Why won’t DA give Winston a shot ?? (1 Viewer)

I don't know if you know this or not but a "Winston schemed offense" (based off of everything that is said to be a strength) would be one that looked like the offense that he ran with a prime Brees and it looked like we were actually going to open things up before he got hurt last season. And that's why I think this offensive mess that we are in is due to DA's "vision" for the offense. PC sat in the same room with CSP and knew where he wanted to go but here we are; predictable scheming leading to stale play calling.

I literally said in the post you’re quoting that it looked like Payton had the gloves on and was going to take them off, then Winston got hurt against Tampa.

No one is defending the Carmichael here. Whatever he knew or thought he knew about Payton’s plan hasn’t lead to many positive results. Either he doesn’t have the ability to implement Payton’s vision or he doesn’t want to, unless DA is the one telling him to keep it basic and stale. Which I suppose wouldn’t surprise me either.

My main point is that they aren’t changing their whole offensive philosophy at this point in the year, no matter who’s the QB.

bUt yOu cAnT bE iN sHoTgUn

Except the chiefs do... with ridiculous success. You watch it.... They aren't making Mahomes throwing crazy passes. If anyone can watch that offense and tell me that Winston couldn't run same system from shotgun with those reads. All they do is overload secondaries. Nothing freaking special. Looks like the 2 minute offense Winston runs to amazing results

Most folks only see the ESPN highlights hyping him up. Andy Reid probably has the most QB friendly system the NFL has ever seen and you can count on one hand in his 20+ years of coaching the QBs that have failed his system. Mahomes first read is usually open and they run A LOT of designed RB screens. I'm not saying that it is basic but he is the product of a system where he isn't asked to "do much" because Andy Reid, being the offensive genius that he is, built a system where the hard work is taken care of. Time management and not knowing when to get rid of defensive coordinators is another story.

My main point is that they aren’t changing their whole offensive philosophy at this point in the year, no matter who’s the QB.
This is a big glaring issue.

As much we hate this predictable small ball offense. This is the offense that Dennis wants from day one.

Even if they wanted to move to Winston and change the offense during the bye week. We are probably are already out of the division race... Not even gonna mention the 7th playoff spot.

So... If they did all those things... FOR FOUR GAMES. What is the point? If Winston succeed... Dennis & Pete will most certainly look like a fool. They can't be wrong if they never let him play.

At this point, the decision to see if Winston has potential in a system more suited for him is better suited for a different coach and his scheme.

We draft a late 1st or early 2nd round QB. He won't be ready anyway to start day one.

Winston already has dead money accrued for this upcoming season. So, he maybe kept along anyway.

Cut him is a nasty dead cap and post June cutting him is $8.4 million deadcap in 2024. Winston's future is probably in the hand of the next playcaller

Last edited:
Most folks only see the ESPN highlights hyping him up. Andy Reid probably has the most QB friendly system the NFL has ever seen and you can count on one hand in his 20+ years of coaching the QBs that have failed his system. Mahomes first read is usually open and they run A LOT of designed RB screens. I'm not saying that it is basic but he is the product of a system where he isn't asked to "do much" because Andy Reid, being the offensive genius that he is, built a system where the hard work is taken care of. Time management and not knowing when to get rid of defensive coordinators is another story.

I tried to find an every snap game film... But couldn't. I watched that system a lot when we interview Eric. I was excited for something different and it honestly look like a system that best complement Winston.

It's not that Jameis will solve our offensive issues. It would be the fact that his retaking of the offense would be an acknowledgement that small ball west coast offense doesn't work against good defenses. The Saints need to change their tactics and strategy to match the players available.

FYI, west coast died when everyone started drafting 235 lbs linebackers that run 4.4 40's. The space that existed around big lumbering 265 lbs gap fillers is gone now that the league is so passing skewed. You could see it even with Brees 5 years ago. The defenses adjusted and our yards per attempt kept dropping because of his arm strength and the lack of space.
Soon as the falcons drafted Deion jones and they kept Molly whopping kamara I knew the short pass game was done

At this point, I don't think Jameis should want to be a part of this mess. Hopefully, they release him at the end of the season, and he can find a better situation, even as a backup.

Oh so you know what you are watching better than we do because we want to see either Hill or Winston because Dalton is just NOT getting it done? Get outta here with that!!!!
See, that’s your issue not mine. I never said that.

I said when people first blame the QB and that’s their go to, which is an issue on this site no matter who the QB is

See, that’s your issue not mine. I never said that.

I said when people first blame the QB and that’s their go to, which is an issue on this site no matter who the QB is
The problem was that a guy was scapegoated as the problem and lost his job...now that it's clear as day that he wasnt the problem he should get his job back. That's what we're getting at.

The problem was that a guy was scapegoated as the problem and lost his job...now that it's clear as day that he wasnt the problem he should get his job back. That's what we're getting at.

Yup….anyone who thinks Andy Dalton should still be starting is part of the problem (hypothetically anyways)….Didn’t DA say Winston was healthy weeks ago and that Dalton somehow magically won the job based on “performance”?

Total and utter BS from a BS coach and staff….at this point starting Dalton makes absolutely zero sense….

I really wished we would have invested in Qb before Brees retired…felt like it was an afterthought. I’m not talking about taking a flyer on a 4th or 5th rounder either. There’s so many young guys we could’ve drafted and learned behind Brees and CSP…we could’ve had Hurts. I remember fans wanting him on here. I understand going all in but we should’ve thought about the future also. Just irritating…

I didn’t disagree with that, and it doesn’t have anything to do with my post.

Someone said something negative about Dalton about this game.

Dalton wasn’t even in the top 5 reasons we lost this game so I defended him. The same way I would have Winston.

Winston was awful to start the year, but majority of that was the Oline was atrocious. Then that same Oline got him hurt and ruined his confidence.

I personally hope Winston doesn’t play another snap for this team while DA is here. It’ll just further ruin his career. DA is garbage

I really wished we would have invested in Qb before Brees retired…felt like it was an afterthought. I’m not talking about taking a flyer on a 4th or 5th rounder either. There’s so many young guys we could’ve drafted and learned behind Brees and CSP…we could’ve had Hurts. I remember fans wanting him on here. I understand going all in but we should’ve thought about the future also. Just irritating…
With this system? If Hurts was effective playing sandlot ball, they'd bench him. DA's pride is holding this team back. The offense doesn't produce until they open things up. So what do they do? Go right back to small ball ineffective WCO until it's too late with a QB that no one really believes is capable of a game-winning two-minute drill. Does anyone in here really think Dalton is more effective than Jameis and Taysom in a two-minute drill? Because we've seen that just ain't so.

I keep going back to it because it's maddening to watch that 4th quarter of the Falcons game where PC was calling 2011 Brees plays and Jameis and company were carving them up and then watch what the offense has done since. Slow down the blitz the same way the Chiefs do. Spread them out and run from shotgun.

I didn’t disagree with that, and it doesn’t have anything to do with my post.

Someone said something negative about Dalton about this game.

Dalton wasn’t even in the top 5 reasons we lost this game so I defended him. The same way I would have Winston.

Winston was awful to start the year, but majority of that was the Oline was atrocious. Then that same Oline got him hurt and ruined his confidence.

I personally hope Winston doesn’t play another snap for this team while DA is here. It’ll just further ruin his career. DA is garbage
Winston was awful in the first half of the Falcons game was better in the 2nd half and won it in the 4th...

the Tampa game? There's a chance...just a chance that Tampa might have a Top D in the league. He had a bad day at the office...funny how he can't have one against a good D but Dalton can suck arse against Pittsburgh and we just all shrug our shoulders..."bad day at the office"

The Carolina game, everybody and their grandma will try to convince you he played terribly...just as bad as Mayfield. But he cooked for 356 yards that day and if Lutz didn't shank 2 FGs and Kamara doesn't give up a scoop and score...we win. His 2 INTs were a batted ball and a Hail Mary at the end of the game.

Allen started Matt McGloin who won a game then lost 5 or 6 straight after. If you're asking how much suckage does it take before Allen tries something different the answer is there isn't enough.

Must be disheartening to be a part of this offense knowing your coach won't try to do anything different to help the team. Wonder if that's why we're seeing more drops and lapses in concentration.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom