Why we are scouting "top 5" players (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
We're sending scouts to see some players that really have almost no (not definitely no, almost no) shot of dropping to us. I think really what we're doing here is scouting the Falcons first round pick. They're going to end up with a stud and so we have the chance to get as much information on each of these guys as we can right now. We can tell them what to do, see how they do it, what their weaknesses are, etc. I think all this activity is less about who we may potentially draft, and more about getting ready to play the Falcons and gaming for their new prize acquisition. Just a thought.

This time of year, it's as much about disinformation as it is really looking at players we might want.

You never know. Leave no stone unturned. Someone always falls. Just look at brady quinn last year.

Also, McFadden had a pro day so the scouts could see his teammates. That really helped Marcus Monks' draft status when the scouts could ask about his knee.

either somebody falls or we move up, the latter I really would like to see if we like a guy enough(Dorsey,Ellis etc)...:9:

you never know who could fall...look when we took Will Smith he was a projected top 10 pick and we got him at like 20

Personally, I'd want a new FO if they didn't. They're paid a lot of money to be ready for any possible circumstance. NOBODY, has 100% knowledge of how the top of the draft will go. Someone will be available at 10 that we didn't think would be there and we have to know what their true value is. Without this type of research how do you way your options: whether to trade up, down, or who to pick at 10. I'm sure gaining knowledge of Atlanta's top pick plays no factor in the process.

Not only is it incase someone falls and to a much lesser extent in case you face them, it is incase they become a free agent or trade bait down the line. You want to have a full scouting report on them coming out of college. If they do become available, was there something you saw that you liked which was untapped at his previous team? This is not my opinion, but something I read from a pro scout or GM (can't remember which)

So is every top ten team scouting the top players then?...........I think the OP has a pretty valid point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom