Question Why was this play allowed to stand? (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Though this play took place a long time ago during the Jim Mora Sr years, I do remember it well. It is being included in a 'worst effort plays in all of sports' video on YouTube. It happened on October 23, 1994 when the Saints were playing the Rams in the Superdome. Yes, the Saints ended up winning the game, but there was never an explanation as to why this play was allowed to stand and make the game a lot closer than it needed to be in the waning moments of that game.

You can view the play beginning at the 6:18 mark and see what I'm talking about. But according to the rules this play should not have counted as I see it. :hm: (P.S.- Obviously I have far too much free time on my hands.)

Direct Link to Video

Mod edited to add direct link to video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked clean to me. Back in those days I think the ball had to be downed by a player in the end zone or it had to hit out of bounds. Am I wrong? The ball never bounced out of bounds and was never touch by a player. Live ball.

Today that would be a touchback. Back then, I don't think it was a bad call.

Today that would be a touchback. Back then, I don't think it was a bad call.
True, the rules back then did require the kicking team to down the football after kickoff or surround it and wait for an official to blow it dead. But you can clearly see the Rams offensive players coming onto the field as the kick returner was running past them. The rule of 'illegal participation' was definitely in the books back then (they usually just called it "too many men on the field"), and that should have called the touchdown back.

How did an entire crew of officials miss that call? :unsure:

Looked clean to me. Back in those days I think the ball had to be downed by a player in the end zone or it had to hit out of bounds. Am I wrong? The ball never bounced out of bounds and was never touch by a player. Live ball.
But look at the Rams players coming onto the field during the play. That is a penalty and should make the touchdown invalid.

The video is now blocked. If this is the Robert Bailey 106 yd punt return,the officials blew it. I give kudos to Bailey for knowing
the rule,but a flag should have been thrown when the 12th man on the Rams offensive team stepped onto the field. It should
have been Rams ball minus 10 yards where Bailey was at the time the extra man came onto the field.

The answer to the question is ref incompetence and lack of replay. The Rams probably had 20 players on the field, so even though the return was legal because the ball was not "downed" by the return team, every single ref should have thrown a flag for too many men on the field.

The answer to the question is ref incompetence and lack of replay. The Rams probably had 20 players on the field, so even though the return was legal because the ball was not "downed" by the return team, every single ref should have thrown a flag for too many men on the field.
Do ALL the officials have to reside in Los Angeles? :hihi:

I’d love to see an “all 22” for that play. On the limited views the broadcast provided, you could see the majority of the Rams offense and Saints defense were on the field by the time Bailey crosses the 20. Should have been blown dead.
Heads up play by Bailey — but should have been blown dead.

I’d love to see an “all 22” for that play. On the limited views the broadcast provided, you could see the majority of the Rams offense and Saints defense were on the field by the time Bailey crosses the 20. Should have been blown dead.
Heads up play by Bailey — but should have been blown dead.
I watched the game live and remember the play. Most of the Rams offense had come on the field while the play was still going on. This goes to show the Saints have been victims to some of the most egregious ref mistakes in league history.

I remember when that happened. At that time I think I was just mad at our players for having their heads up their....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom