Why we should get WR first. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Return Single Season Passing Yardage Record to New Orleans made a post on Facebook and it goes like this :
"Personally, I was (and still am) quite miffed that the Saints did not sign any Free Agent WR's while they still could. The way our defense is now, positions like CB, OLB, and Safety would merely be luxuries rather than difference makers, especially with the additions of Byrd and Bailey. The receiving corps, on the other hand, has been lacking for a while now. Drew has gotten about as much out of them as anyone can (behind a leaky o-line, no less - another unit in need of a difference-maker), but we don't know how much longer that will last and with the amount of money being invested in Brees, it only makes sense that the Saints Org. do everything they can to enable him to accomplish the things that made him such an invaluable investment in the first place. That includes putting quality players around him to compliment his abilities. Remember how much his stat line exploded just by Jimmy Graham getting fully acclimated into the Saints' offense.
As of now, Colston is the only WR on the roster who is tried and true, and word is that he has injury issues so severe that Coach Payton has hinted that he might not even be able to fully participate in training camp. Meachem is the other vet, but he, too, is past his prime and will return primarily as a blocker and role player.
With Brees at the latter half of his career, we need IMMEDIATE IMPACT at the WR position. We have plenty of "project" guys in Toon, Hill, Cadet (who is expected to take over some of Sproles' role) and possibly Morgan (depending on how he comes back from his injury) and we can't afford to wait 2-3 more years to develop yet another. Thus far, haven't even made very significant progress in developing the ones we have.
That said, I am all for making "bold moves" to put playmaking WR's around our franchise QB. Drew deserves it, and I'm sure there are a number of such WR's who deserve the opportunity to play with a team like the Saints with a QB like Drew. It would be win-win for both Drew and the WR, not to mention the team as a whole.
The last thing I want is to see Drew look like last year's Tom Brady (sub-30 TD total, sub-60 completion %, etc.) because he has no one to throw to and is getting sacked 40 times.
These new defensive additions only help in that they might be able to make more stops, which would mean more possessions for Drew, but when Drew has no one around him capable of making plays and no protection from his o-line, what good does that do?
I truly hope Payton & Loomis go the route of aggressively pursuing the "playmaker" WR, and will be gravely disappointed if they do not.
Just my personal opinion."

i was of the opinion to go Defense first pick but when he used the phrase "would merely be luxuries rather than difference makers" my thought started to change.
side note: someone explain this injury about Colston for me please.
https://www.facebook.com/breespassingrecord?fref=nf

Could care less if some jack nut on facebook is "miffed" about us not getting a WR and instead got Byrd and Champ. Byrd and champ are going to make the offense better! They are both turnover machines.

Plus who is to say we don't trade up with the Raiders and take Watkins or Evans because we addressed the safety position in free agency and we didn't feel that any of the rookie free safeties could make an impact but believe Watkins or Evans could? Once again, big iffs.

Also Colston, Graham and Stills is a good group.

Colston is ur hard nosed go to guy
Stills ur quick burner
Graham ur mismatch

Regardless, the Saints VERY soon are going to be a defensive team. With Byrd, KV, Keenan and Cam here for a long time our defense will be phenomenal.

The FB poster shouldn't be miffed about us not signing a WR via free agency. The group of free agent WRs were nothing special this past offseason. I rather us draft 2 WRs in this insanely talented WR lot in the draft.

#CooksandMoncreif

I would be good with Mosley, Shazier, Cooks or Lee in the first.

The Saints don t need a WR, although they should be planning for the future now and try to find a replacement for Colston. With that being said, what they could look for in the first round is an "offensive weapon" that can give them something close to what they lost letting Sproles go. It just so happen that this year the best offensive weapons available are WR.

Could care less if some jack nut on facebook is "miffed" about us not getting a WR and instead got Byrd and Champ. Byrd and champ are going to make the offense better! They are both turnover machines.

Plus who is to say we don't trade up with the Raiders and take Watkins or Evans because we addressed the safety position in free agency and we didn't feel that any of the rookie free safeties could make an impact but believe Watkins or Evans could? Once again, big iffs.

Also Colston, Graham and Stills is a good group.

Colston is ur hard nosed go to guy
Stills ur quick burner
Graham ur mismatch

Regardless, the Saints VERY soon are going to be a defensive team. With Byrd, KV, Keenan and Cam here for a long time our defense will be phenomenal.

well i hey i never said i agreed with everything he said, i love the idea we have an amazing secondary that is going to shut down and erase receivers, but i was agreeing that at this point if we do go defense again in first round would it really be a huge difference maker? wouldn't our defense that is , and i think most would agree, is much improved from a last years top 5 ( #2 passing ), only be increased by a little? Nick Toon and Joe Morgan haven't been their as much as I've wanted, morgan had some great moments in 2012 , specifically that play where he flipped a buccaneer in his cream sickle orange and ran in for a touch down, and toon? wheres he been? injured thats where ;(. i want some serious competition that either removes them from the equation or makes them step up to the next level.
in my head I'm still living in 09, that amazing pass offense, where meachem and henderson were in their prime, and shockey! lol. we've upgraded tight end but meachem has as I've seen others say , become a blocker and a role player. and i miss that deep threat henderson was, I'm looking at that play vs patriots where no one was in 20 yards of him, his crowning achievement, LOL. he could have goofed and dropped that ball.

well i hey i never said i agreed with everything he said, i love the idea we have an amazing secondary that is going to shut down and erase receivers, but i was agreeing that at this point if we do go defense again in first round would it really be a huge difference maker?

In 2008 the Saints took a WR in the first round, pick #27. Robert Meachem's rookie stats were 12 receptions for 289 yards. In 2002, the Saints took a WR in the first round, pick #13. Donte Stallworth's rookie stats were 42 receptions for 594 yards.

The last two first round defensive players taken by the Saints are Kenny Vaccaro and Cam Jordan.

So where does this idea come from that WR = huge difference maker, while D = meh?

In 2008 the Saints took a WR in the first round, pick #27. Robert Meachem's rookie stats were 12 receptions for 289 yards. In 2002, the Saints took a WR in the first round, pick #13. Donte Stallworth's rookie stats were 42 receptions for 594 yards.

The last two first round defensive players taken by the Saints are Kenny Vaccaro and Cam Jordan.

So where does this idea come from that WR = huge difference maker, while D = meh?
you forgot kenny stills…. oh right he wasn't a first round either .. hmmm
well hey half the reason I'm on this message board is to learn more about football! i like being surrounded by intelligent fans that can sway me one way or the other.

well i hey i never said i agreed with everything he said, i love the idea we have an amazing secondary that is going to shut down and erase receivers, but i was agreeing that at this point if we do go defense again in first round would it really be a huge difference maker? wouldn't our defense that is , and i think most would agree, is much improved from a last years top 5 ( #2 passing ), only be increased by a little? Nick Toon and Joe Morgan haven't been their as much as I've wanted, morgan had some great moments in 2012 , specifically that play where he flipped a buccaneer in his cream sickle orange and ran in for a touch down, and toon? wheres he been? injured thats where ;(. i want some serious competition that either removes them from the equation or makes them step up to the next level.
in my head I'm still living in 09, that amazing pass offense, where meachem and henderson were in their prime, and shockey! lol. we've upgraded tight end but meachem has as I've seen others say , become a blocker and a role player. and i miss that deep threat henderson was, I'm looking at that play vs patriots where no one was in 20 yards of him, his crowning achievement, LOL. he could have goofed and dropped that ball.

Oh ya i know man, my post wasn't directed towards u haha.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom