Wildlife in your own yard (2 Viewers)

I live in a suburban area, directly in front of a small lake, so I see a ton of wildlife. I see tons of songbirds (I also feed them), several hawks (mainly Cooper's, but also Sharp-shinned, Red-shouldered, and very rarely, Red-tailed), Osprey, Turkey Vultures, Black Vultures, gulls, ducks, Bald Eagles (in fact there is a pair that are obsessed with perching on some of the tall electrical towers in my neighborhood) squirrels, the occasional groundhog, beaver, opossum, racoon, Great Blue Herons, Green Herons, tons of butterflies, dragonflies, damselflies, etc., several turtles, fish, geese, and more that I can't think of at the moment.

As you can tell by how many birds I mention that I'm a birder, and a wildlife photographer. I'll post a few pics if anyone wants to see.

Last edited:
I do live in an old subdivision...and I get quite a bit of wildlife around the house.
Same, only substitute on a lake for near a river. And the other side of a long ridge nearby is under serious rez development, displacing lots of critters. :mad1:

We've got the same fauna as you, minus the bald eagle but plus Canada geese, mallards, chipmunk infestation this year, and coyotes who can't seem to catch them. Neighbor also recently saw a bear.

The lake is breamming, bassing, and giant grass-eating carping. Lots of turtles. Lots of birdies, especially hummers.

It's a happy place.

Same, only substitute on a lake for near a river. And the other side of a long ridge nearby is inder serious rez development, displacing lots of critters.

We've got the same fauna as you, minus the bald eagle but plus Canada geese, mallards, chipmunk infestation this year, and coyotes who can't seem to catch them. Neighbor also recently saw a bear.

The lake is breamming, bassing, and giant grass-eating carping. Lots of turtles. Lots of birdies, especially hummers.

It's a happy place.

A bear! Cool. What state?

Same, only substitute on a lake for near a river. And the other side of a long ridge nearby is under serious rez development, displacing lots of critters. :mad1:

It's a happy place.
ohhh we have those- Canadian Geese.

Mean too. They walk in single file line and dgaf if you are behind them in a car. They never yield the right of way.

IMG_0705.jpeg

Moose are common in Newfoundland (some estimates are around 100,000; there's only 500,000 people on the island) but that doesn't mean you'll easily see one. Earlier this spring, two went down my street and continued around the corner. I've spent most of my life here and that's the first time this has happened. P.S. That Civic has also been to New Orleans. :cool:

I was kind of surprised to find out that a couple of Atlanta's sports teams are aptly named. Falcons and hawks are really common to see. Our backyard is thick with trees and small brush. Our most common residents are chipmunks and cottontail rabbits.

Plenty of rabbits. Hawks and owls on occasion, and plenty of bats in the evening. I've seen foxes nearby, and we even had three deer show up a few doors down after they wandered into our circle from the nearby Highline Canal. Lots of raccoons, including one that used to come in our garage and steal the catfood. And lots of coyotes, including one that stole the cat (no more cats for us after that).

We live in the burbs, close to a lake. We have tons of rabbits in our backyard that like to graze and nest. We also have a large bobcat population nearby. I've spotted mom with her kittens on several occasions and have had some in my backyard. My 4 year old son said "look dad, that's a big kitty cat" when he saw one chilling on our backyard patio, lol. I opened the door and it litterally jumped an 8 foot fence with ease. Other than this, we'll have snake, coyotes, huge birds including vultures.

A bear! Cool. What state?
Georgia, north of Atlanta. Black bears aren't scarce, and it's probably new construction pushing them around.

Awhile back, a bear was found wandering around GA400 near Perimeter Mall, if you're familiar with ATL. There're woods over there still, but bear woods?!

We live in the burbs, close to a lake. We have tons of rabbits in our backyard that like to graze and nest. We also have a large bobcat population nearby. I've spotted mom with her kittens on several occasions and have had some in my backyard. My 4 year old son said "look dad, that's a big kitty cat" when he saw one chilling on our backyard patio, lol. I opened the door and it litterally jumped an 8 foot fence with ease. Other than this, we'll have snake, coyotes, huge birds including vultures.

That's cool - I have heard that bobcats sightings are actually rare, they're very stealthy and well camouflaged.

Also, I realize now that this thread is like old people sitting around talking about the animals in the yard. I'm getting old. :covri:

ohhh we have those- Canadian Geese.

Mean too. They walk in single file line and dgaf if you are behind them in a car. They never yield the right of way.
Yeah, they're fun to watch flying back to Canada, but I can do without them here. They're ornery, they pick at the lawn, and they crap everywhere.

They are graceful and water landings are cool. Biggest squadron I've seen hanging around was 16; there are four out there now.

Most of them take off after Thanksgiving, but a few overwinter. Suckas that did last year got an ugly surprise during a cold snap:
Pond ice 2018.jpg

One couple had some kids year before last and the fuzzy goslings are cute. Then they grow up and behave like adults. :poop:?

Blame Canada!

IMG_0705.jpeg

Moose are common in Newfoundland (some estimates are around 100,000; there's only 500,000 people on the island) but that doesn't mean you'll easily see one. Earlier this spring, two went down my street and continued around the corner. I've spent most of my life here and that's the first time this has happened. P.S. That Civic has also been to New Orleans. :cool:

thats bad arse.

and so is that Civic to Nawlins

But you didnt happen to stop in St. Louis and ask directions, huh??? ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom