Why white people keep calling the cops on black Americans

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Sticky Post
Good article. Not sure if EE or PDB is best place for this. Mods please move if necessary.

The video Flip posted in the Fathers thread reminded me of this article. My girlfriend's brother told his son who was just going to college that there may be times dealing with the police that you have to choose between your dignity and your life. And as hard as it is to swallow ALWAYS choose your life.

This is ridiculous. The BBQ, The Air BnB, the Yale common room, reading a book

I'm just reading about the swimming pool one today. The cops weren't called but they were threatened with calling the cops
==================================================================================================================
Tina, a black woman from Milwaukee, was on a road trip with her eldest son when she had an unpleasant encounter with the police of a sort that’s all too common.

After stopping to fuel up the car, she realized that she hadn’t gotten the correct change from the station attendant. The attendant angrily disagreed.

“I said, “Let’s not argue with the man. Let’s go get the police,” Tina, whose name has been changed to protect her confidentiality, told me. ”When the police came, instead of him talking to me like I’m talking to you — respectfully — he got up in my face and told me to ‘shut up.’” When Tina told the police officer that he shouldn’t address her that way, he arrested Tina and her son.

The result seems drastic. But after hundreds of conversations in communities across the country that I conducted for my research on policing in America, I’ve learned that such testimonies are a common experience for black Americans, no matter the locality. I am a political scientist who studies how Americans understand government through their direct experience of it, which, for many, is interacting with the police. The gulf between how black America and white America experience the police is vast.

Many other Americans are waking up to the reality that white people have the power to turn minor disputes, or their own anxiety, into interventions by the police (which is hardly news in the black community).

Such incidents keep making news, including a white student at Yale calling police officers on a black student who had nodded off in a common area and a white woman in Oakland calling the police on a black family barbecuing in a part of a park that allowed barbecuing. (Three years ago at Yale, a campus police officer pulled a gun on a black student — the son of a prominent New York Times columnist — who was casually walking through campus.)

Many people are rightly questioning why black people going about their business are aggressively policed for selling loose cigarettes, barbecuing, sipping a latte, and simply existing in public spaces.....................

Whites calling the police have an altogether different experience. They do not endure long response times, treatment that negates their victimization, or the slide from victim to suspect in the eyes of the police. They may even gain a sense of personal efficacy in seeing the state perform its basic function of protecting them.

As Charles Epp and his colleagues wrote in their book Pulled Over, which grew out of a large representative survey analysis of white and black drivers, even when whites have involuntary contact with police, they overwhelmingly experience the police as helpful, benevolent, fair, and efficient problem solvers.

This mismatch in experience equates to powerful incentives for people of one racial group to call the police on others who could be seen as breaching “white space.” It’s also a powerful disincentive for black people to call the police in almost any situation except when their lives depend on it........................

Why white people keep calling the cops on black Americans

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I'll complicate that somewhat, just using something from my experience. I'm not saying it's more pervasive, but it is an area that exists similar to what you describe.

A facility that I worked at looked around and realized - and worked with research institutes and university researchers - that 'hey, there's too many black kids in here.' It was definitely institutional. I worked with these people and I wouldn't say they were racist. But the understood that they worked within a system that was obviously racist and they wanted to do something about it. And they took some measures - including extreme ones, like removing themselves from state financial support because the state didn't like what they were doing.

I cannot look at these people and say, "Hey, you are institutionally racist." I don't know how that's different, qualitatively even with that qualifier, from "Hey, you're a racist."

I think it's fair to say that they participated in a racist institution. But they - from the inside - broke a lot of things that were racist about it. It came from the inside. It came from people within that system who became aware of what they'd been immersed in. And they realized that the only way they were going to make changes was by acknowledging it. And it resulted in real, demonstrative, substantial change.

this is "sly" racism. It's subtle, insofar as it's not something most white people come into contact with. It was hidden, largely. But the people in that system weren't all racist - some *definitely* were. But if you've been made aware or become aware of the pervasive racism that is inextricably linked to your work, your experience and then do something about it - I don't think it's reasonable to label them as 'racist.'

What ends up happening, then, is that we are all racist. The educational institution has been and can be and, many times, is racist. Does that make every teacher racist? I think that net gets cast far too wide.

I don't know if that's what you mean, but my ultimate point is that change can be made in systems with people who become aware and do something and I don't think that makes them racist on an individual level. Even within an institution. Moreover, I don't disagree that these types of racism are the most insidious and the most impactful, many of which are sociocultural holdovers from hundreds of years ago.
I had a real "come to Gaia moment" in grad school in relation to gender norms
we were having a discussion on composition and i chimed in the 'best' ways to do things
a friend/colleague challenged me about how exclusionary i was being (she didn't say "phallocentric" but she didn't have to
anyway, i bristled a bit - i mean, who could be more woke than me??? - and rationalized this and that
but eventually i had to check myself and began to realize i was sexist as **** several areas

i'm very glad she called my **** out -- and i'm glad we were in an environment were she (or anyone else) was encouraged to

RazorSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Guido is really just questioning whether it’s ok to be a dancer. His denial causes him to rationalize dancer into white. It’s easier that way.
I think Guido hates himself and he projects his own insecurities onto his race.

Could be wrong though. I mean we're really just posting on a message board dedicated to a child's game, so let's not take things too seriously. Some of us post a lot though. A whole lot.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I think Guido hates himself and he projects his own insecurities onto his race.

Could be wrong though. I mean we're really just posting on a message board dedicated to a child's game, so let's not take things too seriously. Some of us post a lot though. A whole lot.
dude, it's getting unhealthy now

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Ratings
i mean i get it
there's been 3 posters i can think of that drive me up a tree (one hasn't posted in a long while, one only posts on rare occasion, and the other is a mostly regular poster) -i just had to stop interacting with them, but they would consistently frustrate the **** out of me
Razor has made it clear on several occasions that i'm not his favorite SR member
but it's not my first tango with a Modern Dance hater

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Ratings
Hi, Saintmaniac. Are you familiar with the cartoon show Ren & Stimpy? Did you see the episode with the "happy helmet" where Ren finally took a hammer and bashed it to pieces? Ren then thanked Stimpy because the helmet made him realize he LIKED being angry.

I have come to the conclusion that sometimes on these "outrage" threads, there are people who LIKE being outraged and they don't like being told they shouldn't be.

Nice talking with you SM, as always.
Hello DadsDream,
I'm very familiar with Ren & Stimpy. One of my favorites from back in the day. I hated to see it go. I remember that episode too. It was great. Thanks for that memory. However, I don't at all see the relevance to what I posted or anything that's going on in this thread. Are you saying that us black folks see racism because we like being being victims of it? Because otherwise, you didn't address my assessment of your original example. I think I might be able to speak for others when I say that I would be so happy if I could go 2 weeks without seeing another instance where a random white person isn't shown on camera calling the police on a black person just trying to live their life.

Ah, damn! Too late, another white person called the police on a black person for watching his son play soccer.
If these damn planes would only stop crashing.......

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Ratings
i mean i get it
there's been 3 posters i can think of that drive me up a tree (one hasn't posted in a long while, one only posts on rare occasion, and the other is a mostly regular poster) -i just had to stop interacting with them, but they would consistently frustrate the **** out of me
Razor has made it clear on several occasions that i'm not his favorite SR member
It gets better.

Most saltatophobes are just closeted dancers themselves. Seeing proud dancing men like you just makes them think back to that time as a child when they saw Michael Flatley on TV and started dancing. It was the first time their father hit them, but not the last.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Ratings
It gets better.

Most saltatophobes are just closeted dancers themselves. Seeing proud dancing men like you just makes them think back to that time as a child when they saw Michael Flatley on TV and started dancing. It was the first time their father hit them, but not the last.
When Thomas Mann novels spring to life

RazorSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
i mean i get it
A lot of people have left. The EE used to be "fun", relatively friendly banter. Now it's Tumblr, except the keyboard activists are middle-aged males instead of teenage girls. There is no better example than this thread. As far as a single comment or post, I think the blue ribbon goes to your comment wondering if it's ok to be white. A comment so ridiculous, so racist, that I feel like it should be brought up periodically as a reminder to everyone what progressivism has become. So if you were wondering, that's why I still talk about it.

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
A lot of people have left. The EE used to be "fun", relatively friendly banter.
I think it is. But like you noted in the comedians thread, it's subjective, right?

Maybe if you think the changes are this extreme, so as to be 'unfun' consider, for a moment, some of that might not be the board? :shrug:

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Ratings
A lot of people have left. The EE used to be "fun", relatively friendly banter. Now it's Tumblr, except the keyboard activists are middle-aged males instead of teenage girls. There is no better example than this thread. As far as a single comment or post, I think the blue ribbon goes to your comment wondering if it's ok to be white. A comment so ridiculous, so racist, that I feel like it should be brought up periodically as a reminder to everyone what progressivism has become. So if you were wondering, that's why I still talk about it.
yes, you think i'm a race traitor
we've established that

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Donate

Support Saintsreport.com

Please help us with our site operating expenses and development costs!
Earned
US $6,764.67
This donation drive ends in

Recent Donations

BlackAndGold
$20.00
dome patrol
$50.00
SaintsFan627
$5.00
Noble Saint
$20.00