Wifi mesh network (1 Viewer)

someone

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So I need about 3500 sq feet of coverage over two stories. I have ring doorbell, Blink camera system, laptop, iPad, phones, Playstation and ADT pulse. My current router does a decent job with coverage, but lately the ring doorbell and Blink system have been disconnecting.

I currently pay for 200mbps, but never get that. I'm wondering if my router is going out. I also wouldn't mind better overall coverage.

I'd like to have the Playstation and the ADT pulse wired, but they're in different rooms.

So I've been looking at different options and discovered these mesh systems. The Google mesh network seems to have the best reviews. Has anyone had any experience with these?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google...i-system-3-pack-white/5706130.p?skuId=5706130

When in doubt, I check out The Wirecutter reviews. I don't always get their top pick, but I have never been disappointed in my choices.

Like the Eero and Velop kits, Google Wifi is an extensible mesh-networking kit with an intuitive app. Google Wifi did okay in our tests last year, but it’s dragging at the bottom of the pack this year. This is partly due to our tougher testing, and partly due to stronger competition—and improved firmware in most of our competitors, which we really didn’t see from Google.

Google Wifi also offers a bunch of extra functionality in its app, in the form of Material Design “cards” (immediately familiar to any Android user) that can assist with everything from device prioritization to managing home-automation devices.
Engadget and CNET both really liked the Google Wifi system back in 2016—but neither reviewer had 2017’s much stronger field of mesh kits to compare it with, neither seem to worry about Google’s history with abandoned projects, and both sites posted their reviews before the Google Accounts hiccup that factory-reset thousands of devices, including mine. We think you can do a lot better.

I bought a Motorola modem and an Orbi router some time back.

I get about 175 mbs and both are trouble free so far.

What's cool is I pay for the 150 mbs package. :shades:

I'm looking into this as well. I'd like to finally get a better signal to the back room and into the back yard for the blink camera. I currently have an Asus router and apparently Asus allows you to create a mesh network by adding another router, even with older units. That may be the way to go.

I just got the Orbi AC3000 with the router and one satellite. It was a bit pricey and the setup took some effort that may have been on my end. But I am pretty happy so far. I also like that I can connect hubs by ethernet to either device.

I pay for AT&T Uverse Gigapower. Ethernet wired speeds are usually somewhere 800+ ish Mbps. Wifi with the AT&T router is usually around 300 Mbps when close, but really drops the further away from that router in other rooms. With the Orbi mesh setup, I am getting a good 350 Mbps consistently in most areas of the house with a little dropoff in other rooms. Oh, and 426 Mbps upload.

I use whatever my neighbor has, and I have no issues. Can I say I'm not paying for any package!

Just kidding!

I'm about to hook up the same orbi to my ATT gateway. Can you tell me what issues you had getting the Orbi setup?

Bad news for ORBI

I updated the Orbi yesterday and the update caused a system malfunction (According to the Netgear tech) that cannot be repaired. He told me that since my system is 2 1/2 years old, they will not replace it.
I argued that the system worked flawlessly for the whole time I had it and only failed after the update which just so happened to include a free trial of a virus protection system.
He said he would push it to a higher level and maybe they'll do something, but I'm not holding my breath.

The other weird thing is that my Arlo (Security Cam) also made by Netgear went out about 2 weeks ago and cannot be repaired either.

Man, I'm having some bad luck with Netgear lately.
What really sucks is that both worked great the whole time and just crapped out.

Anyone else having issues?

Last edited:
I have been getting the Orbi messages about the virus protection. Now I know not to opt in.

I also have Orbi and Arlo, so I am going to be very careful about updates. Honestly, if I didn't have this AC3000 setup, I would probably just run an older AC68U router. Can't kill those.

considering the following setup for Cox preferred 150 plan.

Amazon product ASIN B06WVCB862
Amazon product ASIN B019ZY1ZWS
anyone have experience with either of these? Is this a good enough modem for this mesh system or a nighthawk?
That's similar to what I'm running now.
MY TP-Link is another generation (M4) but almost the same. They have a tower-style base.
Like the ORBI, I pay for 150 and get about 200 MBS.

What's better than ORBI is:
Less than half the price or better.
One base, two satellites. Any of the three can be the base if you like. The Orbi I had was 1 base, 1 satellite.
Coverage is at least as good and perhaps a little better.

I just bought a wired security camera system and needed another ethernet port so I also included the network switch I'm running.

MOTOROLA 24x8 Cable Modem, Model MB7621, DOCSIS 3.0. Approved by Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable, and More. Downloads 1,000 Mbps Maximum (No WiFi)

TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi System – Seamless Roaming, Adaptive Routing, Up to 5, 500 Sq. ft. Coverage, Connect Up to 100 Devices (Deco M4 3-Pack)
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc

TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Ethernet Splitter | Sturdy Metal w/ Shielded Ports | Life Time Warranty| Plug-and-Play | Traffic Optimization | Unmanaged (TL-SG105)

Great info Swampy. Do you have Ethernet coming off of any of the satélites or is the switch the only option? Also how do you feel about the app? Parental control is something I’m looking for but also intuitive and easy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom