Why we are scouting "top 5" players (1 Viewer)

I'm pretty sure most if not all top 10 teams scout and sometimes even workout the top 10 ten prospects. In case one of them falls, you have to think long and hard to either take that player over your player, pass on the player, or use him for trade bait. You gotta know your options and be able to weigh them if necessary.

IMO, there is an excellent chance that we try to move up and trade with KC. Yesterday on Sirius one of the reporters from KC said that if J Long is not there at #5, KC will try to move down, and pick an OT later. Knowing that this draft has some good OTs, I speculate that we might be the team who is looking to move up. The difference on the value chart is 490 points........we give KC our 2nd round pick, and they will give us their 4th rd pick. So we'll have the 74th (3rd rd pick), and the 101th pick from KC.

If Ellis or Dorsey is still available, that would be great.......but at #5 anything is possible, so scouting the top 5 makes sense.....

IMO, there is an excellent chance that we try to move up and trade with KC. Yesterday on Sirius one of the reporters from KC said that if J Long is not there at #5, KC will try to move down, and pick an OT later. Knowing that this draft has some good OTs, I speculate that we might be the team who is looking to move up. The difference on the value chart is 490 points........we give KC our 2nd round pick, and they will give us their 4th rd pick. So we'll have the 74th (3rd rd pick), and the 101th pick from KC.

If Ellis or Dorsey is still available, that would be great.......but at #5 anything is possible, so scouting the top 5 makes sense.....

That's a very good call. We can get up to #5 overall with our 2nd rounder and KC will likely still have their pick of Otah and Chris Williams at #10 overall. There's also an outside chance Clady falls (and the possibility that KC can trade back up to like #7 to take Clady for the cost of a 3rd rounder, giving them a net gain of turning their 3rd into our 2nd).

I would hope that KC would take Stinch, our 1st, and 3rd to move up but that is probably wishful thinking.

They're going to end up with a stud and so we have the chance to get as much information on each of these guys as we can right now. We can tell them what to do, see how they do it, what their weaknesses are, etc. I think all this activity is less about who we may potentially draft, and more about getting ready to play the Falcons and gaming for their new prize acquisition. Just a thought.

I'm certain the Saints won't stretch their scouting Dept. and coaches that far for the reason stated.

They're scouting for draft purposes only. You never know when a player will fall or a trade up will be made.

It's just good long-term scouting. Belichick is known for scouting players knowing he won't draft them. Then when they're free agents we have some info on the player. Plus, as others said you never know who might fall.

I would hope that KC would take Stinch, our 1st, and 3rd to move up but that is probably wishful thinking.

Not really when you consider how KC likes our offensive lineman.

Also hoping someone takes a QB in the top 5.

Due diligence. Someone falls every year, you need to know why.

That's a great reason to do it that I never even thought of.

LSSpam's football intelligence is growing.. if it isn't stopped, it will consume the entire football world!! :worthy:

I'll add a minor thought,

If we don't send someone to watch, we have notified the other teams that we won't be interested in the player. So if they draft behind us, there will be no need to trade ahead of us. We have to send someone, practically.

Boy, I hope that made sense.

ddd

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom