Why we won't draft a CB in the 1st round.... (1 Viewer)

And how old is Jason Craft and Mike Mckenzie??? They only have like two more years to go...

How about because none of the corners in the draft warrant the 10th pick? We can't afford to miss on this pick. BPA here we come! After this offseason, I feel better about that anyway.

When a guy like Cromartie will start over 3 of the 4 on your list, your argument doesn't measure up.

I remember back in Tulane Stadium, we used to talk the same way about Dave "which" Waymer did he go?

I do. Then Waymer was switched to safety, and I think his play improved considerably.

The age of craft and MM

Full Name: Jason Donell Andre Craft
Born: February 13, 1976 Denver, CO

Full Name: Michael Terrance McKenzie
Born: April 26, 1976 Miami, FL

Both will be 32 before the start of the season so, we need to address the issue at cb. Now i do like the Randall move but i'm still not sold on Jason David. He may have a bounce back year but he was torched last year. We will need to find another starter regardless. We haven't had a quality starter opposite of MM since brown and he wasn't great by any means but he was accountable. Like i said in a previous post if not this year we HAVE to do it next year so it is best while the picking is ripe, you got your choice of who you want this year.

I know we need another corner, but the problem is we need a #1 corner. We have nickel, dime, and young athlete corners covered. I'm not sure drafting a rookie will do much for us this year.

Last edited:
When a guy like Cromartie will start over 3 of the 4 on your list, your argument doesn't measure up.

I would argue that DRC is going to be pretty raw as a rookie. I think McKelvin and a few others are more pro ready.

I would argue that DRC is going to be pretty raw as a rookie. I think McKelvin and a few others are more pro ready.

Absolutly. I think if the FO goes corner, that means they are happy with how the rest of the team stacks up. They know that not only are corners huge gambles this high in the draft, but that none of these guys is that much better than the other corners available. Getting a DT would be huge, and if they can't, our OT's would be set for years by picking Ryan Clady to replace J. Stinchcomb.

It's a crap shoot just like any position

I know we need another corner, but the problem is we need a #1 corner. We have nickel, dime, and young athlete corners covered. I'm not sure drafting a rookie will do much for us.

Ross didn't start for the Giants but by the end of the season due to injury he was a starter. Throughout the season he was in intricate part of the defense. So youth is the issue but when you have Florence,Gay and etc. on the market and the only one who is consider bonafide,Samuel, looking to get paid. You have to do what u have to do. For some players the light comes on faster then others. In Ross's case, he was slowly given more of a role until he was there starter. Some are thrown into the fire and are good players from the jump.

Question, so what's the difference between starting a rookie guard and WR who EARNED there starting spots on the saints roster in 06 vs. starting a rookie cb??? Every spot has a learning curve so who's to say we don't draft a rookie that can come in an start an cb!!!!

I agree, it's possible. And believe me, i hope it happens. But, like your example with Ross, very good front 7 + average corners = very good defense. The Broncos proved a point as well. Poor front 7 + great corners = poor defense. This equation is written throughout NFL history.

We can all name DT's, DE's, and LB's from many, many, Super Bowls. But how many CB's do you honestly know? It simply isn't as important as some other positions on the field.

Ross didn't start for the Giants but by the end of the season due to injury he was a starter. Throughout the season he was in intricate part of the defense. So youth is the issue but when you have Florence,Gay and etc. on the market and the only one who is consider bonafide,Samuel, looking to get paid. You have to do what u have to do. For some players the light comes on faster then others. In Ross's case, he was slowly given more of a role until he was there starter. Some are thrown into the fire and are good players from the jump.

Question, so what's the difference between starting a rookie guard and WR who EARNED there starting spots on the saints roster in 06 vs. starting a rookie cb??? Every spot has a learning curve so who's to say we don't draft a rookie that can come in an start an cb!!!!

Aaron Ross was also 25 years old last year. He has already been a professional athlete too, because he played a couple years of minor league baseball. He had a head start on most rookies when it comes to the biggest transition: Having money and free time. Same thing with Terrence Newman for the Cowboys. They are two of the more productive first year cornerbacks to come out in a while and I believe their age and maturity played a big part in that. I say we pass on a CB early, maybe get one in the 2nd or 3rd, and seriously pursue Nmandi next offseason.

. . . . . . . . because we're not very smart and we want our secondary to get completely burned this year??!!
A nice concise answer to the question originally posed in the title of the thread ... and unfortunately, an answer that is hard to argue with. This team has many needs but it's so heartbreaking to see these guys get burnt every year. MM may be back but for how long and at what level given his injury? Right now, who can be relied on? Those are rhetorical questions because, like mony_b22 said, it's all a crap shoot anyway. It's not like a 1st rd draft pick can be relied on either. It's just so freaking frustrating watching these guys in that particular position who all could be nicknamed "Toast".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom