Why the NFL thinks its ratings are dropping... (1 Viewer)

The NFL has turned into reality TV with shows on NFL Network with questionable host and commentary and social media chiming in on NFL players and branding of said players, it's not about the sport anymore it's about exploiting the sport.

what about just simple over-saturation?
As they've argued, they fancy themselves an entertainment industry - chasing after every eye they can get is ultimately a losing strategy b/c the casually interested will always find a new thing, while the old fan will get frustrated and there's no system to develop the new fan (fantasy vs actual football)

they might want to consider downsizing but there's no way the owners and RG will go for that

OR this is just the opening salvo in the collective bargaining war

Is the NFL too blind to see their product gets poorer and poorer every year. The Saints alone have been subject to so many tick tack game changing penalties, I'm all but convinced it's rigged. Let us not forget, The commissioner and his annual random witch hunts. The product has become a joke.

One other thing that bugs me, and I agree with most of it here, is the interruptions in the game are ridiculous. Watch a college game you can get into the drives, get into the games. With the NFL anymore it's a series of games around an hour and a half of commercials. Hadn't thought about it until I was at the SD game and my wife was like why are there all the pauses in the game? Duh commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DVd5oQg.jpg

So... it has nothing to do with the rules committee coming up with all of these ridiculous and shortsighted new rules... some of which have changed the tradition of the game, not to mention others leading to bad officiating? It has nothing to do with Roger Goodell's incredible history of mishandling player discipline? Nothing to do with the outlandish cost of tickets, parking and concessions? It has nothing to do with the not so gradual watering down of the product over the past few seasons, or having too many of the bad teams in large markets?

Sure had me fooled.

I was thinking the same thing.

No no no, you have it all wrong.

-We want players to be able to hit one another. Not these sissy targeting penalties. Or if you lay a pinky on the QBs helmet...fifteen yards. Or 4th and 73, player touched his face mask, 5 yards automatic 1st down.

-We want players to celebrate. No TAUTING! You score, you dance, you spike, you make bow and arrow gestures. No penalties!

That is why the game sucks. Of course...it really is everything else you had to say too.

I knew I had forgotten something! :hihi:

It isn't football anymore and the manufactured drama is annoying. Tired of celebrations and just immaturity of the players. What I can't stand is are the talking heads who just watch highlights pass off knowledge as fact when it is based in no research. No one can be honest. It is now a reality show.

Wouldn't this be more of an attendance issue than actual television ratings? I guess I've just never heard anybody say "i don't watch such and such sport on TV anymore because stadium prices are too high"...

I just see it as a small factor contributing to people being turned off to the NFL in general, but you have a point.

I just see it as a small factor contributing to people being turned off to the NFL in general, but you have a point.

I bet actual attendance (as opposed to tix sold) is down too.

But, of course, no way to verify that because the NFL does not announce butts in seats, only tix sold....because they are all about integrity...

They've tried to goose the in-stadium experience to make up for HDTV effect on attendance, but the $12 beers and $10 chicken fingers combined with a lousy product (bad officials, bad games, long games) is finally catching up with them. And now fewer are watching at home, because, who needs to see Hoculi on your screen 30 times a game reciting a 300 word penalty call...

A big part of it for me is the commercials. I'm all about the DVR and Netflix. Seldom do I watch live TV, which means I just can't handle all the commercials that come with and NFL game. Especially when they go to commercial after the extra point and then again after the kickoff. That KILLS me. Just kills the flow of the game...but all the things mentioned above are part of the problem as well.

I can tell you why I don't watch as much. I prefer to get out the house for a bit on Sundays and get stuff done. I just don't have the time anymore to sit in front of the TV for 7 hours during the middle of the day. Roger Goodell just disgust me in basically all decision making aspects, and after the Bounty Gate debacle I lost a lot of interest. Pass interference calls deciding games, players kneeling during games, and all the controversy surrounding the league (concussions, arrest, teams relocating, owners holding cities hostage for stadiums) has left me with a feeling of disinterest. They need to get back to their roots... letting players play (not as many flags), take away tic-tac penalties that seem to only benefit the offense, babying QBs to the point no one wants to hit them, and quit the stupid fines for guys twerking in the endzone. Sorry for the rant, but thats just how I feel.

It isn't football anymore and the manufactured drama is annoying. Tired of celebrations and just immaturity of the players. What I can't stand is are the talking heads who just watch highlights pass off knowledge as fact when it is based in no research. No one can be honest. It is now a reality show.

It makes a difference when you can't get young people into the games on a regular basis. Besides, young people aren't that interested. I'm amazed at the declines I get when offering tickets to young family members. Kids don't want to be bothered with giving up half a day for a football game. The NFL is losing its market. The sad part is that they will double down on the MTV/ESPN storyline, reality, fantasy betting, BS and continue to walk away from the product itself. They've oversaturated the market and have shown nothing but contempt for their audience.

They need to cancel Thursday night football, make subjective penalties less able to influence the outcome of games, distance themselves from fantasy football and gambling, and stop with the reality TV narrative BS. Football is awesome to watch. Just focus on that and make sure the product on the field is good. The rest will take care of itself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom