causes us to constantly have to shift out line. Which most people have tolerated for years because he was 'decent'. #2...he is no longer decent so that patience has run out on him.
You think Peat is hurt. Did you look at the numbers for Armstead?

You think Peat is hurt. Did you look at the numbers for Armstead?

Oh I've complained about Armstead too. Neither can finish a season. At least 'when' Armstead is healthy he is decent. That's all I can say about that. I would much rather have a lineman who rates a 7...but plays all season...compared to a lineman who rates a 10...but only plays 50% of his games.

Peat's strength is run blocking. Look at the 2017 season when Ingram and Kamara went bananas. When the Saints were running 40 times a game, Peat wasn't a problem. He actually looked solid and the mood about him on this forum was changing from negative to positive... Peat wasn't an issue when the Saints were playing smash mouth ball when Brees was injured... then Brees got healthy and then Payton went back to airing it out like crazy, and here we are. Peat is NOT the OL you want out there when you're airing it out 45 times a game, which is what the Saints did when Brees came back this year.

Peat would be fine on a run first team like the Bills where they run so much the defensive line has to slow down their pass rush. But an "air raid" offense that the Saints often run because Payton gets "the fever"? Peat's not the guy.
Agreed. He’s a good blocker in the run game. He’s far below average in the passing game.

If Peat was so horrible the saints wouldn't be ranked that high. You guys act like the other team doesn't pick up a paycheck.

In the vikings game Peat was dominating his man vs the run and yet Sean kept throwing even though a defensive end should be quicker than Peat. Whenever a team inverts their DTs and DEs you have to make them pay by running right at them.

I can't believe the way Peat is treated on this board. The past four years he has started 52 out of 64 games. He has played in 53 games. Peat is a dominant run blocker and solid in pass pro. Peat is a good player but far from great. Peat was called for one holding penalty and two false starts this year according to the same site.

On the other hand Terron Armstead has started 42 out of 64 games. And yet people on here praise him even though he is overrated. He is a good player but far from great. Armstead was called for 5 holding penalties and 1 false start this year.

They are both good players that help make the saints Oline the best in the league. Why do some of you refuse to give Peat any credit?
Peat is soft and lazy and gets beat like a drum . It’s obvious you didn’t really watch and break down that Vikings game. I will admit I saw horrible blocking from Ram who is the reason Minnesota got the sack fumble and Armstead and Eason gave up pressures and sacks .

Peat is not very good. His best attribute is that he is a starting guard that is also a high level backup LT.

All i can see is Peat whiffing on the block where Kamara was running out wide left in the playoff game. I know I should take more of a body of work, but damn, that was a terrible attempt at a run block.

Peat is soft and lazy and gets beat like a drum . It’s obvious you didn’t really watch and break down that Vikings game. I will admit I saw horrible blocking from Ram who is the reason Minnesota got the sack fumble and Armstead and Eason gave up pressures and sacks .
No, it's obvious that YOU didn't watch the film of the playoff game. I just did and Peat played his *** off. There are only 5 plays the entire game that I marked down as a loss for Peat, 4 in pass blocking and 1 in run blocking (which ended up as a TD anyway).
—————
1st quarter, 2:49 remaining, 3rd & 6 at NO 16 - Everson Griffen from the 3-technique hits Peat with the spin move and hurries Brees into throwing incomplete to Kamara, it's the first and only time Griffen beats Peat on the spin

View attachment 71C0CCAD-1CD1-40E2-9D8C-180D81311A1D.MOV

—————
2nd quarter, 13:56 remaining, 3rd & 9 at NO 36 - Griffen lines up as the 4-tech and uses his power to gain positioning and get around Peat's outside shoulder and forces Brees to slide right and take his checkdown to Josh Hill for 2 yards

View attachment 56464AE4-C92D-43B9-A9BF-C05CA21F1326.MOV

—————
2nd quarter, 9:44 remaining, 1st & Goal at MIN 4 - Linval Joseph is lined up as the 1-tech and is able to shoot the A-gap on the backside pursuit, but is unable to reach Kamara who scores the TD; this play I think Peat is expecting help from McCoy, who instead doubleteams Shamar Stephen with Warford, but the chaos resulting in the Vikings' defensive shift right before the snap led to confusion along our offensive line

View attachment DA65A442-76C8-4523-84EB-88536D1F4404.MOV

—————
3rd quarter, 14:20 remaining, 2nd & 7 at NO 26 - Joseph lined up as the 2-tech uses excellent hand placement to walk Peat back and with the right side pressure, forces Brees to escape off the left side for 5 yards

View attachment 4137C678-178F-49F8-A847-330DDDFCAF39.MOV

—————
3rd quarter, 11:33 remaining, 3rd & 1 at NO 44 - Peat gets downfield, but is unable to catch Eric Kendricks, who diagnoses the play right at the snap and runs to the edge to make the play

View attachment 13DD1ABE-BB4B-4323-8619-E25916747FEE.MOV

I listed this as a pass block since it technically was a pass, but could be considered a run block.

So of his 54 snaps, Peat arguably only lost 5 of them against some VERY good players (Griffen, Joseph, and Kendricks). That’s a far cry from “getting beat like a drum” when he won far more reps than he lost against both Griffen and Joseph.

If you have any specific plays you’d like to recall from the playoff game that you feel Peat got beat on, I’ll be happy to cap it and post it.

All i can see is Peat whiffing on the block where Kamara was running out wide left in the playoff game. I know I should take more of a body of work, but damn, that was a terrible attempt at a run block.
No offensive lineman can be expected to run down a linebacker that already has a bead on the play, much less Peat trying to run down Eric Kendricks, who was voted 1st team All-Pro this year. If it would been a DL then maybe but Kendricks’ speed and smarts had him 2 steps ahead of Peat before the ball was even snapped so I can’t really fault him for that.

Last edited:
Peat only allowed 1 of the 6 sacks in that game. Additionally, 4 of the sacks came after Peat exited with a broken arm. Hard to say he was targeted by the Falcons' coaching staff when the majority of the sacks came after he exited the game.

The only sack that can really be credited to Peat in that game was at 3:41 left in the 2nd quarter when Clayborn slammed into him while he was already preoccupied with Grady Jarrett, who would himself collect 2 sacks on Clapp in Peat's absence. Warford and McCoy also both gave up sacks that game so everyone on the interior got beat that game, not just Peat.

But the rest of the post you said it yourself, it was Aaron Donald and Everson Griffen. Both elite talents in the league. Can't knock someone for that.
Give me the QB pressure given up on that game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom