Why white people keep calling the cops on black Americans (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Good article. Not sure if EE or PDB is best place for this. Mods please move if necessary.

The video Flip posted in the Fathers thread reminded me of this article. My girlfriend's brother told his son who was just going to college that there may be times dealing with the police that you have to choose between your dignity and your life. And as hard as it is to swallow ALWAYS choose your life.

This is ridiculous. The BBQ, The Air BnB, the Yale common room, reading a book

I'm just reading about the swimming pool one today. The cops weren't called but they were threatened with calling the cops
==================================================================================================================
Tina, a black woman from Milwaukee, was on a road trip with her eldest son when she had an unpleasant encounter with the police of a sort that’s all too common.

After stopping to fuel up the car, she realized that she hadn’t gotten the correct change from the station attendant. The attendant angrily disagreed.

“I said, “Let’s not argue with the man. Let’s go get the police,” Tina, whose name has been changed to protect her confidentiality, told me. ”When the police came, instead of him talking to me like I’m talking to you — respectfully — he got up in my face and told me to ‘shut up.’” When Tina told the police officer that he shouldn’t address her that way, he arrested Tina and her son.

The result seems drastic. But after hundreds of conversations in communities across the country that I conducted for my research on policing in America, I’ve learned that such testimonies are a common experience for black Americans, no matter the locality. I am a political scientist who studies how Americans understand government through their direct experience of it, which, for many, is interacting with the police. The gulf between how black America and white America experience the police is vast.

Many other Americans are waking up to the reality that white people have the power to turn minor disputes, or their own anxiety, into interventions by the police (which is hardly news in the black community).

Such incidents keep making news, including a white student at Yale calling police officers on a black student who had nodded off in a common area and a white woman in Oakland calling the police on a black family barbecuing in a part of a park that allowed barbecuing. (Three years ago at Yale, a campus police officer pulled a gun on a black student — the son of a prominent New York Times columnist — who was casually walking through campus.)

Many people are rightly questioning why black people going about their business are aggressively policed for selling loose cigarettes, barbecuing, sipping a latte, and simply existing in public spaces.....................

Whites calling the police have an altogether different experience. They do not endure long response times, treatment that negates their victimization, or the slide from victim to suspect in the eyes of the police. They may even gain a sense of personal efficacy in seeing the state perform its basic function of protecting them.

As Charles Epp and his colleagues wrote in their book Pulled Over, which grew out of a large representative survey analysis of white and black drivers, even when whites have involuntary contact with police, they overwhelmingly experience the police as helpful, benevolent, fair, and efficient problem solvers.

This mismatch in experience equates to powerful incentives for people of one racial group to call the police on others who could be seen as breaching “white space.” It’s also a powerful disincentive for black people to call the police in almost any situation except when their lives depend on it........................

Why white people keep calling the cops on black Americans

Reaction score
..not a betting man, but i'd wager that Mr. Massey is about to seriously enjoy 2019..

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/doubletree-portland-fires-2-over-racial-profiling/1678980404

.. ftr, those 2 needed to go.. in this day and age ??.. they were just aaaaaskin' for it.. I rarely go political about anything, but this (for whatever reason) caught my attention.. more than likely because civil rights were violated, and that's a no-no.. Oregon, down South (ya'll), Moscow, or the dark side of the moon, don't matter.. gotta stay legit, or else!

NW.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That racist crap-bag stabbed those people on the Metro up here, too. The Northwest has a secret, deeply racist underbelly. This is where white-pride jackoffs go in order to not be around minorities at all.

Reaction score
It's insulting that you think I get off easy because I'm white. Nothing is easy in my life because I'm white.
It's not an absolute thing it's a relative thing. Being white doesn't mean someone's life is going to be easy, but being white does mean that someone's life is going to be easier than someone who is in the same circumstances but is not white.

A person who is not white that is born into wealth is going to have an easier life than a white person born into poverty. However, the person who is not white will have a more difficult time than a white person born into the same wealth and a person who is not white will have a harder time than a white person born into the same poverty.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is this sincerely your best attempt at logic? If there is not a youtube video of something it did not happen?
Evidence of something is not limited to youtube or social media. More importantly, it's not logical or rational to assume that something is definitely happening when there is a lack of evidence to show something is happening.

We know some of these instances are racially motivated, because racist langauge was used against non-white people. It really doesn't get any clearer than that. Maybe all of these incidents are not racially motivated, but it's pretty self-evident that many of them have been.

Reaction score
Haven’t social issues become the basis for politics?

Number 1 issue with most conservatives is abortion.

Number 1 issue with liberals seems to be inclusion (everyone not white or male heterosexual).
If it were truly that simple, then the easy solution would be to agree to place stringent legal restrictions on abortion and to pass stringent laws that guarantees that every born gets equal opportunity and inclusion. Everyone gets their top issue that way.

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody cares about a busybody white lady calling the cops on her white neighbor's party, but I am 100% sure it happens all the time. It just doesn't show up on Twitter.
I have had the cops out on my street three times in two weeks dealing with all these white meth head tweaking tweakers round here gettin' drunk and stupid... ain't none of that shirt makin' the news. :idunno:

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have had the cops out on my street three times in two weeks dealing with all these white meth head tweaking tweakers round here gettin' drunk and stupid... ain't none of that shirt makin' the news. :idunno:
Well, they're actually committing a crime, right? Or doing something worthy of having the cops called on them, right?

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, they're actually committing a crime, right? Or doing something worthy of having the cops called on them, right?
Well Ward.. Let me ask... The woman that called the cops on the people BBQ'ing in the park... Is there any evidence that the reason she called was because they were black? Or was she just a goody goody busybody?

If those people had been White, would the story have ever made the national news? Or would it have been nothing?

I'll await your answer...

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well Ward.. Let me ask... The woman that called the cops on the people BBQ'ing in the park... Is there any evidence that the reason she called was because they were black? Or was she just a goody goody busybody?

If those people had been White, would the story have ever made the national news? Or would it have been nothing?

Wait...you’re going to dodge his question and then get all “I’ll wait”?
That’s some gumption right there

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wait...you’re going to dodge his question and then get all “I’ll wait”?
That’s some gumption right there
Not really.. Perhaps I used a bad analogy... But my point is I have cops called on white folks around here all the time.. I am sure more throughout the nation... But yet ridiculous calls to the cops happen all the time. I am sure that more stupid calls happen to white folk... But it just doesn't make good news. There's really no way to spin it...

White woman calls cops on white kids playing in park..<<-- No biggie
White woman calls cops on Black kids playing in park... <<-- Whoa, potential news story here.

I am not going to dismiss the fact that I am sure that there are unwarrented calls on Black people by whites that are undeserving... But I am going to say that I bet there are way more unwarrented calls by white people on white people but it just doesn't make as good of click bait.

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
Not really.. Perhaps I used a bad analogy... But my point is I have cops called on white folks around here all the time.. I am sure more throughout the nation... But yet ridiculous calls to the cops happen all the time. I am sure that more stupid calls happen to white folk... But it just doesn't make good news. There's really no way to spin it...

White woman calls cops on Black kids playing in park... <<-- Whoa, potential news story here.

I am not going to dismiss the fact that I am sure that there are unwarrented calls on Black people by whites that are undeserving... But I am going to say that I bet there are way more unwarrented calls by white people on white people but it just doesn't make as good of click bait.
If it's not on YouTube it doesn't happen.

Reaction score

My answer is another question. Do you think that Breitbart and FOX news would hesitate to run with a story of white on white cop calling for something trivial or better yet non-white on white cop calling?

Reaction score
I am sure that more stupid calls happen to white folk... But it just doesn't make good news. There's really no way to spin it...

How can you believe something with such sureness without any evidence that supports what you believe?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom