Why Taysom Hill wears number 7 (quotes from his HS coach) (1 Viewer)

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctorum
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Taysom Hill ‘absolutely’ has what it takes to answer big Saints question

[Taysom] Hill, long before he became a 26-year-old undrafted free agent out of BYU, played quarterback for Highland Hills HS coach Gino Mariani in Pocatello, Idaho.

“I coached high school 15 years prior to getting him, and he was something I had never seen,” Mariani said by phone. “Every time he stepped on the field, he was the best player, hands down.”

Hill was the punter and kicker as well. He returned kicks in big moments. He played some linebacker and safety.

“His first play his senior year at quarterback, he dropped back to pass, and he didn’t see anything he liked, and he took off and ran 87 yards for a touchdown,” Mariani said. “He’s just one of those players, he rises to the occasion.”

Hill overcame a series of devastating injuries at BYU — as well as the death of his brother Dexter, who succumbed to an opiate addiction in 2016 at 31.

I think every day that he steps on the field with that No. 7 … He was 3 here, he was 4 at BYU, he changed to 7 after his brother died. That’s what his brother’s college number was to kind of honor his brother and play for him,” Mariani said.

That was something I never knew about Taysom Hill. Hope he does his brother proud today.

Glad to see Taysom help the Saints get a win in his first NFL start. Not perfect, but a good effort and a fitting tribute to his brother today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom