Wide receiver positional analysis (1 Viewer)

The Unrest Cure

Compassion is the basis of morality.
Reaction score
Much has been made over the Saints' prolific offense, Sean Payton's "genius" and Drew Brees' status as a top-ranked qb in the NFL. On the whole, these points have merit. But is our offense truly as efficient as it should be?

Marques Colston - Obviously the wr corps discussion begins with him. His size and the uncanny ability to create space with it is amazing. He has excellent hands but sometimes drops passes that require him to get upfield quickly. Some of those drops are due to Brees' inaccurate passes, as Drew gets the ball there but requires his wrs to stretch for it. Nowhere is this more noticeable than on Colston's routes across the middle. Colston possesses enough speed to keep dbs honest, and punishes those that attempt to arm-tackle him. He is the only wr on the roster (at this time) that can consistently create yards after the catch, and even more crucially, yards after contact. His route-running is disciplined, and allows Brees to throw the ball to a spot rather than a person - critical emphases for a west coast offense. As a downfield blocker he is above average. As an inline blocker he is no worse than marginal TEs. On the downside, Colston's propensity to take hits will leave him susceptible to endless nagging injuries.

David Patten - Often thought of as a "wily vet" he showed the ability to produce last year, but was still limited by niggling injuries. He is extremely quick and has good speed - good enough to get behind corners and expose late safeties. His hands are solid, his blocking is more of "stand in the way" than tenacious, and he excels at running through zone coverages. He does not appear to thrive at finding holes in zones or standing put when in those holes, and goes down easily at first contact. But as a deep threat, he is probably the best the Saints have.

Devery Henderson - Where to begin? His hands are better than most think, except his dropsys seem to get the better of him; when he drops one he will usually drop several. Unfortunately, he struggles to make receptions and re-orient himself, which minimizes his speed and effectiveness on screens and sitting in zones. Obviously his pace makes him a tremendous weapon, but not in the standard west coast way of high percentage passes and substituting short routes for runs. These are not his strengths and the Saints' offense is the worse for it. In the end, it appears that he will most be used as a one-trick pony to tie up safeties in the deep third, as a zonebuster to create more space underneath. In a vertical offense - think Al Davis - he could be special. In this offense, predicated on down and distance and quick, crisp routes he is nothing but below average. His apparent inability to threaten running an entire route tree limits a qb's choices when he is in the game. As a downfield blocker he is surprisingly aggressive and useful.

Lance Moore - I really thought last year he would be something special. Now it is pretty obvious he lacks strength and the ability to separate against physical corners. Almost all of his receptions last year came as dumpoffs from Brees and resulted in no yards after catch. 1st contact immediately brings him down, and while with his great lateral quickness he should gain separation from cbs (much less lbs!) most defenders are only a few steps away at any time. That in itself is not a sin, but his pronounced inability to accelerate away from them or challenge them limits his role. Perhaps with time his functional strength will increase and give him greater opportunity to get into more downfield routes. Thankfully, he is rarely in a position to act as a blocker. His hands are good, but physically he is no better than a special teams dynamo or a 5th wr. It is apparent he lacks elite speed.

Terrence Copper - After 2006, he looked game for a major role in the offense. After 2007, he looked game to be gone. His contributions to special teams are laudable, but physically Copper does not have the makings of a consistent contributor. His hands are merely average, the routes he can run are limited, and he appears to be an at-best stopgap. His blocking effort is considerable, as one would expect from a special teams gunner. That alone does not merit a roster spot, however.

Robert Meachem - The great unknown. All that anyone has seen of him was against scrubs and preseason deadmenwalking. He does show strong hands and the power to get off the line quickly. With his frame he should produce yards after the catch and yards after contact. He did show the ability last year to focus on the ball and make receptions off his body, while still getting his head turned upfield - necessary skills to thrive at this level. On the downside, he appeared hesitant when facing contact in the middle of the field, his blocking is an unknown value, and his inability to get on the field last year (and with a weak receiving corps) bodes poorly about his grasp of the offense and his routes. If he is able to stay healthy and develop a rapport with Brees he could be special, and well worth the 27th pick of the draft.

Of the Saints' offseason moves I don't believe any of them will stick past preseason. And at this point, they are entirely unknown quantities. Skyler Green has some name recognition, but his track record in the NFL does not impress.

On the whole, the wrs are a pretty unremarkable lot, short of Marques Colston. It is obvious that much of the NFL takes this same dim view, as both Patten and Henderson returned to the fold after tasting free agency. I think the FO saw this as the weak link on the team last year, and moved accordingly to draft Meachem, whose healthy return could be a boon to the team. Even so, significant upgrades are necessary, if not this year over the next two or so. The importance of separation and yards after the catch are not to be underestimated. Colston is the only wr who can achieve these consistently, and he was the only wr to perform consistently last year. I do not believe the two concepts are unrelated. If Meachem fails to produce the Saints will find themselves in a very sorry position, talent-wise, at this position. In all likelihood there are no wrs in the draft that will produce immediately, so any taken this year are for the future. It would not shock me to see multiple wrs taken by the Saints, and for one of them to be early. This is a deep draft for wrs, so several good prospects will be available late. {Jerome Simpson, Earl Bennett, Mario Urrutia} That New Orleans' offense has performed at such a high level the last 2 years with so little "great" talent at the wr position is a credit to both Sean Payton and Drew Brees. It is my belief that Brees is the type of qb who can bring you a Super Bowl trophy, and he should be surrounded by players who talents he can exploit. As such, I hope they are able to fetch more offensive players in the draft, particularly at this position. Several years of poor drafting have robbed this team of quality young depth at multiple positions, but I hope wr is not shortchanged because of our weak defense.

Let me know how wrong/right I am ...

But is our offense truly as efficient as it should be?

Let me know how wrong/right I am ...

I don't understand what any of this has to do with offensive efficiency (redzone efficiency, turnovers, first down, drive efficiency, etc).

I don't understand what any of this has to do with offensive efficiency (redzone efficiency, turnovers, first down, drive efficiency, etc).

If I'm correct I think he's getting at the fact that we pretty much run the West Coast Offense and we only have 1 reciever who fits the offense correctly(Colston). Every other WR on this team either lacks good hands or YAC ability, both of which is needed to run this offense efficiently.

I'm pretty sure that's his point and I agree with it, which makes the re-signing of Henderson that much more puzzling to me. He needs to be in a vertical offense like the Bengals to really get his best game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think we ran a West Coast offense. The only similarities between our offense and a West Coast offense is the fact that we throw the ball a lot, and I think that has more to do with the fact that the defense can't stop anyone, and the running game has been pretty ineffective. I don't think there is a label for the offense that Payton runs, but no one has ever called it a West Coast offense to my knowledge.

Regardless of the semantics, though, I think the OP's analysis of the WR depth chart is good. I think the WRs as a whole are better than the group in '06, and the offense could certainly get it done then. So what's different?

I think the key to getting back to that type of production is to get someone to be the tailback so that Reggie can be moved around the field. He was the wildcard that forced defenses to adjust and created matchup problems for the Saints to exploit. In '07, Reggie was ineffective because the defense knew exactly where to find him - taking the handoff from Brees or swinging out to the flat for a pass. The routes that Bush could take were severely limited by only starting from one position on the field. With Bush being accounted for easily by the defense, the only player that presented a favorable matchup was Colston, due to his length. If we can find someone or a combination of someones to take the rushing duties away from Bush and just let him be the wild card again, the offense will be able to get favorable matchups, confuse defenses, and create big play opportunities again. Deuce could be that guy. PT may be able to do it, too. Perhaps the answer is PT and Stecker alternating drives at tailback to add yet another dimension to the offense. Whatever happens, they can't try to put a square peg into a round hole again, especially when the square peg can juke defenders out of their shoes if you get him the ball in space.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think we ran a West Coast offense. The only similarities between our offense and a West Coast offense is the fact that we throw the ball a lot, and I think that has more to do with the fact that the defense can't stop anyone, and the running game has been pretty ineffective. I don't think there is a label for the offense that Payton runs, but no one has ever called it a West Coast offense to my knowledge.

Regardless of the semantics, though, I think the OP's analysis of the WR depth chart is good. I think the WRs as a whole are better than the group in '06, and the offense could certainly get it done then. So what's different?

I think the key to getting back to that type of production is to get someone to be the tailback so that Reggie can be moved around the field. He was the wildcard that forced defenses to adjust and created matchup problems for the Saints to exploit. In '07, Reggie was ineffective because the defense knew exactly where to find him - taking the handoff from Brees or swinging out to the flat for a pass. The routes that Bush could take were severely limited by only starting from one position on the field. With Bush being accounted for easily by the defense, the only player that presented a favorable matchup was Colston, due to his length. If we can find someone or a combination of someones to take the rushing duties away from Bush and just let him be the wild card again, the offense will be able to get favorable matchups, confuse defenses, and create big play opportunities again. Deuce could be that guy. PT may be able to do it, too. Perhaps the answer is PT and Stecker alternating drives at tailback to add yet another dimension to the offense. Whatever happens, they can't try to put a square peg into a round hole again, especially when the square peg can juke defenders out of their shoes if you get him the ball in space.

We definately run a version of the West Coast Offense. The WCO is based on short and intermediate pass patterns that take the place of runs. That describes our offensive philosophy to a "T".

Excellent analysis, Andre, IMHO. I've been saying that I'd like us to draft at least one receiver, and I wouldn't be surprised if we used a second round pick to do so. I know many believe we have a greater need at RB than at receiver, but with the emergence of PT Cruiser at the end of last season and the return of Steck, I'd say we might actually have a bigger need at receiver b/c of the kind of offense Payton likes to run. At least it's not as cut and dried of a debate as one might think. One reason I think we tried to trade for Shockey until it was evident the price would be too high is b/c both Payton and Brees know we have not had enough threats in the passing game on the field at the same time. It was painfully obvious in too many games last year that our receivers would struggle to get separation and, even if they caught the ball, get tackled immediately, whereas the opposing teams' receivers were roaming freely through our backfield. Obviously, our own receivers would have benefitted had they been able to play against our backfield last year, but one can't ignore that aside from Colston we don't have anything close to an elite group of receivers. Like you, I think the success we've had in the passing offense has come in spite of a relatively weak receiving corps b/c of Drew Brees. Colston is aces, but you're absolutely right that we really don't have a bonafide #2 receiver on our team and that Devery's skill set is ill-suited for the version of the West Coast offense we run.

You are correct in that we really only had Colston and some middle of the road receivers last year. Patten is good when fully healthy, but not a game breaker. Just a solid possession receiver. If Meachem doesn't have a break out year we will go searching for again for a compliment to Colston. (Unless we draft one and he has an immediate impact, which is not likely.)

Very good post. I agree with your analysis of the players. I like everyone else am hoping that Meacham has a "Breakout" year. Or at least a year where he is a heavy contributor to the gameplan each week.

IMO Patten could end up playing a Willie Jackson type of role.
I wouldnt be suprised if Coach drafted a WR on the 2nd day. some nice looking sleepers out there. Maurice Purify?
Meachem had better show me something, and I think he will. No "Rookie" Wr would be more prepared then he must be at this point.

The biggest issue with every wr in this draft is that NONE are complete players. I don't think there is any doubt that pick #10 is too high to draft a wideout this year. I think the case could be made that none should be drafted in the first 20 picks, or possibly even in the entire 1st round. But there is great depth - excellent value can be had on the 2nd day or late on the 1st day. The dual reliance on wrs as key special team contributors AND gameday players hurts the Saints, as larger wideouts rarely are great special team players. Obviously CBs, safeties, and LBs can contribute to ST as well, so perhaps some gains can be made there to allow us to carry a non-ST wr.

FWIW, I do not see Copper, Moore, and Henderson all making the team this year. Two of the three probably will, but not all three. I'm guessing the cut will be Moore or Copper, dependent on how the draft shakes out. If Stecker goes they both stay. But it is way to early to predict all of that. I hope the Saints take every opportunity to trade down and compile picks, in the hope that some develop.

I'm sorry my post was not clear, thank you to ChitownSaint for making my point comprehensible.

Good post OP. Well thought out. I too thought that Lance Moore was going to be a nice addition to the lineup based on preseason play. I really hate that he disappeared during the regular season. It certainly appears that the young man has the desire. I really like him.

I guess all of us that questioned taking a WR in the first round last year have a better appreciation for what the team was looking at.

It is just one more area that when you look at it closely you realize that we are on the "edge" of being really good or mediocre. I guess most NFL teams are like that though.

I wouldnt be suprised if Coach drafted a WR on the 2nd day. some nice looking sleepers out there. Maurice Purify?
Maurice Purify very good talent he would make an excellent pick.

decent analysis....except that meachem is not necessarily unremarkable (he was lumped in with everyone but Colston). to the contrary, he's a first round pick, and until he becomes a bust on the field, I think we must (well me anyway) feel that the font office has addressed this wr issue, and addressed it in a very big way, spending a no. 1 on a wr. I don't see a wr taken in the draft untl the second day, if at all...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom