Why white people keep calling the cops on black Americans (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Good article. Not sure if EE or PDB is best place for this. Mods please move if necessary.

The video Flip posted in the Fathers thread reminded me of this article. My girlfriend's brother told his son who was just going to college that there may be times dealing with the police that you have to choose between your dignity and your life. And as hard as it is to swallow ALWAYS choose your life.

This is ridiculous. The BBQ, The Air BnB, the Yale common room, reading a book

I'm just reading about the swimming pool one today. The cops weren't called but they were threatened with calling the cops
==================================================================================================================
Tina, a black woman from Milwaukee, was on a road trip with her eldest son when she had an unpleasant encounter with the police of a sort that’s all too common.

After stopping to fuel up the car, she realized that she hadn’t gotten the correct change from the station attendant. The attendant angrily disagreed.

“I said, “Let’s not argue with the man. Let’s go get the police,” Tina, whose name has been changed to protect her confidentiality, told me. ”When the police came, instead of him talking to me like I’m talking to you — respectfully — he got up in my face and told me to ‘shut up.’” When Tina told the police officer that he shouldn’t address her that way, he arrested Tina and her son.

The result seems drastic. But after hundreds of conversations in communities across the country that I conducted for my research on policing in America, I’ve learned that such testimonies are a common experience for black Americans, no matter the locality. I am a political scientist who studies how Americans understand government through their direct experience of it, which, for many, is interacting with the police. The gulf between how black America and white America experience the police is vast.

Many other Americans are waking up to the reality that white people have the power to turn minor disputes, or their own anxiety, into interventions by the police (which is hardly news in the black community).

Such incidents keep making news, including a white student at Yale calling police officers on a black student who had nodded off in a common area and a white woman in Oakland calling the police on a black family barbecuing in a part of a park that allowed barbecuing. (Three years ago at Yale, a campus police officer pulled a gun on a black student — the son of a prominent New York Times columnist — who was casually walking through campus.)

Many people are rightly questioning why black people going about their business are aggressively policed for selling loose cigarettes, barbecuing, sipping a latte, and simply existing in public spaces.....................

Whites calling the police have an altogether different experience. They do not endure long response times, treatment that negates their victimization, or the slide from victim to suspect in the eyes of the police. They may even gain a sense of personal efficacy in seeing the state perform its basic function of protecting them.

As Charles Epp and his colleagues wrote in their book Pulled Over, which grew out of a large representative survey analysis of white and black drivers, even when whites have involuntary contact with police, they overwhelmingly experience the police as helpful, benevolent, fair, and efficient problem solvers.

This mismatch in experience equates to powerful incentives for people of one racial group to call the police on others who could be seen as breaching “white space.” It’s also a powerful disincentive for black people to call the police in almost any situation except when their lives depend on it........................

Why white people keep calling the cops on black Americans

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
seemingly there was no other violation
that's why they pulled her over
at night. in the freezing cold
Police will pull cars over at night with expired tags in order to catch drunk drivers. Do you think they knew she was black before pulling her over? I know that when I'm following another car at night I can't tell if the person in front of me is black, white, male or female. I'm not defending their actions afterwards, just saying it's not really out of the ordinary for them to pull her over in the first place.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe not, but seizing the car might be a bit much.

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
Maybe not, but seizing the car might be a bit much.
Yeah, no doubt. I haven't watched the video, so I don't really know what transpired but that does seem extreme.

Lol, I got a dead falcon for stating a truth. I work with multiple officers, I know this to be true. I posted a couple of weeks ago about getting pulled over for my tag lights being burned out. I'm pretty sure the officer didn't know what color my skin was in the dark driving behind me.

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
tbc it's not me
i only falcon people who tell me to get over the saints robbery
No, I know you don't have a problem working out disagreements or expressing your thoughts. Some people do and I get that. I just wish they didn't DF every post of the person they don't like simply out of spite. It kind of defeats the purpose.

Yoweigh

is not a rookie
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The first rule of internet points is that you don't talk about internet points because internet points don't matter and talking about them derails conversations.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Police will pull cars over at night with expired tags in order to catch drunk drivers. Do you think they knew she was black before pulling her over? I know that when I'm following another car at night I can't tell if the person in front of me is black, white, male or female. I'm not defending their actions afterwards, just saying it's not really out of the ordinary for them to pull her over in the first place.
They may not have known she was black before they pulled her over, but they certainly knew after they pulled her over. And they typical police fashion, that's how they treated her.

Also you're telling me they really couldn't find anything better to do on a night when it was below freezing? They couldn't have been looking around for homeless people and trying to get them to shelters in below freezing weather instead of pulling over people with expired tags and seizing their cars? What happened to "serving" the community?

On a related note, I'm sitting here laughing because his dumb arse got caught because he posted the video to snapchat himself. Karma! :smilielol:

Also, in case anybody missed this tidbit about this douchebag from the article:

This isn’t the first time Steele has been in trouble. In 2008 he was charged with physically attacking his ex-girlfriend and firing a gun next to her head, according to WXYZ.
How is this creep a police officer after that incident? That thin blue line needs to get a little thinner and disappear all together.

Last edited:

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
They may not have known she was black before they pulled her over, but they certainly knew after they pulled her over. And they typical police fashion, that's how they treated her.

Also you're telling me they really couldn't find anything better to do on a night when it was below freezing? They couldn't have been looking around for homeless people and trying to get them to shelters in below freezing weather instead of pulling over people with expired tags and seizing their cars? What happened to "serving" the community?

On a related note, I'm sitting here laughing because his dumb arse got caught because he posted the video to snapchat himself. Karma! :smilielol:

Also, in case anybody missed this tidbit about this douchebag from the article:

How is this creep a police officer after that incident? That thin blue line needs to get a little thinner and disappear all together.
As I said, I wasn't commenting on the actual incident, simply replying to the comment about pulling her over to begin with and how it is not out of the ordinary. I would imagine that holds true for officers who are used to working in those conditions. As for picking up homeless, etc. I can't comment on something that I cannot confirm that they did or did not do. Again, I won't get into the actual situation, which looks as if the cop was a major dbag. Simply adding some context to what led up to it. In fact, when I asked one of the guys I work with about the time I got pulled over for tag lights being out and why they don't have better things to do his exact response was "And??? How do you think the large majority of DWI's are caught?"

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Some departments have quotas for interactions and traffic stops. Where someone I know works, the quota isn’t for actually giving tickets, only for stops or interactions.

When this officer that I know pulled over a young woman with an expired license, he would have been within his rights to have the car towed because she was by herself with only her kids in the car. He chose to wait with her while she called a relative to come and drive her home. It was obvious they had very little money. She actually cried with relief when he told he he wasn’t going to have her car towed. I think this happens far more than we realize, but we should still try to uncover bad behavior and correct it when possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)