Why white people keep calling the cops on black Americans (2 Viewers)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good article. Not sure if EE or PDB is best place for this. Mods please move if necessary.

The video Flip posted in the Fathers thread reminded me of this article. My girlfriend's brother told his son who was just going to college that there may be times dealing with the police that you have to choose between your dignity and your life. And as hard as it is to swallow ALWAYS choose your life.

This is ridiculous. The BBQ, The Air BnB, the Yale common room, reading a book

I'm just reading about the swimming pool one today. The cops weren't called but they were threatened with calling the cops
==================================================================================================================
Tina, a black woman from Milwaukee, was on a road trip with her eldest son when she had an unpleasant encounter with the police of a sort that’s all too common.

After stopping to fuel up the car, she realized that she hadn’t gotten the correct change from the station attendant. The attendant angrily disagreed.

“I said, “Let’s not argue with the man. Let’s go get the police,” Tina, whose name has been changed to protect her confidentiality, told me. ”When the police came, instead of him talking to me like I’m talking to you — respectfully — he got up in my face and told me to ‘shut up.’” When Tina told the police officer that he shouldn’t address her that way, he arrested Tina and her son.

The result seems drastic. But after hundreds of conversations in communities across the country that I conducted for my research on policing in America, I’ve learned that such testimonies are a common experience for black Americans, no matter the locality. I am a political scientist who studies how Americans understand government through their direct experience of it, which, for many, is interacting with the police. The gulf between how black America and white America experience the police is vast.

Many other Americans are waking up to the reality that white people have the power to turn minor disputes, or their own anxiety, into interventions by the police (which is hardly news in the black community).

Such incidents keep making news, including a white student at Yale calling police officers on a black student who had nodded off in a common area and a white woman in Oakland calling the police on a black family barbecuing in a part of a park that allowed barbecuing. (Three years ago at Yale, a campus police officer pulled a gun on a black student — the son of a prominent New York Times columnist — who was casually walking through campus.)

Many people are rightly questioning why black people going about their business are aggressively policed for selling loose cigarettes, barbecuing, sipping a latte, and simply existing in public spaces.....................

Whites calling the police have an altogether different experience. They do not endure long response times, treatment that negates their victimization, or the slide from victim to suspect in the eyes of the police. They may even gain a sense of personal efficacy in seeing the state perform its basic function of protecting them.

As Charles Epp and his colleagues wrote in their book Pulled Over, which grew out of a large representative survey analysis of white and black drivers, even when whites have involuntary contact with police, they overwhelmingly experience the police as helpful, benevolent, fair, and efficient problem solvers.

This mismatch in experience equates to powerful incentives for people of one racial group to call the police on others who could be seen as breaching “white space.” It’s also a powerful disincentive for black people to call the police in almost any situation except when their lives depend on it........................

Why white people keep calling the cops on black Americans

OP
OP
Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just read this one today
============================================================================================================================
Carle Wheeler was doing what one does on a vacation in the sun, hanging with her 5-year-old daughter in the pool of the hotel in Pasadena, Calif., where they were staying, when a man approached them.

The man, who is white, asked Wheeler and her daughter, who are black, if they had showered before getting into the pool, Wheeler wrote on her Facebook page, “because people carry diseases into the pools and he doesn’t want the health department to shut the pool down.”

The two moved to the other end of the pool, but he approached again and she confronted him on what appeared to be “blatant racism,” she said. He claimed he worked for the health department when she asked, Wheeler said in an interview with The Washington Post.

“I let him know that being black is not a disease and showering would not wash the BLACK off our skin,” Wheeler, 33, a software engineer and single mother from Dallas, wrote on her Facebook page. “I think it’s awful that ANY man would think it’s okay to essentially ask a woman and a little girl if we took off our clothes and scrubbed our naked bodies before getting into a hotel swimming pool.”..................

The video of the confrontation at Wheeler’s hotel begins as she and the man, who has not been identified, discuss the conflict with a woman who works at the hotel, the Westin.

“I simply asked them if they showered,” the man tells the hotel employee. “Because that’s part of the rules. And I don’t know about you guys, but I’m tired of getting into pools that people consider baths.”

“You didn’t ask anyone else,” Wheeler retorts in the video. She told The Post that there were other people in the pool area, including a white couple that had been in the hot tub nearby, whom the man had not approached.

As they were talking to the hotel employee, the man continued to taunt her young daughter, Wheeler said. The video shows the little girl being led away by a relative as the man says, “It’s only a shower, young lady. Don’t worry.” Wheeler said the man said the phrase to her daughter twice.

A hotel manager arrives and threatens to call the police, before asking the man to leave. Wheeler said she was upset that the manager let the man walk away while asking her to step to the side to talk to him, though the manager did say on the video that he planned to talk to the man later.......................................

A black woman was at the pool on vacation. A white man asked whether she showered before swimming.

OP
OP
Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's not just America.

This one hits home for me.

Just a few months ago I was on vacation in the mountains in Virginia. Beautiful resort and about half a mile away there was a lake.

It was a gorgeous day and I thought It would nice to sit and read by the lake. So I drive down and sit on one of the benches there and start to read.

Now it was a gorgeous day looking at it from inside and walking from the unit to the car, but it got pretty cold in April mountain air to be out in it for long

The parking lot overlooks the lake, so I go back to my car and start reading there.

It's not very crowded but I get loos from the few people walking by including a white couple in their car doing exactly what I was doing - reading their books

Until I read this article I wouldn't have thought of the police being called in that situation.

I have no idea how I would have handle it if the cops arrived
====================================================================================================================

After the blue and red police lights flashed behind his car, Louizandre Dauphin figured he may have added another “prohibited” item to the list of things you can’t do while black: Reading.

Dauphin, 33, a former high school English teacher, had decided to relax last week with a few books at Stonehaven Wharf, a parking lot for fishing boats that’s frequented by tourists to the Canadian province of New Brunswick. He sat inside his Volkswagen Golf hatchback watching the waves and poring over “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis and another book by theologian Timothy Keller.

As he drove home afterward, Dauphin recounted on Instagram, an officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police pulled him over, saying someone nearby had called authorities “because … a suspicious black man in a white car was parked at the Wharf for a couple hours. My response, Really? I was just reading a book.”

He snapped two photos that he’d later use for the Instagram post, which says Canada experiences some of the same racial tension that has made headlines in the United States.

In the post, he tells his countrymen “not to get too comfortable on their high horses.” He hashtagged the post #DangerousNegro.

Dauphin, the director of the department of parks, recreation and tourism in the small New Brunswick town of Bathurst, told The Washington Post that he didn’t feel threatened by the officer, who seemed bemused about the situation before letting Dauphin go without incident. Still, he said, the encounter and a handful of previous ones show “we’re not immune to situations like this.”..................

‘I was just reading a book’: Canadian cops called on black man reading C.S. Lewis in his car

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I used to answer 911 calls for a living. A suspicious persons call about a black male walking down the street minding his own business is a daily occurrence.

When I politely inform the caller that walking down the street is not a crime nor is it suspicious, they always revert to the same 2 excuses: "he was pulling on car door handles" or "he was looking in Windows of houses." Well....that likely isn't true but those are crimes so we have to go harass this poor person who is probably just walking home from school or work.

Every day, multiple times a day.

OP
OP
Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I used to answer 911 calls for a living. A suspicious persons call about a black male walking down the street minding his own business is a daily occurrence.

When I politely inform the caller that walking down the street is not a crime nor is it suspicious, they always revert to the same 2 excuses: "he was pulling on car door handles" or "he was looking in Windows of houses." Well....that likely isn't true but those are crimes so we have to go harass this poor person who is probably just walking home from school or work.

Every day, multiple times a day.
Did you ever ask - if that were really true why wouldn't you say that up front? "there's a suspicious black man looking in windows"

The article touches on this but the white people making these call are never taking to task for doing it. The BBQ lady is the closest I've seen but even that was from a passerby and not from the cops

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
I have had interesting personal experiences with this sort of stuff. I have mentioned before that while my dad is black I have very light skin. (Think Jimmy Graham or Sinbad, or that Meghan Markle).

At a casual glance I don't give folks much reason to "suspect" (sorry that's probably a poor choice of words but I can't come up with a better one ATM) that I'm anything other than average full-on white guy - UNLESS I happen to be hanging out with somebody who's black. People giving us a wide berth in passing at the mall, little old ladies clutching their purses tighter, etc. But if I'm with my family or white friends from work, I don't see those things, at all.

I definitely have more access in certain aspects of life just because my skin happens to be lighter than other people who might happen to have a similar genetic makeup. There's more than a little survivor's guilt there on my part. And in the past, a fair amount of resentment from darker-skinned black friends that I've only recently begun to realize was not aimed at me specifically but the situation in general.

I know this sounds strange given the current climate, but I've perceived some pretty drastic improvements in all this stuff over my life. It's hard to see at the moment because of well, circumstances, but even now I feel like things are better than they were when I was a kid. YMMV of course

GW93

Original
Reaction score
It's not just America.

This one hits home for me.

Just a few months ago I was on vacation in the mountains in Virginia. Beautiful resort and about half a mile away there was a lake.

It was a gorgeous day and I thought It would nice to sit and read by the lake. So I drive down and sit on one of the benches there and start to read.

Now it was a gorgeous day looking at it from inside and walking from the unit to the car, but it got pretty cold in April mountain air to be out in it for long

The parking lot overlooks the lake, so I go back to my car and start reading there.

It's not very crowded but I get loos from the few people walking by including a white couple in their car doing exactly what I was doing - reading their books

Until I read this article I wouldn't have thought of the police being called in that situation.

I have no idea how I would have handle it if the cops arrived
====================================================================================================================

After the blue and red police lights flashed behind his car, Louizandre Dauphin figured he may have added another “prohibited” item to the list of things you can’t do while black: Reading.

Dauphin, 33, a former high school English teacher, had decided to relax last week with a few books at Stonehaven Wharf, a parking lot for fishing boats that’s frequented by tourists to the Canadian province of New Brunswick. He sat inside his Volkswagen Golf hatchback watching the waves and poring over “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis and another book by theologian Timothy Keller.

As he drove home afterward, Dauphin recounted on Instagram, an officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police pulled him over, saying someone nearby had called authorities “because … a suspicious black man in a white car was parked at the Wharf for a couple hours. My response, Really? I was just reading a book.”

He snapped two photos that he’d later use for the Instagram post, which says Canada experiences some of the same racial tension that has made headlines in the United States.

In the post, he tells his countrymen “not to get too comfortable on their high horses.” He hashtagged the post #DangerousNegro.

Dauphin, the director of the department of parks, recreation and tourism in the small New Brunswick town of Bathurst, told The Washington Post that he didn’t feel threatened by the officer, who seemed bemused about the situation before letting Dauphin go without incident. Still, he said, the encounter and a handful of previous ones show “we’re not immune to situations like this.”..................

‘I was just reading a book’: Canadian cops called on black man reading C.S. Lewis in his car
What's all that aboot?

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just read this one today
============================================================================================================================
Carle Wheeler was doing what one does on a vacation in the sun, hanging with her 5-year-old daughter in the pool of the hotel in Pasadena, Calif., where they were staying, when a man approached them.

The man, who is white, asked Wheeler and her daughter, who are black, if they had showered before getting into the pool, Wheeler wrote on her Facebook page, “because people carry diseases into the pools and he doesn’t want the health department to shut the pool down.”

The two moved to the other end of the pool, but he approached again and she confronted him on what appeared to be “blatant racism,” she said. He claimed he worked for the health department when she asked, Wheeler said in an interview with The Washington Post.

“I let him know that being black is not a disease and showering would not wash the BLACK off our skin,” Wheeler, 33, a software engineer and single mother from Dallas, wrote on her Facebook page. “I think it’s awful that ANY man would think it’s okay to essentially ask a woman and a little girl if we took off our clothes and scrubbed our naked bodies before getting into a hotel swimming pool.”..................

The video of the confrontation at Wheeler’s hotel begins as she and the man, who has not been identified, discuss the conflict with a woman who works at the hotel, the Westin.

“I simply asked them if they showered,” the man tells the hotel employee. “Because that’s part of the rules. And I don’t know about you guys, but I’m tired of getting into pools that people consider baths.”

“You didn’t ask anyone else,” Wheeler retorts in the video. She told The Post that there were other people in the pool area, including a white couple that had been in the hot tub nearby, whom the man had not approached.

As they were talking to the hotel employee, the man continued to taunt her young daughter, Wheeler said. The video shows the little girl being led away by a relative as the man says, “It’s only a shower, young lady. Don’t worry.” Wheeler said the man said the phrase to her daughter twice.

A hotel manager arrives and threatens to call the police, before asking the man to leave. Wheeler said she was upset that the manager let the man walk away while asking her to step to the side to talk to him, though the manager did say on the video that he planned to talk to the man later.......................................

A black woman was at the pool on vacation. A white man asked whether she showered before swimming.
The overall assessment seems right, he was picking on them for being black.. or women.. and didn't ask anyone else. But, the whole showering before going into the pool is a rule. At least somewhat recently showered. It's not because you need to rinse off disease. It's because all that sweat on you weakens the chemicals in the pool, so it doesn't do as good of a job. At least that's how I understand it.

But, I guess some advocate a shower with soap, to remove fecal matter as well.. Again, how recently showered?

Before Swimming, Be Sure to Shower

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The only way to get the rest of the country on the side of Black Americans is to film all of their interactions with cops, and what lead up to it, and stay as super nice and calm as possible, and see the negative reactions towards them. They have to have every other "whatabout" removed. Sadly, we don't walk around recording every second of our lives. It's usually when stuff gets too far.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
I have had interesting personal experiences with this sort of stuff. I have mentioned before that while my dad is black I have very light skin. (Think Jimmy Graham or Sinbad, or that Meghan Markle).

At a casual glance I don't give folks much reason to "suspect" (sorry that's probably a poor choice of words but I can't come up with a better one ATM) that I'm anything other than average full-on white guy - UNLESS I happen to be hanging out with somebody who's black. People giving us a wide berth in passing at the mall, little old ladies clutching their purses tighter, etc. But if I'm with my family or white friends from work, I don't see those things, at all.

I definitely have more access in certain aspects of life just because my skin happens to be lighter than other people who might happen to have a similar genetic makeup. There's more than a little survivor's guilt there on my part. And in the past, a fair amount of resentment from darker-skinned black friends that I've only recently begun to realize was not aimed at me specifically but the situation in general.

I know this sounds strange given the current climate, but I've perceived some pretty drastic improvements in all this stuff over my life. It's hard to see at the moment because of well, circumstances, but even now I feel like things are better than they were when I was a kid. YMMV of course
You could use "think" instead of "suspect." You probably would not have even needed to explain your use of that term.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
random thoughts:
1: post 9/11 "if you see something say something" - i think it has ramped up overall paranoia, even though we are probably the safest we've ever been ever
2: a nation of Gladys Kravitzes: clickbait stories & "nextdoor" online forums traffic in sensational/danger just down the street "SUSPICIOUS" people stories - again, we're probably safer than ever but feel more vulnerable and exposed
3: Trump giving license to bad impulses that cascaded from resentment of Obama's presidency (Ta-Neishi Coates has some strong writing on this The First White President)
4: white people feeling they face discrimination b/c white - View: https://www.npr.org/2017/10/24/559604836/majority-of-white-americans-think-theyre-discriminated-against
)
and, then...
5: for real racist cops FBI warned of white supremacists in law enforcement 10 years ago. Has anything changed?
View: https://www.npr.org/2017/08/13/543259499/a-reformed-white-nationalist-speaks-out-on-charlottesville

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The only way to get the rest of the country on the side of Black Americans is to film all of their interactions with cops, and what lead up to it, and stay as super nice and calm as possible, and see the negative reactions towards them. They have to have every other "whatabout" removed. Sadly, we don't walk around recording every second of our lives. It's usually when stuff gets too far.
not sure that would work- if you are 'prejudiced' about blacks committing crime and you assume cops are in the right - cop videos will just reinforce both narratives

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Back in 1989 i was at friends house in Spanish Oaks on the west bank. Some lady (white) called the cops on my friends brother (18, white) because of someone parking and leaving tire tracks in front of her house between the side walk and the street. After the white JP realized he wasn't going to intimidate the white kid, who didn't even have a drivers license and no car, he just cuffed and took him away out of the door way to his own home.

its not a white/black thing, its jerk cop thing.

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
careful what you wish for, neither black, nor white america, is as nice and without sin as they would like us all to believe. but yes, make them wear the cameras, and show the world both the idiot cops, and the idiot public.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Back in 1989 i was at friends house in Spanish Oaks on the west bank. Some lady (white) called the cops on my friends brother (18, white) because of someone parking and leaving tire tracks in front of her house between the side walk and the street. After the white JP realized he wasn't going to intimidate the white kid, who didn't even have a drivers license and no car, he just cuffed and took him away out of the door way to his own home.

its not a white/black thing, its jerk cop thing.
this anecdote proves/supports nothing

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
careful what you wish for, neither black, nor white america, is as nice and without sin as they would like us all to believe. but yes, make them wear the cameras, and show the world both the idiot cops, and the idiot public.
Sure, cops can be dicks to white people as well but they are disproportionately more dickish to black and minority citizens and a litany of statistics and research has backed this up.

Trying to frame and treat this simply as a universal problem jumps over the fact that there are additional issues when policing these particular subsets of the population. Certainly there are reforms that are needed and would be beneficial to the population as a whole, but in addition to that there has to be a long hard look and focus on what needs to be done to deal with this particular problem which is going to require tailored solutions unique to the problem itself of police prejudice toward minorities.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)