Wifi mesh network (1 Viewer)

Ok right off the bat I’m not happy with the open vent system on top of this unit. Vents can always be issues with dust but one facing down is just bound to ask for stuff from the air to settle in it. Thank god for the 4 year protection plan and that my GF is a cleaning nazi.

when you open the antenna wings up, all that area that they sat in is a grid you can see the components down in.
Amazon product ASIN B07NF6V8SC

This is serving me well. Zero issues.
I did buy the ethernet switch to take care of my additional port needs, but that was cheap. I think $20.

Netgear still the king of network in my book.

Like my Orbi. Got it on a fantastic sell at costco.

Don't like the ping drops, tho.

the one thing that Eero definately did better was remote management of the network and parental control. Far more user friendly.

I'm using the free trial of Circle with Disney (which I don't know why its called that I have not seen anything about getting Disney with it)

But I am also checking into Open DNS that @buzd mentioned above.

I'm getting ready to buy my own router.
Been looking at tons of equipment.
I've been using the Verizon Quantum
G 1100 for several years but it's time to upgrade. I also have a Netgear extender that's a life saver right now With every tv, phone, and tablet/office computer it's time to get with the speed.
I just changed my plan to the 200mbps/200mbps for $39.99. I was actually paying more for the 100/100 but I call Verizon once a year to hassle them.
The rental fee still being $12-$15 pending on your router model. I just don't want to rent anymore when it's cheaper to buy.

Verizon offers zero support when using a modem/router combo that's not their own.
Does anyone know about the Verizon G3100 wifi6 mesh router?
It's apparently getting great reviews but there is a downside. You can only use the extender for it's series....the E3200.
Together you can get the G3100 from $269.99 to $299.99. the E3200 ranges from $149.99 to $199.99.
Max price at 499.98 plus tax seems a little high but that's Verizon for ya.

Any Verizon customers out there who've had success with equipment outside Verizon's own stuff?

I've heard good things with Netgear, Arris, tplink, and Motorola.

I have Ethernet coming in to the house from the Verizon box. Do I still need a modem/router? Just asking since the one I'm using now is a combo.
Some say online you don't need a modem
with Verizon. I've always rented so my knowledge stopped there. Lol

getting away from the combo/rental was one of the best moves Ive made. I love my nighthawk and it should work seamlessly with your extender. I think most mesh systems are not going to use that extender. I had the eero and it wouldn't

getting away from the combo/rental was one of the best moves Ive made. I love my nighthawk and it should work seamlessly with your extender. I think most mesh systems are not going to use that extender. I had the eero and it wouldn't
Are you familiar with fios?
I'm working with roughly 1500 sq ft
and I keep reading I don't need a modem.

. Since Verizon Fios uses a 100% fiber-optic network, the service does not use modems. Instead, it uses an Optical Network Terminal (ONT), which is essentially the fiber-optic version of a modem. So you can't use your own modem with Verizon Fios, but you can use your own router.Jun 17, 2019

This is what I keep reading.
If you run Ethernet from the ont you
should be able to use a router only.
You'll have to contact Verizon to turn the
Ethernet port on if they have coax coming out instead.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with fios?
I'm working with roughly 1500 sq ft
and I keep reading I don't need a modem.

No I am not. Unfortunately the Tech board isn't getting much traffic anymore. It could almost go the way of the music board and be incorporated back into EE IMO. There are plenty of tech people on EE. You might do a search of other network threads and tag those members who clearly had knowledge based on their posts. I am having the same issue on my hard drive recoup thread.

I don't have FIOS, but I do have AT&T fiber. They call their fiber modems, gateways. I have to use the AT&T gateway, but I have turned off the wifi antennas on it and have it plugged into an Orbi with one satellite. The coverage is way better! The slowest speed in the house 350mb.

Update:
Found the Google nest 3 pack for
$310.00 plus tax free shipping.

Verizon service 200/200

Speed tests were amazing.
With the Verizon Quantum
Next to router downstairs:
Upload was 65Mbps
Download was 58 Mbps
Upstairs:
Upload was 40 Mbps
Download was 36 Mbps
Office:
Upload was 32 Mbps
Download was 24 Mbps
Bedrooms:
Upload was 15 Mbps
Download was 9 Mbps
Outside:
No signal strength

Google nest results :

Screenshot_20200623-000605~2.png

The whole house was the same and my
Entire front and backyard gets coverage.
I'm happy 😁
Returning my old router tomorrow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom