why would we trade smith? (1 Viewer)

bigcobra

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i know we gave grant a substantial amount of money, and Will Smith will soon demand more, but i dont understand why anyone would want us to trade him. Grant has gotten fatter and less productive, and has already mentioned moving to DT in some packages. In addition, we have no one to immediately replace. Mcray is not the full time answer. Also, Gholston will not even make it up to the saints because the Patriots will snag him. And even if he did, and we drafted him, this would be another trivial first draft pick by the saints because we didnt address a glaring need. (CB, DT, LB).

i truly hope this doesnt happen. We still have considerable room under the cap. pay colston, pay smith, and restructure deuce. Our team is built to win now. We need our players. IMO

Agreed. We would only be adding a new need by getting rid of one of our best defenders. We shouldn't get rid of Smith just because they made a mistake by signing Grant to that monster deal.

we wont trade Smith --- at least not this year -- the Saints feel that improvement on the defense will lead to a super bowl run -- hey will not risk that now

I agree! Will Smith is a a great player, and a great presence in the locker room and community - trading him would be stupid.

Woah woah woah, getting Gholston would address a glaring need: a pass rush.

Woah woah woah, getting Gholston would address a glaring need: a pass rush.

Highly agreed on :plus-un2: we didnt really record much sacks last year and horrible QB's picked us apart a pass rusher is a huge need on this team

BTW: gholston wont make it out of the top 6 probably will be a ram unless chris long is passed on

Will Smith is my Favorite Player on the whole team right now...Pat Swilling and Joe Horn were my previous favorites....that being said, NO WAY NO HOW do they trade the best Player on this team...Pound for Pound Will Smith makes more of a difference than any other player bar none...He and Drew Brees are tied in importance in my opinion...Nobody on the defensive side of the ball, not even McKenzie (though he's hella nice) make as much of a difference...That being said, we need Better Linebackers and we did make an effort thus far to get them...we do need solid depth on the Dline....So why in the world would some of you think we need to trade the best player on that line?...He will get his contract extension, there's no other option....It's not open for discussion...Will Smith should retire a Saint...Nuff Said...

Wyzdom360

Will Smith is my Favorite Player on the whole team right now...Pat Swilling and Joe Horn were my previous favorites....that being said, NO WAY NO HOW do they trade the best Player on this team...Pound for Pound Will Smith makes more of a difference than any other player bar none...He and Drew Brees are tied in importance in my opinion...Nobody on the defensive side of the ball, not even McKenzie (though he's hella nice) make as much of a difference...That being said, we need Better Linebackers and we did make an effort thus far to get them...we do need solid depth on the Dline....So why in the world would some of you think we need to trade the best player on that line?...He will get his contract extension, there's no other option....It's not open for discussion...Will Smith should retire a Saint...Nuff Said...

Wyzdom360

So just because he's your favorite player guarantees that he will sign a new contract with us? he is a FA next year unless we use the Franchise tag or sign him to a new deal this year... With that being said he doesnt have to sign with us. But if we place the franchise tag on him it only guarantees that we have him for only one year

From everything I've been reading, the Saints got McCray to free up Grant to line up in the middle on occasion and create a more effective pass rush. The better the pass rush, the less our corners are exposed. And Will Smith is a very important piece of this puzzle. (This scheme worked so well for the Giants)

We will keep him. If we can't get a contract that works for the Saints, we will tag him next year.

Anyone thinking a Will Smith trade for Nnamdi Asomugha? I would take that straight up. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

we wont get enough value for him because of his down year last year.... if we should trade anyone it should be charles grant he hasnt produced after getting paid....(of course no one would pick up his contract) .... but to be honest I have been really wondering over the last two years.... why dont we move grant inside to DT... hes getting too big to play end in a 4-3...

why trade will smith,lets see he wants top 5 de money,and his stats arent in the top twenty

Only way I would dream of dealing Smith is if it's for Nnamdi or an extra first rounder that we could get C Long/Gholston/Harvey.
His stats last year might not have shown how good he is but did any Saint's?
He is our best defender if McKenzie is down and Vilma can't get back to his best. Why would we want to lose him unless we get a megadeal in our favor?

I hope we can get a contract for Will Smith, I think that he is a valueable part of our team, people have forgotten how good he was after his less than amazing year in 07. But you should blame hat on our DTs the QB could escape Smith by stepping up into the pocket every time that's why his sack total isn't as high this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom