Wildlife in your own yard (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't live in the country - but I do live in an old subdivision and 500 yards from a river, and I get quite a bit of wildlife around the house.

What about y'all - what animals have you seen in or around your house?

I have seen the following animals:
- A healthy red fox must live near my house, I see him all the time. I don't ever see rabbits so I'm not sure what he's eating. Probably rabbits that's why I don't see them. I saw him as I left the driveway this morning.
- Opossums, raccoons (especially in the late spring they come out in the daytime to eat berries off the trees)
- Rat snakes, blue-tailed skinks
- A red hawk used to live in the trees in my neighbor's house across the street. One day I was watching TV and my cat was laying in the sun by a window. Then all of a sudden BOOM, something smacked the sheet out of the window. I looked and saw it was the red hawk - I think it was swooping down to get our cat and smashed into the window. Stupid bird. I haven't seen it since, I wonder if it was injured from that.
- Ospreys. Man they're everywhere along that river. I hear them chirping to each other all day when I'm home..
- Blue herons. They don't usually come near the yard but we have a fountain with goldfish in it. There used to be a tree over it but we lost that tree last year. A couple of months later, I caught a blue heron having a buffet of goldfish. I guess they couldn't see the fish from above when the tree used to be there.
- Bald eagle - there is a nesting pair up the river, they rarely fly over the house but I have seen them above the house a couple of times.
- Deer (white tail) - in the spring deer move through our neighborhood. We typically get a few sightings in the yard - most often in the late afternoon (which kind of surprised me).

Last edited:
Garter snakes, skinks, salamanders, possums, armadillos, hawks, raccoons, coyotes and foxes.
Live at the southern edge of BR by the swamps.
Saturday morning pulled a pair of jeans off a shelf in my closet and an 18” snake fell on the floor.
Must have slithered in through the porch door.
Wife freaked ?

My neighbor feeds stray cats nonstop, so it's not unusual to pull in at night and see about 8 cats lounging about in the driveway or in the dirt area that I pretend is actually grass from my yard. However, a few weeks ago, I pulled in, saw the normal reflection of all the cat eyes and then I saw something else. The cats were all surrounding a medium sized fawn, who was also just chillin as if it belonged there. None of them moved until I was fully in my driveway, and even then they kind of stood up, stretched and slowly went off as if I were interrupting their meeting.

Other than that, I have a few moles, raccoons, small snakes, spiders galore, a few paired up birds that stay in the area and of course squirrels that have now decided they need to come look through the backdoor glass.

Just moved into new subdivision in Covington
So far- Osprey, bobcat, water moccasin, deer...and just last night killed a juvenille copperhead just outside my garage ( fall is coming so im assuming they are looking for warmer places ), Owls, woodpeckers....my wife bought binoculars to check out all the birds

then there is this - embedded in concrete on street ( several - i just took this one to id it ) - Coyote tracks

Previous subdivision- gators, Bald Eagles ( that would fish in our pond which was AWESOME to watch ), had an Eastern Screech Owl nest in tree. ( and all the above )

Attachments

• 20190512_165453.jpg
    20190512_165453.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 24
We live on the backside of a large neighborhood. Behind our back fence is a narrow area of nature preserve and then ballfields.

We have a lot of friggin squirrels running the trees.
Often see hawks and there is also an osprey that hunts through there, I have seen it carrying a squirrel more than once.
Have to be careful with our little dog because I have heard a big owl in those woods.
I have heard something bigger than a raccoon walking through the brush, but I don't know what it is.
Working in the yard a few weeks ago, found a big Florida Softshell turtle. Had to relocate him to the preserve area across the street and behind those houses that has water.
Since we are in FL, we have lots of frogs and lizards. Lots. I mean . . . an army. And when you have lizards and frogs, you have black snakes.
Oh . . . I forgot about our woodpecker! He's cool. Me and Gumbo watch and listen to him while drinking coffee on weekend mornings.

Live out in the country here in Ohio. All the usual stuff....skunks, coyotes, squirrels, deer, ECT ECT. I do alot of fires out at night with the kids and we listen to the woods and try to identify what we hear. We have a great horned owl that likes to talk back and forth with us but last night we had a new one to us that I'd never noticed before......flying squirrels. Had several of them chirping around the house last night.

We live adjacent to a park with a creek.

Wife spotted 2 foxes in the front yard early morning
We've pulled rat snakes, copperheads, and brown snakes out of the pool
Plenty of bats
Saw a falcon carrying a snake through the trees in the backyard
Rabbit seems to live back there. I assume it's the same one each morning.

That's all so far, but we've only been there 2 months.

Old house we had skunk-sprayed dog incident twice :covri:

Live out in the country here in Ohio. All the usual stuff....skunks, coyotes, squirrels, deer, ECT ECT. I do alot of fires out at night with the kids and we listen to the woods and try to identify what we hear. We have a great horned owl that likes to talk back and forth with us but last night we had a new one to us that I'd never noticed before......flying squirrels. Had several of them chirping around the house last night.

In the early summer, we have whippoorwills in the neighborhood. They're pretty small so you don't see them - but you sure do hear them for a few weeks.

My current spot... mostly lizards and various birds. We got those Muscovy ducks hanging around lately.

When I was in Fort Lauderdale, at the edge of down town, but near the ocean, we would occasionally get Foxes and peacocks.

When we lived on the beach, I actually never saw the sea turtles, but we'd see some crabs and various jelly fish / man o wars on the beach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom