Why The Saints Wont Draft a Pass Rusher in Round 1. (1 Viewer)

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know everyone has been wanting an edge rusher opposite cam jordan ever since galette left. I dont blame u, its exactly what we need. This defensive line is 1 good edge player away from being one of the best in the league potentially. Because of this the Saints will NOT draft an edge rusher in the 1st round.

Here's why:

We need a proven ready edge rusher now! Not to wait and have one develop. The saints are like the old colts, built to play with a lead, so we must have pass rushers to work in our advantage.

Brees only has so much time left.

There are many many good edge rushers in free agency this year like JPP or my personal favorite, Melvin ingram.

This draft is loaded with edge players so because of this, a stud at a different position will fall to us.

I believe the Saints will go with either Zack Cunningham or Marlon Humphrey.

This is because we can however afford to let 1 of them develop if they dont turn into a stud right away.

With the scheme of our defense and KV playing a ton of linebacker if cunningham isnt ready day 1 we will be fine with robertson and kv.

If humphrey isnt ready i believe we will be fine with breaux, pj williams, moore and vonn bell (yes i know he's a safety)

I know everyone has been wanting an edge rusher opposite cam jordan ever since galette left. I dont blame u, its exactly what we need. This defensive line is 1 good edge player away from being one of the best in the league potentially. Because of this the Saints will NOT draft an edge rusher in the 1st round.

Here's why:

We need a proven ready edge rusher now! Not to wait and have one develop. The saints are like the old colts, built to play with a lead, so we must have pass rushers to work in our advantage.

There are many many good edge rushers in free agency this year like JPP or my personal favorite, Melvin ingram.

This draft is loaded with edge players so because of this, a stud at a different position will fall to us.

This is because we can however afford to let 1 of them develop if they dont turn into a stud right away.

With the scheme of our defense and KV playing a ton of linebacker if cunningham isnt ready day 1 we will be fine with robertson and kv.

If humphrey isnt ready i believe we will be fine with breaux, pj williams, moore and vonn bell (yes i know he's a safety)

Man I think you and me have been thinking the same. Ive been warming up to DE in FA (my favorite is JPP though) and LB/DB in the draft. Humphrey please no bama corners got exposed tonight. Cunningham Id like in a trade down preferably. I made the comment earlier how we need to beef up the 3 safety look thats our regular base that works. I really want a DE in FA (highest impact over a FA CB or FA LB). My favorite at 11 is probably Malik Hooker because his range is Ed Reed like. Players that possess that you just dont see that often. LB in round 2 I like Jarrad Davis from FL a lot. So we'd have Breaux, Moore, PJ. KV can drop down and play the slot or Bell. Even Hooker has that kind of cover skills so we'd be very flexible with our safeties

I agree. Nature of the defensive scheme, need for immediate production, and instant impact based on position/last two drafts under Ireland suggest more bang for your buck vs less risk taking an LB Talent.

Mario Addison is the type of vereran you bring in for cheaper than average due to his age (30) and weakening of a division foe (Carolina) despite coming off a nearly 10 sack season. Cunningham has range and takes on blockers very well.

What I'm eyeballing is the potential to charge a kings Ransom for a team willing to move up and draft Fournette should he fall to 11. I hear the Ravens are interested in drafting a "particular" back

Speaking of having arm extension Takk is another guy with long arms. Would love to maybe move back into round 1 or early 2 to grab him. You'd get pretty explosive on D adding those 2

Man I think you and me have been thinking the same. Ive been warming up to DE in FA (my favorite is JPP though) and LB/DB in the draft. Humphrey please no bama corners got exposed tonight. Cunningham Id like in a trade down preferably. I made the comment earlier how we need to beef up the 3 safety look thats our regular base that works. I really want a DE in FA (highest impact over a FA CB or FA LB). My favorite at 11 is probably Malik Hooker because his range is Ed Reed like. Players that possess that you just dont see that often. LB in round 2 I like Jarrad Davis from FL a lot. So we'd have Breaux, Moore, PJ. KV can drop down and play the slot or Bell. Even Hooker has that kind of cover skills so we'd be very flexible with our safeties

Agreed, it wouldn't have to be Humphrey, this draft is littered with very good corners. I really like cunningham tho, his range and athleticism are special and his coverage skills for a linebacker are the best ive seen ina long long time.

This is what I'm hoping will happen. Pick up a top-tier edge rusher in FA, then use your #1 pick on a different position of need.

I agree with this as long as Barnett isn't there at 11. If he falls to us, then that's BPA and we sprint to the podium even if we already paid a bunch of money in FA for a DE. We did it last year with Rankins and Fairley. Other than that, I think we go CB at 11 seeing as injuries there ruined our season.

Agreed, it wouldn't have to be Humphrey, this draft is littered with very good corners. I really like cunningham tho, his range and athleticism are special and his coverage skills for a linebacker are the best ive seen ina long long time.

Quincy Wilson is one that gets tossed around a lot. I just dont like CB at 11 dont think theres a clear cut one that warrants that high if a pick unless you reach a bit. Plus rookie CBs impact value isnt that high unless its a Marcus Peters level talent...dont see that in this draft at 11. I think the value is there at LB (Foster if there, maybe Cunningham) DE, and S.

Keep an eye on jabril peppers also, saints like versatile players. Peppers can play safety, corner, linebacker and punt or kick returner.

Keep an eye on jabril peppers also, saints like versatile players. Peppers can play safety, corner, linebacker and punt or kick returner.

I like his versatility but I think he is a poor mans KV with the addition of being a kick returner. He doesn't strike me as being worth 11. His skills on tape dont jump out to me as much as Adams or Hooker.

I really like the idea of getting a "sure thing" for our DE needs.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the corner position. We have a bunch of guys with great promise, but nobody is really a "sure thing" at the position.

Breaux is the closest to that. I think he will be great for us, but he didn't really seem too great when he came back from the injury this year. Now, I think that's ok considering how much time he missed, but it still has me concerned.

I'd feel a lot better of we had some known commodities in place, specifically a better than average player. There's a lot of question marks at a very important position, and thrusting a rookie into a starting role at CB seems like we'd be opening up a big vulnerability.

I really like the idea of getting a "sure thing" for our DE needs.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the corner position. We have a bunch of guys with great promise, but nobody is really a "sure thing" at the position.

Breaux is the closest to that. I think he will be great for us, but he didn't really seem too great when he came back from the injury this year. Now, I think that's ok considering how much time he missed, but it still has me concerned.

I'd feel a lot better of we had some known commodities in place, specifically a better than average player. There's a lot of question marks at a very important position, and thrusting a rookie into a starting role at CB seems like we'd be opening up a big vulnerability.

When you can rush 4 and drop 7 into coverage this will mitigate the need for a top tier #2 CB. The coverage flexibility will allow Allen to scheme things to cover that 2nd or 3rd option. #2 CB wont be asked to do too much. The Raiders and Giants do this a lot. Mack Irvin and co and drop a bunch in coverage. Chiefs do it some as well.

Here's why:

I am not sure about that. It all depends on their evaluations of the roster and their budget. I can also see a change on our approach towards free agency now that I hope we learned the lesson of using the credit card without remorse.

I wouldn't mind signing a defensive end on free agency but that will almost evaporate our free agent budget in case you decide to go for someone like Ingram. Just look at the most recents signings of last year.

On the other side, this is a very good year for pass rushers in the draft, at #11 you will have a choice to pick in between players of different styles and capacities. Also you will take an advantage of the extra year of the rookie contract on a key position.

Even when we are in a healthier situation then the last couple of years, we don't have tons of money and we have to re-sign Farley, maybe use free agent money to re-build the right side of the offensive line, maybe a corner, and we have to start saving for Vacarro, Breaux and our young receivers.

There is too much to see and evaluate in the following months, and I particularly would love to build our defense around Reuben Foster (I think he will bring identity, aggressiveness and nastiness to our group), but as of now, the logical thing, is to go for a defensive end in the first round.

Some issues you're going to run into in this scenario are, while there are a lot of pass rushers, there are also teams with a lot of cap space. San Diego has the cap space to sign Ingram if they choose.

The more I begin to look at the FA field, the more I'm realizing 36M (plus another 4-8 through restructures) isn't a whole lot of money. I agree with the idea of a proven player. I'm more in the realm of a Sheard, who might not command as much as an Ingram, Jones (who will be franchised) or JPP.

At some point we have to learn that there are key positions that demand a lot of money from the cap: Quarterback, left tackle, wide receiver, pass rusher, cover corner.

These positions have to be developed internally from the draft, and you should try to re-new their rookie contracts way before the time is up to keep the cost as low as possible.

Signing a star on these positions on free agency will cost way more money then develop them.

Good teams are the ones that are ready to either resign them or allow them to leave, by being ready with a backup to replace them.

We certainly are not at that level in our roster, but we should avoid to fall in trap of backloaded contracts. That is the recipe for dead money.

Humphrey is horrible. I'm not sure why he is getting all this 1st round prospect talk. I live in Tuscaloosa and watch every game. He gets exposed weekly for horrible play. If you go back and look at all the big plays bama's defense has allowed, I guarantee Humphrey will be the one who made the mistake 75% of the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom