Why teams don’t value a good kicker (1 Viewer)

I get nervous every time Lutz goes out to kick. Not saying he isn’t solid, it’s just a crap shoot
Well we always get nervous for a kick but when he steps on to kick, I feel like whatever the moment is, more likely than not he makes the kick so this thread has nothing to do with the saints. We were blessed with great kickers starting with the great Morten Anderson. I can just understand the pain of other teams especially when I talk to them, that’s all.

So what's your point?
That if you see your kicker misses reasonable kicks in actual games especially during clutch time, find another kicker since it can’t get worse even if that kicker had guaranteed money. The last thing one wants is going to the playoffs and being worried about your kicker. A Chicago fan friend of mine was telling me on their message boards days before their game that they worried if the game came down to parkey having to make a kick.

That if you see your kicker misses reasonable kicks in actual games especially during clutch time, find another kicker since it can’t get worse even if that kicker had guaranteed money. The last thing one wants is going to the playoffs and being worried about your kicker. A Chicago fan friend of mine was telling me on their message boards days before their game that they worried if the game came down to parkey having to make a kick.

And where will they get this kicker that's not doing anything at the moment? This is where your argument (if that's even what you've made) falls apart. Coaches have on the roster the best available person they think can help the team. He wouldn't be there otherwise. If it doesn't work out, they are left scrambling to fill a hole with what's left. One can make the reasonable assumption that if a player's not on a roster already, no coach found him worthy of being there to begin with.

John Carney was one of the most accurate kickers ever
He missed a chip shot PAT and we mostly remember how for that anamoly
Justin tucker missed a game tying PAT against us and it was incongruous that it didn’t even move the needle on his avg

I’ve seen Statistics that show “clutch” is not a statistically viable term for late game free throw shooting or late inning hitting
Like many other things in sports talk, there’s way more narrative than substance

So maybe OP do some homework and show the stats about average but clutch kickers

Well, you have done an excellent job perpetuating the thread, even coming back after bowing out of it at least 2 times. But anyway:

Yes, there are many variables to a kicking game, but that is their sole job.
A professional golfer's sole job is to hit a spherical ball with a club. They get to place the ball wherever they want, or the ball is in one place, not moving; they take all the time they want, they get to stare at the ball, take practice swings, align themselves perfectly, everyone is quiet... and then they shank it.

A professional soccer player kicking a free kick does about the same. The place the spherical ball on the spot they want, how they want it, take they time looking at angles, where the players making the barrier are standing, and had about 10 seconds after the ref whistles the ball live before he starts his kicking movement.

The FG kicker, on the other hand, starts his kicking motion before he knows here the oblong ball is going to be, and the angle it is going to be placed. And they have to do this, because if they take too long, someone will be in front of them blocking the kick. So he has to make that adjustment in a fraction of a second.

And where the ball is going to be placed is going to depend on how the center delivers the ball to the holder, where the holder is going to place it, and the angle the holder will place the ball.

And, because where the ball is placed to start the play, the kick will always be at an angle to the goal posts.

Kicking a ball, and putting it where you want it to be, it is very hard. People dismiss football kickers because they are not in there hitting people and getting hit, but don't consider the mechanics that are involved in kicking a ball, like they do with a QB throwing the ball, or a pitcher pitching, or a basketball player throwing a freethrow, or a golfer swinging a club, and they all are using their hands and arms.

That a guy like Justin Tucker is kicking 90% through 7 seasons is downright amazing.

Well, you have done an excellent job perpetuating the thread, even coming back after bowing out of it at least 2 times. But anyway:

A professional golfer's sole job is to hit a spherical ball with a club. They get to place the ball wherever they want, or the ball is in one place, not moving; they take all the time they want, they get to stare at the ball, take practice swings, align themselves perfectly, everyone is quiet... and then they shank it.

A professional soccer player kicking a free kick does about the same. The place the spherical ball on the spot they want, how they want it, take they time looking at angles, where the players making the barrier are standing, and had about 10 seconds after the ref whistles the ball live before he starts his kicking movement.

The FG kicker, on the other hand, starts his kicking motion before he knows here the oblong ball is going to be, and the angle it is going to be placed. And they have to do this, because if they take too long, someone will be in front of them blocking the kick. So he has to make that adjustment in a fraction of a second.

And where the ball is going to be placed is going to depend on how the center delivers the ball to the holder, where the holder is going to place it, and the angle the holder will place the ball.

And, because where the ball is placed to start the play, the kick will always be at an angle to the goal posts.

Kicking a ball, and putting it where you want it to be, it is very hard. People dismiss football kickers because they are not in there hitting people and getting hit, but don't consider the mechanics that are involved in kicking a ball, like they do with a QB throwing the ball, or a pitcher pitching, or a basketball player throwing a freethrow, or a golfer swinging a club, and they all are using their hands and arms.

That a guy like Justin Tucker is kicking 90% through 7 seasons is downright amazing.
maybe the 12th /end thread post we've had in here
but i doubt the thread is dead yet

So Parkey, a top 25 FG accuracy kicker of all time, 21st to be exact, isn’t good. I see.

Last edited:
Finding a good kicker is usually just being lucky. Most kickers in the NFL I have never heard of in college. Then the great college kickers don’t make it in the league. They have some exceptions like Janikowski who was a freaking first round pick and some others.

We got lucky to get Lutz. If not for playing Baltimore in preseason, them having Tucker, & Harbaugh being cool with Coach we may not even have him right now. It was almost like being in the right place & the right time cause he may have told another coach about him.

and for some reason teams can't predict when a kicker is going to miss and thus refuse to change future unclutch kickers the friday before a game

Maybe in the offseason we can get a "Why haven't the Dolphins valued a QB since Marino ?" thread.

Because, you know, they haven't tried since he retired.

Maybe in the offseason we can get a "Why haven't the Dolphins valued a QB since Marino ?" thread.
Because, you know, they haven't tried since he retired.
:inspect:

and the follow-up, 'why won't the dolphins just do what the Browns did...also the Jags' thread

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom