Why the NFL thinks its ratings are dropping... (1 Viewer)

That's fine, but there's noway 11% of their viewership is gone in a single year because of jailbreaking streaming sticks. It's not like that's a new thing.

Very, very few people have the know how or are willing to do that.

Very true, however..I haven't been that interested as I used to be since the bountygate ordeal. On top of that all the discipline and greed has kinda drove me away to where I only watch Saints game, where I used to watch all the games. Its became kind of a joke (The NFL)

Also I used buy everything I could find with Saints on it. I haven't spent a penny in years since the Bounty Deal...I refuse to give the NFl my money these days.

NFL rating are dropping because alot of idiots are "dropping to one knee":covri:

Well I won't go that far to call the idiots. The "protest players" do have legitimate concerns. But the way the go about it, not only affected ratings but alienated a lot of fans, like myself. Like every countries in this world, we all have our problems. Not trying to put weight into any one problem within this country, but we do have other issues too. But using the one moment that has been sacred to millions of American, because of the history or the military or whatever it is, to sit or kneel seems disrespectful and insulting. The whole idea of this protest is to raise awareness. But all we talk about is the national anthem and not what they are protesting about.

As a football fan, I choose to watch sports to get away from the real news that is happening. It is an escape from reality for one day. I am already "aware" of what is going on. I just need to watch the 24 hours tabloid that we call news on tv to get that. But when I want to watch sports, I don't want to be reminded of it. From my personal opinion, this saga has not help any of the situations that is going on now. And the ratings speaks for itself.

Well, living in Indonesia I cannot fully appreciate some of the complaints made here. I would agree with one person who described it as "entertainment." It certainly has a WWE feel to it.

I watch the games via the NFL game pass, so I do not get the pre-game, halftime, and post games reports. I do not see the advertisements for the halftime report and I swear they had some woman on there that was dressed like a hooker. I can remember when ESPN's Primetime first became popular. It was funny and original. It didn't take long for the rest to follow suit and I noticed the antics on the other shows became more and more childish. The sad thing really good shows, like HBO's Inside the NFL and Jaw's Monday Match-up replaced by a lot of useless fluff.

But, ok, the news media suck, but we still have the games themselves. Well, like many have expressed the penalties just kill the game. Offensive pass interference is rarely called. The league decided that scoring is more exciting and so we have the present situation. Personally, I find games more interesting when there is a struggle. Games that are a track meet are boring. It makes the games look too easy. I watched a college game the other day and after the tenth TD I was no longer impressed,... it was no big deal at that point. The NFL use to be the antithesis to that, but not anymore it seems.

I disagree that the league is mediocre. They are still professional athletes. For the me, is the lack of struggle in some games undermine by a draconian enforcement of some rules and the laxity for others.

---

I disagree that the league is mediocre. They are still professional athletes.

---

They still exist on a spectrum. There are lots of players in the NFL getting paid to play football that are objectively not that great at it.

They still exist on a spectrum. There are lots of players in the NFL getting paid to play football that are objectively not that great at it.

I don't think I can agree with this. In the past the "better" players were more concentrated on less teams. Today, they are more spread out on more teams. I wouldn't say this makes teams less competitive. If anything, it makes each game potentially more interesting. This model certainly makes it harder to find marquee match-ups for prime time games. a game between 1-3 teams may actually be better to watch than a game between 3-1 teams.

Another factor is the quality of rotational players. In the past these as well were more concentrated. Today, teams are more thin than they once were.

I grew up with the league comprising of 28 teams. They are 32 teams now. I do not think adding 4 teams has harmed the quality. Salary cap probably have more to do with the so called dilution appearance than anything else. The officiating has help turning games into track meets than the old days giving the appearance of mediocrity.

----

I don't allow the kneeling or fist-raising crybabies to dictate what I watch. I was watching NFL before their little copycat fad started, and I'll be watching it long after.

I agree completely. Kaepernick is just looking for attention and gonna blame his season on injustice and what not. Plus that hair :jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom