Why we won't draft a CB in the 1st round.... (1 Viewer)

Here's how i see it.

We can all name DT's, DE's, and LB's from many, many, Super Bowls. But how many CB's do you honestly know? It simply isn't as important as some other positions on the field.

I DONT' REMEMBER ALOT OF LINEMAN OTHER THEN THIS LAST SB. IS MOSTLY SKILLED PLAYERS THAT I REMEMBER YOUR COMMIT ABOUT LINEMAN IN GENERAL IS hard TO BACK UP. Lineman isn't a glamour position by any means. That is why u rarely if ever see MVPS for regular season or playoffs on Dline if ever. That doesn't mean that there is positon is any less important just get put on the back burner cause of exposure due to lineman are a unit vs. lbs, cbs and safeties can be seen clearly. This is just from observation u see back seven impacts on fumble recovery, ints and etc. You don't hear about people say a dline force a rb to change direction and etc. unless you are talking about sacks. I agree with you comment partially. I think the defense is a unit and dline and back seven work hand and hand. The years that the broncos had that fast lb corp and good secondary, they didn't get alot of sacks but were good top 12 def. or what about the Redskins of 05 and 07, didn't register alot of sacks but had a good back seven that made plays.

Yeah u say that but that 2 cases!!!

Aaron Ross was also 25 years old last year. He has already been a professional athlete too, because he played a couple years of minor league baseball. He had a head start on most rookies when it comes to the biggest transition: Having money and free time. Same thing with Terrence Newman for the Cowboys. They are two of the more productive first year cornerbacks to come out in a while and I believe their age and maturity played a big part in that. I say we pass on a CB early, maybe get one in the 2nd or 3rd, and seriously pursue Nmandi next offseason.

What about the guy that came out of Michigan a couple of years ago and chose to play baseball, stunk it up and the cowboys got his rights. He was only in the nfl for a couple of years. To me being older or playing another sport is neither here nor there. It is being on the right team at the right time(Colston) and being utilized properly.

How do you know this? I mean really?

McKenzie is getting old, well paid, and coming off a serious knee injury. Gay is a nickle CB/role player. David is just not any good and Young is a complete unknown. If any CB drafted at #10 doesn't start over 3 of the 4 guys on that list, then the Saints missed on back to back first round picks.

McKenzie is getting old, well paid, and coming off a serious knee injury. Gay is a nickle CB/role player. David is just not any good and Young is a complete unknown. If any CB drafted at #10 doesn't start over 3 of the 4 guys on that list, then the Saints missed on back to back first round picks.
Now we missed on Meachem? Nice.

What about the guy that came out of Michigan a couple of years ago and chose to play baseball, stunk it up and the cowboys got his rights. He was only in the nfl for a couple of years. To me being older or playing another sport is neither here nor there. It is being on the right team at the right time(Colston) and being utilized properly.

That's easy. He was a quarterback. Being away from the game as a QB is much more detrimental to a player's development that it is a CB. Another thing is Drew Henson played college football, then left for baseball. The other two I mentioned played a full 4 years in college AFTER playing baseball. Henson came back after not playing for 3 years. Huge difference.

You made a comparison on age and playing a different sport.

That's easy. He was a quarterback. Being away from the game as a QB is much more detrimental to a player's development that it is a CB. Another thing is Drew Henson played college football, then left for baseball. The other two I mentioned played a full 4 years in college AFTER playing baseball. Henson came back after not playing for 3 years. Huge difference.

Ross only started 1 year and that was his senior year but that's beside the point and you said he played minor league baseball was the reason for the reference. Age in my opinon is little overrated when it comes to talent on the field. Maturity yes, even football iq but when it comes to being an Player u r what you are. Players at every position have had success and failure at every position as rookies. I go back to my reference of Colston. The best players will start regardless of tenure in the NFL. Now being successful goes hand and hand with the overall talent around you in some cases.

Last edited:
. . . . . . . . because we're not very smart and we want our secondary to get completely burned this year??!!:hihi:

I happen to agree.

And i'm tired of stupid moves by the saints orginization. Its time that we stop being so "conservative." Rodgers-Cromartie or Mckelvin will be their. We best get them or the top two DT's, which probably won't be their.

Lets get after the program and win.

I DONT' REMEMBER ALOT OF LINEMAN OTHER THEN THIS LAST SB. IS MOSTLY SKILLED PLAYERS THAT I REMEMBER YOUR COMMIT ABOUT LINEMAN IN GENERAL IS hard TO BACK UP. Lineman isn't a glamour position by any means. That is why u rarely if ever see MVPS for regular season or playoffs on Dline if ever. That doesn't mean that there is positon is any less important just get put on the back burner cause of exposure due to lineman are a unit vs. lbs, cbs and safeties can be seen clearly. This is just from observation u see back seven impacts on fumble recovery, ints and etc. You don't hear about people say a dline force a rb to change direction and etc. unless you are talking about sacks. I agree with you comment partially. I think the defense is a unit and dline and back seven work hand and hand. The years that the broncos had that fast lb corp and good secondary, they didn't get alot of sacks but were good top 12 def. or what about the Redskins of 05 and 07, didn't register alot of sacks but had a good back seven that made plays.

Not to be rude, but if you can't name people from the Steel Curtain, '86 Bears D, or the Purple People Eaters, you don't know much football history. These were amazing D's and I can't name one CB from any of these teams. Also, i never said DLmen were MVP's. Neither are CB's. My point is that other than a few CB's in recent memory (Deion & Champ) CB's tend to have a few really good years and a few not so good years. DT's and DE's tend to be dominant and stay dominant. Jayson Taylor has been sick for 12 years. Albert Haysnworth will be sick for many years. Corner's just don't play at that level of excellence for that many years in a row. This is why I believe the front 7 on D and the front 5 + QB are the most important positions. For example see the Pat's back to back Super Bowls.

I'm talking about the ERA of FREE AGENCY.

Not to be rude, but if you can't name people from the Steel Curtain, '86 Bears D, or the Purple People Eaters, you don't know much football history. These were amazing D's and I can't name one CB from any of these teams. Also, i never said DLmen were MVP's. Neither are CB's. My point is that other than a few CB's in recent memory (Deion & Champ) CB's tend to have a few really good years and a few not so good years. DT's and DE's tend to be dominant and stay dominant. Jayson Taylor has been sick for 12 years. Albert Haysnworth will be sick for many years. Corner's just don't play at that level of excellence for that many years in a row. This is why I believe the front 7 on D and the front 5 + QB are the most important positions. For example see the Pat's back to back Super Bowls.

Before FA yes you couldhave the best talent money can buy and win year in and year out. I guess me and you weren't on the same page. I do believe the the trenches is the core of a team but it doesn't stop there, you can't have good line and garbage on the back seven and vice versa. I might have said that in an earlier post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom