Wildlife in your own yard (1 Viewer)

ohhh or this. hard to tell size, but if small, could be.

Its about 5 inches long. I live in a very rural part of Sulphur, LA. I'm thinking some kind of flying squirrel but I didn't know they were nocturnal.

Any of you naturalists want to take a shot at this?

1571503875165.png

I think the main suspects are coyote, fox, bobcat, feral cat, or stray dog.

This is all right by the ingress to under my shed. Could be a family of something living under there. If that's the case, should I take steps to identify and remove them or just let them live?

Raccoons usually have really dark poop like that. It's toxic to humans, so don't eat it or something.

Its about 5 inches long. I live in a very rural part of Sulphur, LA. I'm thinking some kind of flying squirrel but I didn't know they were nocturnal.

oh thats a pack rat.

( sugar gliders are native to Australia )

oh thats a pack rat.

( sugar gliders are native to Australia )

today, i found that my dogs somehow snuck an opossum into their house. i knew something was weird last night with them, but oh well.

wanted to take a picture, but the dogs kept trying to guard it. i mean, wtf? it is a dead opossum sitting in what looks like a murder scene.

i honestly thought it was a really fat cat at first till i saw the tail etc. after riga mortis, that forker must have weighed 25 lbs, wrapped in a sheet. it was a good 20" long (lol) and the largest (lol) i have seen yet. plus it was male, i thought only the females get that large.

today, i found that my dogs somehow snuck an opossum into their house. i knew something was weird last night with them, but oh well.

wanted to take a picture, but the dogs kept trying to guard it. i mean, What the Fork!? it is a dead opossum sitting in what looks like a murder scene.

i honestly thought it was a really fat cat at first till i saw the tail etc. after riga mortis, that forker must have weighed 25 lbs, wrapped in a sheet. it was a good 20" long (lol) and the largest (lol) i have seen yet. plus it was male, i thought only the females get that large.

What were they doing with it in there?

What were they doing with it in there?
probably playing with it, but my boxer mix likes to kill, so i'll go with her.

also, they have their own house and i'll usually just let them out of it when i'm home so no telling when they brought it in. they were hiding it under one of their beds (full size double) even though there was a blood trail and a massive pool in front of it.

Mostly common stuff for me:
Fire ants
June bugs
Grackles
Dragonflies
rabbits
squirrels
a ton of crickets for a few weeks
occasional vulture

Only thing slightly exotic was a caracara that was eating a baby bird that fell out of a nest.

I live in the country in south Ms. Racoons,possums,poisonous,and non poisonous snakes,deer,red fox,coyote,bald eagle,hawks
rabbits,squirrels,and even peacocks have visited my yard.

I haven't seen one,but this photo was taken 2 miles from my house. Bears are extremely rare,but they are here.

Gulfport bear.jpg

They used to be rare here too, but not anymore. They're in pools and trash cans and seemingly everywhere in NW FL now.

The only real wildlife to mention here is this sill Heron that absolutely does not care if you're near him. He will eat out of your pocket.
20191014_191805~2.jpg

They used to be rare here too, but not anymore. They're in pools and trash cans and seemingly everywhere in NW FL now.

The only real wildlife to mention here is this sill Heron that absolutely does not care if you're near him. He will eat out of your pocket.
20191014_191805~2.jpg
duh. bears ain't dumb yo. they learned from yogi. they know how many people head to jail in florida. they are just there to raid the empty houses.

brilliant.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom