Why US liberals are now buying guns too (and are prepping) (1 Viewer)

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting.

Why US liberals are now buying guns too - BBC News

It is not just gun ownership that liberals are reassessing in the wake of Donald Trump's election win. There appears to have been a surge in interest in survivalism too.

In America, stockpiling weapons and food, in preparation for social and economic collapse, has tended to be the preserve of right-wing libertarians and foes of "big government". But the Liberal Prepper Facebook group - up to now a small band - reports a big increase in enquiries.

"A lot of people are worried that not only will [a Trump presidency] fail but that it will fail spectacularly to the point that we are going to end up on in one or more critical situations that we are just not prepared for," says Jeff, 36, one of the group's members.

The group is run by BlytheBonnie, a 70-year-old lifelong Democrat who turned against the party at the recent election because she "didn't like the way they treated Bernie Sanders".

She has a purpose-built, above-ground storm shelter, stocked with emergency supplies of food and water, with its own generator.

Is this behavior irrational and extreme, or completely justified?

Edit: Why the red thumbs? Am I not supposed to cite the BBC or something - or is this just a topic no one wants to discuss? How is the OP not helpful to the thread in general? Thanks.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It does seem like a knee-jerk reaction - but I have to ask...is it a bad thing to be informed about and to be competent with firearms or to be prepared to survive an unlikely scenario?

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
my african-american never touched a gun in her life, doesn't ever want our sons to have a play gun b/c Tamir Rice, et al wife is seriously considering starting a PoC shooting club

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
I'm surprised we haven't seen Trump brand survival gear and MRE's.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
my african-american never touched a gun in her life, doesn't ever want our sons to have a play gun b/c Tamir Rice, et al wife is seriously considering starting a PoC shooting club
I'm assuming you left out a word?

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Does this mean we will finally have Official Liberale Political Discussion Board Brand Potatoe Buckets available for sale?

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It does seem like a knee-jerk reaction - but I have to ask...is it a bad thing to be informed about and to be competent with firearms or to be prepared to survive an unlikely scenario?
Meh, depends if you equate being pointless to being bad.

Would it be bad to buy plane tickets and a hotel room in Detroit for wild card weekend in case the Saints manage to make it to the playoffs this year despite 1000/1 odds? Well, depends how much money you have laying around.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's a lot like when a Hurricane is on the way. Everyone rushes to do what they should have handled weeks or months prior.

Gun ownership has never been a liberal or conservative thing. Many American own guns for various reasons. In my old home town, it was mostly law enforcement, ex military, or hunters.

I think the idea of a societal collapse has been in the corners of the world for years. I mean, we have movies based on the premise. The Walking Dead is an extremely popular show. Also, don't forget that many "liberals" / "hipsters" are big into urban farming, having their own chickens, etc. So, they're likely more interested in living off the land and how to handle stuff.

It's interesting, if society ever took a nose dive, the cities will be the first to fall. Too many people, not enough resources. If you live out in the woods/fields, you're probably golden.

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
I'm assuming you left out a word?
I had to re-read it, as well. He left out a comma, actually.

As in: 'my african-american, never touched a gun in her life, doesn't ever want our sons to have a play gun b/c Tamir Rice, et al wife'

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
I have two guns, a 12-gauge and a .357 pistol. They mostly sit in the closet and I pay them no mind. But I have to admit, I took both of them down for a look and located the ammo just in case.

These crazy redneck racists scare the hell out of me now that Trump's emboldened them. I'm the only black guy on my block and my wife is white. I may as well have a bullseye on my back to these people. God help me if one of them figures out I work for the newspaper.

OP
Denzien

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, depends if you equate being pointless to being bad.

Would it be bad to buy plane tickets and a hotel room in Detroit for wild card weekend in case the Saints manage to make it to the playoffs this year despite 1000/1 odds? Well, depends how much money you have laying around.
Pointless to own the firearm and to train with it or pointless to become familiar with one should the need arise?

Are we talking the same kind of pointless as buying that extended warranty for your TV from Best Buy? I would cite car insurance, but that's mandated by law (and gets used frequently. Not by me mind you - but by other drivers :hihi:)

Depending on your personal circumstances, the odds are definitely against needing to have either - even in the wake of the Trump panic. That's a given. Does that make their existence truly 'pointless'?

As far as the TV warranty and the Saints playoff example...those have a finite usefulness or lifetime. Are you suggesting that after 4 years these people will no longer feel the need to own a firearm and that any perceived danger today will be totally erased? (I just realized this might sound like I'm trying to bait a specific response - I'm not. If that is your opinion, then that's your opinion)

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Knee jerk reaction was the fact that you could find ammo anywhere after the 2008 election. There was a backlog on both guns and ammo due to the thought that Obama was going to take all the guns.

Gun Shop Owner Links Ammo Shortage To Obama : NPR

Ammo hard to find as gun owners stock up - CNN.com

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure how wide spread it is -- but for those that are engaging, it's a knee jerk reaction.

Owning a firearm, IMO, only makes sense if you're going to actually be dedicated in training with it, and committed to keeping it safe and secure. Most people don't have that discipline.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom